U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 11:35 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,277,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMG721 View Post
First of all, you're giving people way too much credit. I seriously doubt any member of this forum is putting in the time and effort to try and trick newcomers into staying away by strategically saying bad things about Charlotte. You and I can both spot the people who don't want new people to come to Charlotte. They say things like "Go back to New York!" They are really obvious about their intentions. Nothing sneaky about them.

Secondly, I think it's a bit much to compare staying in a city that you don't like and staying with a spouse who physically abuses you. I would even suggest that such an analogy is in poor taste. This is the worst economy since the 1930s. A lot of people aren't going to give up a job in this environment just because they don't like the nightlife or culture of the city in which they're living. Or what about a person who can't move because they're underwater on their home? Further, a lot of the complainers probably ARE looking for jobs elsewhere, trying to sell their homes, etc, but unable to do so right now. So telling them to "shut up until they move away" is essentially doing the very thing that Ani was telling the forum NOT to do.

And again I have to ask, why do you and so many others CARE whether new people come to Charlotte? Are you a member of the Chamber of Commerce or something?
You missed Urban's point.

First of all, no regular posters are "putting in the time and effort to try and trick newcomers into staying away by strategically saying bad things about Charlotte" - BUT you'd be surprised how often we are accused of that!

It happens frequently. THAT'S all Urban was saying about that.

On the second point, he was speaking about people's credibility. You may think his analogy was "in poor taste", but it gets the point across brilliantly.

It IS hard to find constant complainers about Charlotte credible in any way, shape or form if they aren't actively doing something to get out of their situation.

Many people are, but there are people here who aren't.

Those who aren't, are like vampires sucking the life blood out of the city and then having the gall to disdain their "victim".

They stay for the cheaper housing, the better weather, whatever - but then constantly let us know how miserable they are for doing so

Well, all I can say is, it can't be THAT bad, or you would have found a way to leave in the last 20 years - which equals them having no credibility for their opinions being fair and unbiased.

NO ONE here works for the Chamber of Commerce either. But we get that comment all the time too just for trying to give the most realistic picture we can of life in Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 11:36 AM

3,450 posts, read 3,130,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I am always puzzled when people take it so personally when someone expresses disappointment with this town. The snippy remarks of "just leave" or "it must be YOU - this city has it all" are not only dismissive, but indicate an inability to look beyond one's personal preferences and experiences. If folks don't agree w/ what a poster has to say, why jump on the bandwagon to "prove them wrong?" If what they say doesn't measure up to someone else's experiences, then explain why, sure . . . but it shouldn't get personal
But it's bi-directional thing regarding the personal issue. I think the people with negative opinions of a place tend to get little upset when there isn't unified bandwagon of agreement. They'll continually post, re-post, post, re-post until they get a few amens and all of sudden it's now fact. And for the life of them, they can't come to terms with why some people (or maybe a majority) enjoy living here. You have to be willing to meet things/people half-way without coming across as condescending, Charlotte is really a small town compared to a tier one or world city (NYC, Chicago, London, etc).

No one is avoiding constructive criticism but to belabor the point that a mid-size cities lacks amenities of a major city to ad nasuem is why the so-called cheerleaders simply get tired of responding and result to well, kiss my a$$, you need to move on.

I mean, really, how many times do you need to be told that the mass transit, symphony, opera, nightlife etc. isn't on par with fill-in-the-blank. What I've noticed on this site is that most Charlotte cheerleaders with experience living other places provide objective non-biased opinions with what to expect here and what not to expect.

Also, realistically, people don't generally relocate to places like Charlotte on a whim like NYC, DC, Vegas, Miami, LA, etc without a job, even in a good economy. It's a family town, so most people inquiring about moving here are probably family oriented and I highly doubt decisions are so knee-jerk. But if someone did find a job in 6 weeks or 2 months, what's wrong with the postive response? Jobs are competitive everywhere and I don't think an area that has 1 or 2 percentage better employment numbers would prevent me from pursuing an opportunity if Charlotte was high on the geographical preference.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:44 PM

35,885 posts, read 66,993,147 times
I feel like several folks who have posted in response to my post took things personally, and I find that disturbing as well as indicative of the effort the reliable, concerned, truly helpful folks put into responding to queries on this forum.

It is kind of demoralizing to see that the very people who I think provide some of the BEST info here seem to feel I was directing my comments to them.

AU CONTRAIRE!!! URBAN: I feel you try to be measured and optimistic in your advice, but you are not what (in my opinion) would be termed a "cheerleader." I also have directed folks to your videos and have stated that I personally think your videos are a great way for newcomers (or folks thinking of transferring here) to get a "feel" for the city. You try to give a balanced picture of what you have found in Charlotte. I profoundly apologize if my post came off as in any way questioning your info or your motives.

ARISTOTLE: I get the feeling you think I was directing some of my comments to you, as well. You have provided excellent insight and insist on intellectual honesty. Now, I might not always see things the same way you do, but it is like looking through a prism -- sometimes a different facet of a subject brings a different view -- and you are so good at bringing that type of examination to discussions.

I understand what you are saying about hearing/reading the same types of "complaints" over and over, but if the issues are being newly brought up by a newbie poster here, then they will undoubtedly be re-hashed again. Several years ago, we all agreed that perhaps it was a good idea to refer new posters to earlier threads where "the horse had already been beaten to death," hee hee - or at best - well discussed. Just b/c we regulars have heard it all before, it doesn't mean the insights (or opinions - however you want to label them) are invalid or without merit.

For anyone who wants to know why members of this forum CARE about having folks move here (and be content here) . . . I believe everyone wants folks here who will add to our communities, add to our tax base, support and help our businesses grow. We just want a healthy city (both fiscally and physically). We want people who care about being good citizens, who care about the environment, who care about preventing crime. We want folks here who will be vested in preserving the good things about our infrastructure and who look forward to building and developing more and better infrastructure.

When you move to any city, your money is helping that city develop and grow. This makes a better city for everyone who lives there. That is why folks care about people moving here and being satisfied with the move.

ETA: What I haven't addressed is the implication in some of what has been posted that somehow I am not cheerleader enough for Charlotte. I don't even know how to respond to that. Charlotte is not my favorite city in the USA, but it is my home. Pretending I am thrilled about every aspect of life here might make others feel more comfortable but it wouldn't be realistic for people asking questions and it certainly wouldn't be authentic. I don't think my mission in life is to "sell" the planet on Charlotte but I do believe in helping folks create realistic expectations and find their niche, their tribe, their happiness zone. I would hope the information I provide has assisted others with that over the years.

Last edited by brokensky; 08-13-2012 at 01:56 PM..

Old 08-13-2012, 02:18 PM

6,270 posts, read 9,989,732 times
Quote:
AU CONTRAIRE!!! URBAN: I feel you try to be measured and optimistic in your advice, but you are not what (in my opinion) would be termed a "cheerleader." I also have directed folks to your videos and have stated that I personally think your videos are a great way for newcomers (or folks thinking of transferring here) to get a "feel" for the city. You try to give a balanced picture of what you have found in Charlotte. I profoundly apologize if my post came off as in any way questioning your info or your motives.
Fair enough then ((((((hugs))))))). Keep in mind though that I am sick today (have been for the last 3 days) and I've been quarantined by the wife and kids. They're out watching a movie and eating ice cream while I'm stuck in bed blogging with my virtual friends. I'm a little extra sensitive and emotional today so please forgive me. I just want some ice cream too dammit!!!

Old 08-13-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Fair enough then ((((((hugs))))))). Keep in mind though that I am sick today (have been for the last 3 days) and I've been quarantined by the wife and kids. They're out watching a movie and eating ice cream while I'm stuck in bed blogging with my virtual friends. I'm a little extra sensitive and emotional today so please forgive me. I just want some ice cream too dammit!!!
Trust me, there is nothing to forgive! I felt awful that I had written anything that would upset/hurt a trusted, valued member of this forum. However, as you doubtless know -- I am always looking for a hug!!!

I had the good fortune of a house guest sending me a Cuisinart ice cream maker as a thank you gift! I have the easiest recipe on the planet for ice cream. You must get one! No more ice cream deprivation! (Makes good frozen yogurt, too).

PS. I took my house guest to the Whitewater center while she was here. I didn't mean to make it sound like I don't appreciate the Whitewater center . . . truly, it was just an off the top of my head example.

Please feel better soon. We are counting on you to do vids of the DNC convention. I was hoping you would livestream some for us . . .

Old 08-13-2012, 02:39 PM

6,270 posts, read 9,989,732 times
Quote:
Please feel better soon. We are counting on you to do vids of the DNC convention. I was hoping you would livestream some for us . . .
Wish I could, but I'm actually counting on others to livestream the events for me. I have plans of taking the familily on a DC trip that week. I've honestly never seen DC during a time when the political spot light of the president is out of town. IMO, it seems like the perfect time to catch DC (it is also the week that we normally do our last Summer trip before it gets too cold; not even a DNC in Charlotte is enough for me to cancel an annual thing).

On a more negative note (sorry), I don't think that I want to be in Charlotte during what could be Charlotte's ugliest event. I've seen the images from the G20 in Pittsburgh and I must admit that I'm a little bit concerned about the beautiful properties we all love uptown.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Wish I could, but I'm actually counting on others to livestream the events for me. I have plans of taking the familily on a DC trip that week. I've honestly never seen DC during a time when the political spot light of the president is out of town. IMO, it seems like the perfect time to catch DC (it is also the week that we normally do our last Summer trip before it gets too cold; not even a DNC in Charlotte is enough for me to cancel an annual thing).

On a more negative note (sorry), I don't think that I want to be in Charlotte during what could be Charlotte's ugliest event. I've seen the images from the G20 in Pittsburgh and I must admit that I'm a little bit concerned about the beautiful properties we all love uptown.
I totally understand where you are coming from w/ your concerns. I pray that there won't be the behavior we have seen elsewhere -- storefront windows broken, cars overturned, and real violence in the streets. It sure has happened, even in such laid back cities as Seattle.

Hubby reminded me last night that about 35,000 people are coming to Charlotte. That's more than a convention (he said) . . . That is a town.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:45 PM

3,914 posts, read 3,939,788 times
[quote=anifani821;25619477....
Hubby reminded me last night that about 35,000 people are coming to Charlotte. That's more than a convention (he said) . . . That is a town.[/quote]

This compares to 78,000+ attending the ACC Football Championship which is also televised on national TV.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:50 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,277,742 times
Quote:
Awwwwww Well knowing Ani there is nothing to forgive

Feel better my friend!!!!

Old 08-13-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
This compares to 78,000+ attending the ACC Football Championship which is also televised on national TV.
Gosh, I didn't know we had a venue that would hold 78k people on any given day.

I guess the comparison stops at hotel room bookings, cause I don't believe you can compare a crowd made up of football fans to buses of folks being carted in to stage protests, thousands plopping themselves down with placards and bullhorns, and the real possibility of a nutball in the crowd.

And although there is certainly sports media in town for collegiate championships, I don't think the big name anchors and pundits typically show up in the numbers that we will have in Charlotte for the DNC. There will be media equipment/vans/satellites all over the place. If I were adventuresome, I would venture downtown just to check that out (and see if I could get a photo with Anderson Cooper).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte