Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2012, 01:52 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,897,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monksy View Post
Why would the londoners like it here? Less rain, cheaper, less taxes, faster speeds on the highways, higher salary, can own a car.
Why would they hate it hear: lack of focus in the arts, lack of good pubs, bad public transport, high quality food

Favourite restraunts being in Charlotte rather than london LMAO... Their dry humor went over your head

Yes, "excellent restaurants" as opposed to paying $100 for a pretty good steak or seafood dinner at a really nice restaurant. Most people that come here from London don't move here for the arts but take advantage and enjoy what we have. Many Londoners are often transferred here but are generally pleasantly surprised with their new environments and many wish to stay.

I didn't know we had a lack of "good pubs." I don't know what you know about England, particularly London, but the old form of pub is fading away and being replaced by the more uptown bar as you would see here and wine bars or in the cooler parts of London. But, I think that is unfortunate that the old pub atmosphere is becoming a thing of the past. More and more people there are drinking at home as pub beer and drinks are so expensive.

Finally, not everyone that lives in London live in center town. They have suburbs and in many areas cars are needed, ie. I have friends in Purley, Ruislip, and other areas where they need cars, so in many cases a car isn't a new luxury and most don't mind, especially with the luxury of a GPS. But, it doesn't seem to be an issue with most.

No matter where a Londoner moves, there is no other place in the world anything like London. It is unique and anyone that wishes to leave wouldn't likely do so without knowing what is being forfeited.

Last edited by vindaloo; 08-14-2012 at 02:12 PM..

Old 08-14-2012, 02:16 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,278,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SueLagoo View Post
Charlotte, in my experience, celebrates mediocrity. It is what it is until someone with big dreams and a whole bunch of time/money comes along and dedicates themselves to making things better. The Levine family seems to be going down this path, which is encouraging. Maybe some other big local families will follow suit.
In the mean time, it's a good place to raise kids, as long as you take them out of town every once in a while to expose them to different manners of living (which I'd recommend no matter where you live).
For a long time I hated it here. Now, I'm indifferent to much of it. I've made my own little bubble world that's comfortable, and bide my time until the kids go off to college. I don't expect to spend my twilight years here, though. It's our place to stay until we 'go somewhere else'. So, to BlueHeron, you're not alone in your thoughts. I'm sure you knew that, but sometimes it's good to hear
I wouldn't necessarily say Charlotte celebrates mediocrity but it can't be something it isn't, a major city with major city amenities. There are some things the city does quite well. I'm not sure why some people think cheerleaders of Charlotte aren't acutely aware of the city's shortcomings and that everyone is all giggles about the place. That place doesn't exist, check out any of these forums...some people despise Houston, Atlanta, New York, Phoenix, etc for a variety of reasons. There are plenty of Bluehorns in every city....some wishing they could move to Charlotte.

What tickles me is that some folk actually think they're biding time and escaping to a much better place. No matter where you live people are gonna do just that, make their own little bubble and attempt to enjoy what the city/metro has to offer....it's no different than any other place.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:03 PM

495 posts, read 1,077,862 times
I didn't even touch the business and social environment of Charlotte, which is still largely a good ol' boys club favoring who you know and play golf with over what your skills and abilities are. In this city, women in high-paying, managerial or leadership positions are hired (when they even are, which is on rare occasions) more as CYA moves than from an actual egalitarian playing field or from a sincere position of respect. It really bothers me, even though I'm a guy, because I came out of the Silicon Valley culture that focused solely on what you could produce and the brilliance of your ideas and execution, not what chromosomes you happen to have. In Silicon Valley, we didn't even have exclusive clubs or golf courses for people to self-congratulate themselves over their status or wealth. But if you look at the number of powerful male Charlotteans and their choice of wives (trophy wives, not spouses of intellectual equals), that tells you something right there. I've been quite successful professionally here, but I'm offended for women who don't have the same opportunities through no fault of their own. NEWSFLASH to Charlotte: it's not the 80s anymore.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:29 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,020,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueheronNC View Post
I didn't even touch the business and social environment of Charlotte, which is still largely a good ol' boys club favoring who you know and play golf with over what your skills and abilities are. In this city, women in high-paying, managerial or leadership positions are hired (when they even are, which is on rare occasions) more as CYA moves than from an actual egalitarian playing field or from a sincere position of respect. It really bothers me, even though I'm a guy, because I came out of the Silicon Valley culture that focused solely on what you could produce and the brilliance of your ideas and execution, not what chromosomes you happen to have. In Silicon Valley, we didn't even have exclusive clubs or golf courses for people to self-congratulate themselves over their status or wealth. But if you look at the number of powerful male Charlotteans and their choice of wives (trophy wives, not spouses of intellectual equals), that tells you something right there. I've been quite successful professionally here, but I'm offended for women who don't have the same opportunities through no fault of their own. NEWSFLASH to Charlotte: it's not the 80s anymore.
I'm really not buying that it's any different anywhere else. Silicon Valley may be less about clothes and golf as status symbols, but do you really think it's not about who you know? Beyond some basic skill level, it's always about who you know. I don't like it anymore than you do, but it's unfortunately the way it is in every field.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:32 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Believe me, some of us miss the way Charlotte was in the '80's

You sound really bitter and frustrated. How long before you can move and find your happy place again?

Life is too short to be miserable one minute longer than you have to be

Old 08-14-2012, 06:38 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,036,775 times
Quote:
YOU'VE NAILED IT!! I grew up believing that if I worked hard, was dependable, expanded my learning base and grew both as a person and as an employee, I would be rewarded with frequent raises and promotions.

NOT. I was recently just turned down for a promotion (again) for no particular reason despite the fact that my (computer generated) scores were all 5's (out of a possible 5) and the fact that I am already actually doing the job. But, I am not part of "the group" and not one of the "pretty people" so, I won't get promoted. End of story. And, (gasp!) there is no union be my advocate. Either I accept things as they are or go somewhere else. This is the story of my career. Been there 13 years now. Guess that is why I have a new degree now and will be attempting to find other employment elsewhere! (probably outside of Charlotte)

Ani, love your posts as always. You are 100% correct.

Bindi, I, too, have many English friends that live here. The only actual Londoners (as in people from the city of London, not the outlying suburbs) that I know that tolerate life in Charlotte are the ones that own the Big Ben pub in SouthEnd. And, they may not be Londoners, after all; seems like their team is ManU.
Other friends of mine from London who lived near to Charlotte actually moved to Atlanta because they couldn't stand it here. By contrast, another friend from Manchester (but, who had more recently lived in Maidstone outside of London) loves it here. He has jumped right into the culture. That's the point. Different people like/do different things.

Obviously, the folks that are moving here have their own opinions and their own thoughts. One family that posts here is moving here due to having family here. I do not plan to speak for everyone, nor was I trying to. However, I wanted to tell them as one who has been in London many, many times and whose son lived in Staffordshire for several years, that it is possible that they might find things to be a bit boring here. The culture difference is immense as you probably know. Many people cannot adapt. I am simply stating my opinion, which is allowed.

And, sorry Sue Lagoo... almost forgot to mention you, too. You are also spot-on.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:32 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,345,554 times
Quote:
I didn't even touch the business and social environment of Charlotte, which is still largely a good ol' boys club favoring who you know and play golf with over what your skills and abilities are.
And in a city of mostly transplants (like yourself), who created such a culture? Anyway, you (and others like you) will move on to the next place, take from it what you can, and contribute nothing. Meanwhile, there ARE folks here who are actually making a difference. Check out the following video:

NC Now | Harvest Moon Grille | UNC-TV - YouTube

These two ladies saw that the farm to table (non-chain) culture in Charlotte was lacking so THEY DID SOMETHING ABOUT IT!!! I seriously doubt that they came onto city-data with a 24 page fist-waving exercise.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
I'm really not buying that it's any different anywhere else. Silicon Valley may be less about clothes and golf as status symbols, but do you really think it's not about who you know? Beyond some basic skill level, it's always about who you know. I don't like it anymore than you do, but it's unfortunately the way it is in every field.
No, it's incredible the extent to which it's a meritocracy out there. And to whatever extent it isn't, it's not inequitably applied to being male v. female. I operate in what is considered a "conservative" high-paying profession where here in Charlotte, literally 95% of my group are males, and it's like that at every company within my field here in town. In Silicon Valley, it was pretty much 50/50. I don't buy that women out there just happen to be more capable than here, because I've seen specific instances where someone bringing massively brilliant credentials won't even get a phone screen here in Charlotte at any company despite having strong ties to the area, even though with the same resume and no ties to the Bay Area, the same person had companies competing against each other for her out in Silicon Valley.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
And in a city of mostly transplants (like yourself), who created such a culture?
The good ol' boy natives. This may be a city of transplants, but if you go up to the highest echelons in terms of who's calling the shots, you still get a heavy dose of Carolina, and a heavy dose of generational members of Quail Hollow or Charlotte Country Club, and attendees of Myers Park Presbyterian or United Methodist.

And wow, we've certainly stretched the definition of "transplant" when a guy who was born in Charleston, SC is considered a "transplant" for Charlotte purposes.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
And in a city of mostly transplants (like yourself), who created such a culture? Anyway, you (and others like you) will move on to the next place, take from it what you can, and contribute nothing. Meanwhile, there ARE folks here who are actually making a difference. Check out the following video:

NC Now | Harvest Moon Grille | UNC-TV - YouTube

These two ladies saw that the farm to table (non-chain) culture in Charlotte was lacking so THEY DID SOMETHING ABOUT IT!!! I seriously doubt that they came onto city-data with a 24 page fist-waving exercise.
You are so presumptuous. We can all play a role. If you realized the amount of cold, hard cash I've donated to this very movement, you wouldn't be so quick to castigate. and yes, money is sorely needed to establish the ties and programs and influence to get this thing off the ground. I'll probably continue to donate to it here long after I'm gone because I believe in it. I've also put in countless hours in my non-work time putting my actual sweat and elbow grease into endeavors such as these, and even find ways to parlay my professional experience to help out. I've done the same wherever I've lived - I don't kick back and veg on weekends, I'm out doing stuff for the community. It would also behoove you to actually know what an uphill climb and lack of reception these Harvest Moon people have had to deal with here in this Charlotte climate compared to their farm-to-table friends over in the Triangle because people just aren't receptive to it in these parts.

When you put forth so much effort and see the passive unawareness and unwillingness of locals to question their assumptions or the rote patterns of their lives to actually discover new things, that's what is so frustrating. It is not like that everywhere, and at the end of the day, you like to see some mileage for your efforts. So I'd rather live somewhere where the tangible impact can be felt and seen, and maybe one day Charlotte will be influenced by osmosis from outside instead of from within (a follower, not a leader, in keeping with Charlotte's m.o.).

Maybe one day you should ask yourself why VCs or private equity companies shun Charlotte almost wholesale in targeting investment opportunities despite the financial base, the growing population, the tax advantages and right-to-work policies, the level of education and entrepreneurial desire. It's because there's something about the people that just doesn't gel with their risk analysis compared to opportunities elsewhere. And yes, it's largely the people and the "leadership" style of Charlotteans that kills the deal.

Last edited by blueheronNC; 08-14-2012 at 07:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte