Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2012, 07:45 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Washington DC is a great tourist destination... However traffic sucks, and it just doesn't seem desirable for me to live in... Too expensive, etc. I rather be in DC than CLT... But living wise... It's nearly the same... (unless you're talking downtowns)
I'd have to disagree with this. Ironically, the downtowns are probably where they might have the most similarities, since DC's downtown is mostly an office and tourist center. Living pretty much anywhere else in DC will be a bit different from Charlotte, even in some of the suburbs. DC is overall much more urban and has huge suburban office centers and the availability of mass transit.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:58 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'd have to disagree with this. Ironically, the downtowns are probably where they might have the most similarities, since DC's downtown is mostly an office and tourist center. Living pretty much anywhere else in DC will be a bit different from Charlotte, even in some of the suburbs. DC is overall much more urban and has huge suburban office centers and the availability of mass transit.
There are so many wonderful neighborhoods in DC. That is what I find so attractive. There is a bit of comparison b/n Charlotte neighborhoods and DC neighborhoods, but the scale is so different, of course. Easy access to venues, too. Like the transit system . . . I set my kids up in Old Towne after college (in the 90s), my Aunt lived in Georgetown for 40 years, friends lived off DuPont Circle and Embassy Row. Last time I was in DC, I spent time checking out Adams Morgan and think that would be a wonderful area. If I were to move at this stage of my life, I would definitely be considering something around DC.

I agree - downtown DC is very much like downtown Charlotte. Workers leave and . . . that's that . . .

Old 08-09-2012, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
There are so many wonderful neighborhoods in DC. That is what I find so attractive. There is a bit of comparison b/n Charlotte neighborhoods and DC neighborhoods, but the scale is so different, of course. Easy access to venues, too. Like the transit system . . . I set my kids up in Old Towne after college (in the 90s), my Aunt lived in Georgetown for 40 years, friends lived off DuPont Circle and Embassy Row. Last time I was in DC, I spent time checking out Adams Morgan and think that would be a wonderful area. If I were to move at this stage of my life, I would definitely be considering something around DC.
Definitely. I just hate that the COL is so darn high!

Quote:
I agree - downtown DC is very much like downtown Charlotte. Workers leave and . . . that's that . . .
Well both downtowns have been doing better over the years, especially Charlotte where it's more lively after hours towards the latter part of the week into the weekend. But residentially, although there are really nice neighborhoods downtown, neither city's urban core is really seen as *the* place to live; that honor goes to more historic surrounding neighborhoods. Both downtowns have yet to become all-around more livable and that's seen in the lack of retail for one (although downtown DC has a few department stores and other stuff; still lacking for a city its size).

Old 08-09-2012, 08:12 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Definitely. I just hate that the COL is so darn high!

Well both downtowns have been doing better over the years, especially Charlotte where it's more lively after hours towards the latter part of the week into the weekend. But residentially, although there are really nice neighborhoods downtown, neither city's urban core is really seen as *the* place to live; that honor goes to more historic surrounding neighborhoods. Both downtowns have yet to become all-around more livable and that's seen in the lack of retail for one (although downtown DC has a few department stores and other stuff; still lacking for a city its size).
Very good insight. I agree. I honestly cannot imagine living in downtown Charlotte right now, even tho I do believe there is potential there. Not enough retail/conveniences there for me to feel comfortable. I have everything I need very close by where I am, and I like it that way.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:38 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,992,422 times
tl;dr

Thank you for not complaining about the pizza here too.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:42 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,028,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
Well, since I don't live in CLT I'll take my leave here and leave this guy for someone else to do battle with.
Not worth my time at $3.00 perhour that I currently make. You know "time is money"
Hey... it ain't no Forest Hills, that's fo sho...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
I think the vast majority of people who complain here about Charlotte don't actually live in what I call, the real Charlotte. Instead, they bought the nice big tract home in a subdivision with streets named to spark imagery of some made up notion. The only criteria seems to be "what are the SAT scores of the schools". They shop & eat in national retail chains that have nothing to do with Charlotte and the only real sense of community they have in these places is the one they left behind. They complain about everything including the high price of the yankee food that's only sold in high priced stores in CLT, because none of the locals will eat the stuff.

So it's no wonder people become disillusioned. Their little manufactured utopia out on the fringes and beyond of I-485, where every place looks just like every other place, isn't going to tie them to the traditional and historic communities of Charlotte. As I read this forum, I almost never see anything about anyone doing anything with any clubs, organizations, volunteer work, etc etc within the city itself. Journeys into Charlotte involve going to a few sports games or getting drunk and that mess of a place, the epicenter. People want Charlotte to provide them culture, sense of community, whatever where ever, but they are never interested in participation where they help to create such things themselves. Sorry, it doesn't work that way.

So I don't blame you. The world you created for yourself, beyond living through your kids and participating work drama, sucks. When you move, try not to create the same thing again. The problems that you create for yourself are not caused by the failings of others.
I believe you're taking the OP out of context with the intention to try and get in your patented digs about the "real" Charlotte. When we all know you're living outside 485 yourself (albeit at "the lake" - aka dirty flooded nuclear plant cooling river)... But hey, who am I to talk - I myself am living in the "world you created for yourself" of cow pastures... But we're not all complaining about it... Some of us realize that - we get what we get and we don't get upset. We moved into this eyes wide open. Don't paint with too wide a brush please.

In general, I agree with you on the whole here. Many seem to have fallen into this cycle of complaining to complain. When every single one of us knows that the right thing to do is to come to the table with solutions, suggestions, ideas, or be constructive - many would rather just fling poo. Heck, I would love to see less chains and more local businesses - some of the OP's rants ring true. But, I'm not helping so why pile on?

One thing that I think you need to be careful of here is riding both sides of the fence... You can't jump on transplants for not being involved while riding on them coming down looking to change things. It's a fine line don't you think? Also, we have to realize that these forums do not fully represent the area - it's just a bunch of us blow holes who like to hear ourselves talk.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Very good insight. I agree. I honestly cannot imagine living in downtown Charlotte right now, even tho I do believe there is potential there. Not enough retail/conveniences there for me to feel comfortable. I have everything I need very close by where I am, and I like it that way.
Agreed. The last neighborhood I lived in when I was a Charlottean was Dilworth. Had everything I needed in the neighborhood or close by and I was within walking distance of LYNX; a win all around for me.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:36 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,974,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post

I believe you're taking the OP out of context with the intention to try and get in your patented digs about the "real" Charlotte. .
My post wasn't directed towards the OP as that party has a plan, and your commentary suggests that I hit a home run. No matter. My post is for rest that continue to contend that elsewhere is better. If this doesn't apply to you then there should be no need for to have responded to me at all.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:16 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,650,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post

One thing that I think you need to be careful of here is riding both sides of the fence... You can't jump on transplants for not being involved while riding on them coming down looking to change things. It's a fine line don't you think? Also, we have to realize that these forums do not fully represent the area - it's just a bunch of us blow holes who like to hear ourselves talk.
Very true...

Old 08-09-2012, 01:33 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,028,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
My post wasn't directed towards the OP as that party has a plan, and your commentary suggests that I hit a home run. No matter. My post is for rest that continue to contend that elsewhere is better. If this doesn't apply to you then there should be no need for to have responded to me at all.
I replied in the larger picture of others reading your comments and not hearing the other side. You've hit many a home run here and I encourage you to keep posting... I just would be personally happier if you would occasionally acknowledge that the suburban vinyl subdivision hatte you so often label outside 51 isn't nearly as bad as what you represent it as every opportunity you get. Especially when you compare it to the Northern suburbs side of town - which will always escape your wrath because you chose to live there.

Honestly, taking the time to read the OP, there's no specifics about an area and reading through the following posts, much of it could have come from someone living anywhere from Kings Mtn, to just outside Eastover, smack in Uptown, to Mint Hill... I didn't see how the comments I quoted weren't directed at either the OP or subsequent replies... none of which made it about certain areas within the Charlotte metro. Thus I came to a conclusion that you were simply just taking a cheap shot... thus my reply!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte