U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2012, 09:07 AM

7,104 posts, read 9,698,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
The same can be said of Charlotte... whether it's Nascar, Museums, proximity to beaches and mountains, sports, quality of life... people are still flocking to Charlotte so that says something about the region. Unfortunately some people who aren't sold on Charlotte feel like it's popularity is "fools gold" or based on a fantasy.
What it says is: THey can't afford housing, taxes, or private schools on Long Island NY. This is an alternative.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:09 AM

162 posts, read 179,733 times
Quote:
Ani this is an excellent point. Using the State of NC as the reason why Charlotte is awesome doesn't really help the argument. However, it's rare for a city to have a mountain and beach within the city limits. The fact that you can see a mountain in 1.5 hours and beach in 4 hours is amazing.

[....]

As far as music venues.. they exist... do people go? Yes... and those people tend to love Charlotte.. the people who complain about nothing to do are the ones who say no anytime you ask them to go out.
Also, when you're considering that.. atlanta is 6 hours, nashiville is 8hours?, and DC is 9 hours.

Actually its pretty hard to get people [in their 20s] to go out. Most stay in because no one else wants to go out, or they refuse to meet new people.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:10 AM

11,720 posts, read 9,343,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Lol Ani, that sounds like heaven, US Air doesn't offer daily flights from here.
It's great that Ani found a slice of heaven on earth but why is it impossible for some to believe that some view Charlotte the same?

Highways and infrastructure? LOL... Outside of N77 around exist 23 I believe I haven't sat in traffic for more than 5 minutes anywhere in Charlotte. Not a problem IMO.

A train to the Airport? whatever... that's not important.

Light rail to University is the only issue and it's being addressed. I also wish they had rail from Independence but I can walk 20 feet from my house and hop on the Matthews Bus and get downtown if I wanted to use public transportation.

Honestly, a lot of the complaints are personal preference and not huge issues with the actual city.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
What it says is: THey can't afford housing, taxes, or private schools on Long Island NY. This is an alternative.
..and it's not a bad one. You can get all that and still have enough money to fly up and afford those broadway shows and shopping in Soho.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:17 AM

277 posts, read 579,927 times
Wow! 194 replies, and I'm sure more will follow.

9 more replies and this thread will eclipse the infamous "spider infestation in my car" thread.

Time to move on....how about another best pizza or bagel thread?

Old 08-14-2012, 09:17 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,009,663 times
Quote:
Ani this is an excellent point. Using the State of NC as the reason why Charlotte is awesome doesn't really help the argument. However, it's rare for a city to have a mountain and beach within the city limits. The fact that you can see a mountain in 1.5 hours and beach in 4 hours is amazing.

Personally, I think Charlotte is a great city. lived in NYC and had access to anything I wanted... but 85% of the time I worked, stayed at home or kept it local. If you are in your 20's and want adventure every minute of the day then Charlotte isn't the place for you but if you are realistic about how active your daily routine is then Charlotte probably fits most of what the average person needs out of life.

I go to museums and I'm scratching my head wondering why people are down on Charlotte's museums. I've been to 3 or 4 parties at the Mint, Levine and Gant. How many people who complain about the museum's have been to one of their events? Museums are cool but some of you talk about them like they are cruise ships.

As far as music venues.. they exist... do people go? Yes... and those people tend to love Charlotte.. the people who complain about nothing to do are the ones who say no anytime you ask them to go out.
North Carolina is a beautiful state, with so much to experience, enjoy and discover. I love living in this state and am very proud that my forefathers helped settle the Piedmont, fought in the Revolutionary War, and helped build many of the institutions (from churches to government) in this region.

I would not be bored if I were out in the boonies with no electricity. I know this for a fact b/c I have been in that situation. Boredom has nothing to do it. I am planning a trip to Philly to see an particular exhibit they have right now - and it is certainly not b/c I am bored. It is because it is of great interest to me. It is one of the things I enjoy. How much more I would enjoy it if it were close by, lol.

The museums here are good museums for their size. And how fortunate we were that Bechtler graced us with that collection! But something that is mildly interesting - like a display of 18th C. clothing (just made that up as an example) well curated - is not going to have folks lined up at the doors the way a Winslow Homer exhibit would. And it is not a "must see" for as many people as would find the Winslow Homer a "once in a lifetime" experience. I am not putting down what the Mint has to offer, b/c they do a great job for a museum their size. They also have some interesting lectures and demonstrations and a really nice young people's group - forget what it is called.

Same for the museum of the South. It's a great place to go occasionally -- if they have a new exhibit or display - - or when I have out of town guests who want to learn more about the region's history.

I used to go to the Nelson typically 2 times a month (in the evening) -- would take coworkers/clients or meet up with friends -- as they offered a combo ticket for a buffet meal w/wine and champagne, a jazz band or symphony quartet/ensemble and access to the featured exhibits. So yeah, a building that magnificent - beautiful venue - lovely meal - stroll through fascinating exhibits - it was as much fun as a cruise ship, lol. And it was 20 mins from my front door.

The museums in Charlotte are well-done. They are just limited in scope and size and what offerings and events they can present. The Mint is architecturally interesting, too. One of my relatives held her wedding reception there -- which was really nice.

Not saying that what Charlotte does have is substandard, it's just not as robust as one would expect in a city this size.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:23 AM

3,914 posts, read 3,941,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Not saying that what Charlotte does have is substandard, it's just not as robust as one would expect in a city this size.
So what is stopping you or anyone else who laments Charlotte's offerings from getting out and doing the volunteer work to make for better and bigger museums or anything else in this category?

This is what I said in my very first post in this topic. People will complain, but they won't get involved in making things more to their liking.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Lol Ani, that sounds like heaven, US Air doesn't offer daily flights from here.
I think you know I am talking about Kansas City -- and yes, there is a direct flight, lol.

To answer another question you asked - about the rail system - St. Louis and Sacramento are the two I have been on - are those cities a lot bigger than Charlotte? Also Portland.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
So what is stopping you or anyone else who laments Charlotte's offerings from getting out and doing the volunteer work to make for better and bigger museums or anything else in this category?

This is what I said in my very first post in this topic. People will complain, but they won't get involved in making things more to their liking.
First of all, I don't appreciate your trying to make this about ME.

Secondly, what makes you think I DO NOT support the arts here? Of course I do. I also support various arts in OTHER towns in this region. Geeez. And since you have put this on a personal level, what have you done/donated to lately?

Old 08-14-2012, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89quattro View Post
Wow! 194 replies, and I'm sure more will follow.

9 more replies and this thread will eclipse the infamous "spider infestation in my car" thread.

Time to move on....how about another best pizza or bagel thread?
couldn't resist huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or