U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2012, 11:16 AM

7,017 posts, read 9,325,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
..and it's not a bad one. You can get all that and still have enough money to fly up and afford those broadway shows and shopping in Soho.
Yeah right. There we go again....not available in CLT so let's fly to NYC tonite.
Gimme a break my friend.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:31 AM

35,885 posts, read 65,253,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
First of all, I'm not complaining about Charlotte and what it has to offer. I've tried to defend the city. Second, I've spent years donating money and giving volunteer time to numerous organizations in the city. Third, when you start speaking for everyone else, then you make it about yourself.
How you could have twisted my opinions and insights into my "speaking for everyone else" is unfathomable.

You are the one who made a supposition about how much real involvement any of us has in the community/arts.

What I find so curious is why you feel you need to "defend Charlotte" -- especially at the cost of condescending to anyone who may not view the world the same way you do.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:36 AM

11,355 posts, read 8,877,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
Yeah right. There we go again....not available in CLT so let's fly to NYC tonite.
Gimme a break my friend.
breath in, breath out...read it again with a smile and you will get it my friend.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:37 AM

7,017 posts, read 9,325,872 times
Quote:
breath in, breath out...read it again with a smile and you will get it my friend.
Yawn.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

Charlotte to me is a adolescent girl who hasn't figured out whether she wants to spend her summer with her friends Occupying Wall Street in front of BoA . . . or volunteer for an internship at BoA. She can't decide if she wants to be strutting around in D&G or flip flops. She goes to Sunday School and prays every day and most of her prayers have to do with her momma not finding out she is having sex, supports gay marriage and smokes pot. She is going to college but she can't decide whether to major in interior design (and start her own boutique) or public administration (and save the world). In short, Miss Charlotte is conflicted, lol.
interesting... I see it as a chick who sympathizes with Occupy but knows she has bills to pay... wears flip flops and then puts on the heels when she gets to the club... goes to church to ask for forgiveness for last nights escapade.

A fun girl... a little stiff in the hips but in time she will catch the beat.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Got that right, people don't move here (or anywhere I know of) simply for the arts, but I'd rather live here than Asheville - culturally, there are many more events, activities and things for me (key word being me) to do here. Oh, give it some time, sooner or later Charlotte will reach mass capacity to support a hi-faluten fine arts scene...but people will still complain about the size of events, the lack of a lake or riverfront...
Although I know you are right that most folks would never make the art community their #1 criteria for deciding where to move, I still maintain that having a well-endowed art institute does draw students to an area, keeping the arts community vital. It also draws other artists who may teach there or want to be associated with various programs or research being done through the art institute. It truly would make a big difference in uptown Charlotte if part of that landscape included an arts or arts/science museum or institute. Good for tourism, too.

Charlotte used to have a river traversing at least part of the city, but it was re-routed. I saw a map once that showed its route, but don't remember much about it. We came very close to being San Antonio. Or London!

Old 08-14-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
Yawn.
not sure who dumped in your cheerios this morning but night night...

162 posts, read 174,618 times
Quote:
Honestly, I didn't notice the "in the South" statement til I went back and read it again. I do not know of any rail system similar to Lynx anywhere in the South. I know about the ones I mentioned cause I have been on them. I agree - very good point.

And yes, KC is in the middle of nowhere. I missed the mountains terribly when I lived there. We had a fabulous park system with a lake where we could go sailing, so that was somewhat a consolation. .

I don't dislike Charlotte but I do get really perturbed when people jump all over anyone who is disappointed in the area. I have said it so many times - regular posters are doubtless sick of hearing me say it - but I can honestly say I never did think Charlotte was that great. My Dad served in state government for a while and I really liked Raleigh - felt it was just a much more exciting city. Things have changed dramatically since those days decades ago, and I no longer feel Raleigh is the "better" place to live (for me, personally). But I am disappointed in some basic things about Charlotte, i.e. the highway system being so behind/poorly planned . . . and the lack of interest in the fine arts. One big asset to this city that I felt showed some positive progress to a bit more sophistication was Johnson & Wales setting up shop here.

The other thing is - newcomers. I feel that has pushed this city out of its sleepy southern town mentality. Yes, some things have been lost in that translation, but it was time.

Charlotte to me is a adolescent girl who hasn't figured out whether she wants to spend her summer with her friends Occupying Wall Street in front of BoA . . . or volunteer for an internship at BoA. She can't decide if she wants to be strutting around in D&G or flip flops. She goes to Sunday School and prays every day and most of her prayers have to do with her momma not finding out she is having sex, supports gay marriage and smokes pot. She is going to college but she can't decide whether to major in interior design (and start her own boutique) or public administration (and save the world). In short, Miss Charlotte is conflicted, lol.
The problem I have with that post is that I can't give you more rep for that.

Quote:
interesting... I see it as a chick who sympathizes with Occupy but knows she has bills to pay... wears flip flops and then puts on the heels when she gets to the club... goes to church to ask for forgiveness for last nights escapade.

A fun girl... a little stiff in the hips but in time she will catch the beat.
ROFL! I like your Miss Charlotte a lot better than mine, Felt.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Although I know you are right that most folks would never make the art community their #1 criteria for deciding where to move, I still maintain that having a well-endowed art institute does draw students to an area, keeping the arts community vital. It also draws other artists who may teach there or want to be associated with various programs or research being done through the art institute. It truly would make a big difference in uptown Charlotte if part of that landscape included an arts or arts/science museum or institute. Good for tourism, too.

Charlotte used to have a river traversing at least part of the city, but it was re-routed. I saw a map once that showed its route, but don't remember much about it. We came very close to being San Antonio. Or London!
Is it Charlotte Dance Theater that has the nice building on Tryon?

I think NoDa is still growing. I was over there the other day and my only beef is it's size. I love the gallery crawl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or