U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2012, 08:56 PM

5,869 posts, read 7,698,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theory87 View Post
The way people are harping on this comment kind of proves the OP's point. A lot (the majority?) of people who live here don't really care about the arts and look down on people who do.
I did not get the impression at all that those who made comments about the symphony/opera looked down on people that enjoy them, we just think it's a little silly that that would seem to be such an important factor in the OP not liking Charlotte. But as he/she said in the OP, he/she is entitled to his/her opinion.

Nonetheless, I do find it somewhat interesting that Charlotte is located almost smack in the middle of a lot of the other cities the OP mentioned, like Raleigh/Durham, Asheville, Charleston and Atlanta (which I guess would have to assume actually have a good symphony/opera). So assuming going to the symphony/opera is not a weekly occurrence, it is not that difficult for someone from Charlotte to go to one of those cities to enjoy a good symphony/opera (or anything else for that matter).

But to get away from the symphony/opera topic for a second, I think it's even more silly that one of the OP's seemingly other main reasons for not liking Charlotte is that people talk loud. Really? If one of your main reasons for not liking a place is because people talk too loudly, then I'd say you have a pretty good place there.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:34 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,469,341 times
I think part of the reason this thread took off, was that the critiques of Charlotte can be applied to just about any mid size city in the south. Which caused some head scratching.

When someone on the Portland forum says they're leaving because they just can't take the gloomy winters and rain anymore, people respond "Yeah, it's not for everyone.. good luck..." because it's an attribute of the city everyone can agree on. It makes more sense to leave Charlotte because you can't stand hearing about NASCAR or CMS every day.

But I suppose Charlotte is a bit different too, in that the boosters promote it as a big city, with major urban amenities. So there's some reflexive truth in the criticisms. If somebody originally "accepted the marketing" - yeah, they could become disappointed.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:08 AM

3,450 posts, read 3,131,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
Take a poll and ask all the transplants from Long Island (not the boros of NYC) if they had any interest in the arts before they moved to the city they are in love with now.My quess to the answer: No interest at all.
Too far to travel to the city. Too expensive. Have other things we love. Kids hate it. Hubby falls asleep. We go once a year to the local prodution of Sleeping Beauty at the High School.Don't understand the opera. Anybody can paint that. Hey, that's finger painting. My niece sings better than that.Too crowded.What else?
I don't think the poll results would vary that much between the boros and LI but I could be wrong. I think city's should invest in arts but comparing any mid-size city's quality of offerings to NYC or Chicago is mindboggling. During tough economic times, the professional arts revenue streams/budgets are going to be severely impacted - gifts and donations...not just here but everywhere, especially in the small to mid-size markets.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well . . . that is kind of what I was thinking, actually, Theory.

But I think you have to consider that Charlotte does not have a venerable old, firmly established, well-endowed Arts Institute/Museum, which in itself draws people to an area (both as students and then as patrons).

I think if we had that, there would be more residents here who had a tie and real interest in the success of such things as the symphony, opera, dance, etc.

I grew up feeling that was a deficit here and my opinion has not changed, especially after being able to take advantage of the wonderful programs offered in other cities through their Art Museums/Institutes.

I certainly don't prefer Opera to the exclusion of other music . . . but that was one of the things OP mentioned, and I happen to agree with him.
Even with this, donations are lagging in many other places or do some of you actually pretend that the recession only exists in Charlotte.

Provided is a link to varying list of symphony operating budgets; some listed dates are older and can imagine the budgets are tighter today than 9-10 years ago:

American Orchestra Operating Budgets

If not a large metro, I highly doubt the offerings are much more substantial than Charlotte but certainly there are unique cases.

Old 08-14-2012, 01:41 AM

1,169 posts, read 1,278,547 times
I absolutely love Charlotte and couldn't imagine a better city to live in.

Granted, I'm not an Ipad carrying hipster with an ironic beard and am not on the constant search for "culture" a.k.a. tattoo parlors painted like rainbows next to fish taco bars.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:34 AM

3,914 posts, read 3,940,327 times
Please note that North Carolina is different from many states in that it is a large state geographically (~600 miles across) and it does not have one large city dominating the state. Hence there tends to be statewide organizations rather than those devoted to one city.

In North Carolina, there is the NC Symphony. It was established in 1932 and receives state funding. Many people in the state, including people here in Charlotte Metro choose to donate to it rather than the Charlotte Symphony and your taxes go towards the NC and not Charlotte symphony. Despite the state funding, the NC Symphony does not play in Charlotte, the state's largest city, presumably because there is an independent symphony in Charlotte. However the NC Symphony does play in our metro and has concerts in Iredell, Lincoln and Cleveland counties. It also plays in every other major city in the state, holds education classes open to all state residents.

So if a person is crass enough to pass judgment on a city based on it's symphony, then I think Charlotte, a city of ~750K, is doing quite well considering this "competition". Furthermore I suggest that one look at the benefits of living in this "metro" rather than limiting your perspective to inside I-277. There are two symphony's available in this metro which very few metros in this country can lay claim too. You just have to be willing to do a little research instead of arriving at false conclusions based on preconceived notions.

People will often look to find things wrong with a place but they seem to never put the same effort into looking at what is right. Charlotte/Mecklenburg, for example, owns it's own TV station WTVI. it's one of the few cities in the country to do so. Since July 1, it's part of CPCC which is offering courses in conjunction with the station and it is broadcasting CPCC originated classes on cooking, history (and particularly local history), and jobs. It also sub-broadcasts MHZ Worldview which brings access to many foriegn news & cultural programs which most of the country does not have access to.

Last edited by frewroad; 08-14-2012 at 03:44 AM..

Old 08-14-2012, 04:02 AM

162 posts, read 179,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_CLT View Post
But I suppose Charlotte is a bit different too, in that the boosters promote it as a big city, with major urban amenities. So there's some reflexive truth in the criticisms. If somebody originally "accepted the marketing" - yeah, they could become disappointed.
You hit the nail on the head there. The problem is that the media organizations promote the marketing that its a big city. Then when someone else asks about the city, the marketing is regurgitated... Its not questioned or criticized, because people have very little understanding about what a big city is. I get the impression that anytime someone criticises the existing options, people get upset because its not fitting that marketing image thats fitting in their head.

Old 08-14-2012, 05:20 AM

7,104 posts, read 9,696,488 times
^^^^yep

Old 08-14-2012, 05:21 AM

7,104 posts, read 9,696,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
I don't think the poll results would vary that much between the boros and LI but I could be wrong. .
Big time difference beccause of demographic fit...but this is not the forum for this discussion.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_CLT View Post
I think part of the reason this thread took off, was that the critiques of Charlotte can be applied to just about any mid size city in the south. Which caused some head scratching.

When someone on the Portland forum says they're leaving because they just can't take the gloomy winters and rain anymore, people respond "Yeah, it's not for everyone.. good luck..." because it's an attribute of the city everyone can agree on. It makes more sense to leave Charlotte because you can't stand hearing about NASCAR or CMS every day.

This is true and part of the problem is the close proximity of the large NC metros. Until recently (30+ years), Greensboro/Triad metro's population was on par with Raleigh and Charlotte. Neither metro had strong enough urban metros to distinguish themselves as in Ohio...Cleveland, Columbus and Cincinnatti. This has changed somewhat due to rapid growth of Raleigh/Charlotte metros but the older mindset was to leverage the state of NC or Carolinas region when competing as a big player...e.g, Carolina Panthers. Of course other regions of the country use a similar tactic.

It would take a considerable private contribution to justify Charlotte building a reputable city zoo when the NC zoo is within a 90 minute drive.

So, concerts, arts, etc. have always been competitive in the state but Raleigh is the state capitol which is clearly an advantage when considering partial or wholly state funded offerings...the reason they have all those schools/universities.

Given the circumstances, Charlotte has done quite well but definitely could do better. If the city continues to grow at a decent pace, and with the right folk driving these efforts, ultimately an organic expansion of these things will occur.

Frewroad made some very good points.....I could barely muster the finger to key action to type that statement.

Last edited by Big Aristotle; 08-14-2012 at 06:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or