U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2012, 09:55 PM

35,885 posts, read 65,324,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Maybe some of the county commissioners (bill james) but Mayor Foxx nor the CCP strike me as good ole boy. Our new superintendent of CMS is from Memphis (?). BOA CEO is not from here. US Air is in PHX, Chiquita from Cinnci. Wells Fargo not here, Jerry Orr airport director has to be a native BUT he is the best airport director...

My family is not from here, yet my mother has a 1 year old business that started in Kings Mountain, expanded into Shelby, Lincolnton, and Gastonia just today got someone to financially open up 2 locations in the ultimate prize, Charlotte.

And my family are Yankees. I plan on investing a lot of money into Charlotte in future years and going to try and make a name for myself. I want to make a mark in the city, and good ole boy hicks is not going to stop me... Right now I'm a full worker investing all of my money into the family business
You are exactly the type of resident this city needs and wants. Folks like you are bringing growth and opportunity to the area.

Your efforts likely would have nothing to do with any of the corporate bigwigs in this town. Unless you need millions of dollars in financing, I would think you will never cross paths in any way that would influence the success of your endeavors. These guys are not into small businesses -- they are into global wealth management.

Charlotte needs you -- this region needs you. Congrats to your mom on the success of her ventures and good luck expanding your market area!!!

Old 08-14-2012, 09:59 PM

6,249 posts, read 9,665,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueheronNC View Post
I guess my overarching point is - "when better than a lot of places still isn't good enough personally." It's a question each of us should ask. Instead of looking at things from an absolute perspective, every one of us should identify specific elements of a place that we think will grind our gears after a while, and those we are happy to live with even if it's not ideal. Unfortunately, sometimes it's impossible to know just how negative an impact certain characteristics will have unless we experience it ourselves or have it described in specific detail. The point is that a negativity thread can be made just about for any city, and for some people, the elements identified as negative won't matter, but for some others, it'll be elucidating. A lot of people who move to a place and then decide to leave do so not because of a "grass is greener" miscalculation of perceived advantages/disadvantages, but an increased rationality that can only be garnered through direct and more complete information through which the comparison can be made.

I've never had this visceral a reaction to any of the other places I've lived, whether the town was smaller or larger, and not because each of them necessarily had more or less than Charlotte, but because their specific combination of things gelled with me better.
All you had to say was "Urban, I move around alot; and have never really stayed in one place for 'too long'."

Old 08-14-2012, 10:03 PM

428 posts, read 807,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
All you had to say was "Urban, I move around alot; and have never really stayed in one place for 'too long'."
Wow, you really enjoy the biting sarcasm, don't you? What was the expression used a few years ago - "you don't know my face" or something like that? I haven't left any previous place I've lived because I disliked it - this Charlotte escape is going to be a first for me - but either academic, professional or familial reasons have necessitated a move. We don't always get to choose where we end up living. But for those people who are ready to pick up and go, and have the freedom to do so, and come to this forum and ask "why Charlotte?", it's good to have a perspective on why the answer might very well be "why not Charlotte"

Old 08-14-2012, 10:06 PM

6,249 posts, read 9,665,305 times
Quote:
Wow, you really enjoy the biting sarcasm, don't you? What was the expression used a few years ago - "you don't know my face" or something like that? I haven't left any previous place I've lived because I disliked it - this Charlotte escape is going to be a first for me - but either academic, professional or familial reasons have necessitated a move. We don't always get to choose where we end up living. But for those people who are ready to pick up and go, and have the freedom to do so, and come to this forum and ask "why Charlotte?", it's good to have a perspective on why the answer might very well be "why not Charlotte"
Good night...

Old 08-14-2012, 10:09 PM

35,885 posts, read 65,324,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
You do realize that you just compared Charlotte to Atlanta (6 million metro) and San Fran (6 million plus metro)? Why don't you compare Charlotte to actual peers? How about the light rail systems in Columbus and Indianapolis? What about those peer cities' proximity to a beach and the mountains? However, many pages back you complained that Charlotte doesn't have the small college town charm of Charlottesville VA. At this point, I have to ask; what exactly is your point? IMO, it just sounds like you have a bad case of greener grass Flu. The only known cure is to leave your current grass.

Awwww - you are cherry picking, Urban. Charlottesville is comparable to Charlotte one on level . . . I mean - we have an university here, too, just not venerable, 18th C Thomas Jefferson established UVA, lol. And both cities were established prior to the Revolutionary War. Yet, no way you can compare the vibe of Charlottesville as it is intertwined w/ UVA to how Charlotte/University has developed and meshed with UNC-C. It is a contrast, not a comparison. And yes, we all know the reasons (age of UNC-C and planning of the area around it) but who cares WHY? It is what it is. Charlottesville is charming; University is lots of things but charming is not a word I would use. University, to me, is a missed opportunity and a modge podge of hits and misses. My hope is -- it will only improve in coming years.

It seems folks are taking any analysis and critique of this city much too personally. No one is criticizing you b/c you are happy here. Blueheron is simply pointing out what hasn't meshed for him. I happen to have already thought about many of the things he has mentioned . . . and totally get why he has been turned off here. It is a combination of factors and the things that have hit him negatively may not even be of importance to someone else . . . that doesn't make his thoughts any less valid.

Last edited by brokensky; 08-14-2012 at 10:19 PM..

Old 08-14-2012, 10:40 PM

11,360 posts, read 8,891,475 times
I don't think people are taking the critique personally. its just a little frustrating when a person comes into the local deli and ask for sparkling water and filet mignon. Charlotte is a mid size city in the southeast and comparing it to West coast cities is unrealistic.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:54 PM

11,360 posts, read 8,891,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Awwww - you are cherry picking, Urban. Charlottesville is comparable to Charlotte one on level . . . I mean - we have an university here, too, just not venerable, 18th C Thomas Jefferson established UVA, lol. And both cities were established prior to the Revolutionary War. Yet, no way you can compare the vibe of Charlottesville as it is intertwined w/ UVA to how Charlotte/University has developed and meshed with UNC-C. It is a contrast, not a comparison. And yes, we all know the reasons (age of UNC-C and planning of the area around it) but who cares WHY? It is what it is. Charlottesville is charming; University is lots of things but charming is not a word I would use. University, to me, is a missed opportunity and a modge podge of hits and misses.
Uhh... what are you talking about? I think you just cherry picked urban. Charlottesville is one of the options Blue had on his list of places to move...

Old 08-14-2012, 11:39 PM

162 posts, read 174,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bindibadji View Post
Yes, "excellent restaurants" as opposed to paying $100 for a pretty good steak or seafood dinner at a really nice restaurant. Most people that come here from London don't move here for the arts but take advantage and enjoy what we have. Many Londoners are often transferred here but are generally pleasantly surprised with their new environments and many wish to stay.

I didn't know we had a lack of "good pubs." I don't know what you know about England, particularly London, but the old form of pub is fading away and being replaced by the more uptown bar as you would see here and wine bars or in the cooler parts of London. But, I think that is unfortunate that the old pub atmosphere is becoming a thing of the past. More and more people there are drinking at home as pub beer and drinks are so expensive.

Finally, not everyone that lives in London live in center town. They have suburbs and in many areas cars are needed, ie. I have friends in Purley, Ruislip, and other areas where they need cars, so in many cases a car isn't a new luxury and most don't mind, especially with the luxury of a GPS. But, it doesn't seem to be an issue with most.

No matter where a Londoner moves, there is no other place in the world anything like London. It is unique and anyone that wishes to leave wouldn't likely do so without knowing what is being forfeited.
Even with the downfall of the pub, there is still a drinking culture that charlotte will never have [with the current social environment]. Hell, New Orleans and Chicago has a drinking culture. Charlotte? Its drink to get plastered. Pub beer isn't that bad. Its all about where you get it. Pubs are very competitive in London, and low wage earners are able to go to the pub. If you're living in the suburbs of london, you're not working in london, at least not driving into london.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:50 AM

3,914 posts, read 3,772,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Y
I mentioned this in a separate thread just recently. Anyone who doesn't realize how much wealth, power and influence is posited behind the gated country club communities of this city isn't paying attention. And this is nothing NEW. We have mega wealthy investors/corporate execs who have residences here (and elsewhere) have interests in corporations here (and elsewhere) and who have the power and resources to influence any aspect of life they wish to influence, not only here in Charlotte, but in other cities around the globe.
This completely ignores the fact there are large & small companies here where this doesn't happen at all. Microsoft, Lowes, IBM, AT&T, Tiaa-Creff, Vanguard, etc. employ 10s of thousands in this city and they are controlled outside of this city. Wells-Fargo has absorbed what was Wachovia & First Union and people in San Francisco and Minneapolis are calling the shots. And even BofA is headed by a CEO that chooses to live in Boston over Charlotte.

The gold old boy network that you speak of is waning and disappearing. It's demise started with the arrival of IBM in 1978 and has been disappearing ever since. It IS being replaced by crony capitalism but that is a different issue.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:54 AM

3,914 posts, read 3,772,733 times
Quote:
If you're willing to settle for mediocrity at everything and excellence at nothing (except CLT, which is definitely a star airport), then sure, Charlotte might float your boat. But just be absolutely sure that a place doing something halfway in every respect doesn't get on your nerves after a while.

Jazz - laughable to say our jazz scene is anything out of the ordinary......................

Good schools across the board all within the city limits - the affluent areas have good schools, the non-affluent areas have bad schools. This is no different from any other city with our income profile.
You are simply stating opinion. Opinion doesn't mean fact or even that others hold this opinion. You are entitled to your opinion and no-one has said that you are not.

If you don't like it here then I commend your decision to move. My question is why don't you get on with it rather than carry on about it in this topic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or