U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2012, 05:03 AM

35,885 posts, read 65,276,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
This completely ignores the fact there are large & small companies here where this doesn't happen at all. Microsoft, Lowes, IBM, AT&T, Tiaa-Creff, Vanguard, etc. employ 10s of thousands in this city and they are controlled outside of this city. Wells-Fargo has absorbed what was Wachovia & First Union and people in San Francisco and Minneapolis are calling the shots. And even BofA is headed by a CEO that chooses to live in Boston over Charlotte.

The gold old boy network that you speak of is waning and disappearing. It's demise started with the arrival of IBM in 1978 and has been disappearing ever since. It IS being replaced by crony capitalism but that is a different issue.
Dang. I never even considered all that! I guess I thought people could socialize even if they live in different parts of the world.

Have you ever taken a look at who knows whom and how folks are connected? It is very interesting but it has no impact on my life other than research I did while ghostwriting a book. So feel free to argue about social ties which transcend corporate organizational charts on your own.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:06 AM

3,914 posts, read 3,768,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Dang. I never even considered all that! I guess I thought people could socialize even if they live in different parts of the world..
OK, so do you believe the head of IBM or the head of Microsoft are hanging out in the gated communities in Charlotte that you referred to?

I don't think so. They answer to the Board of Directors and shareholders.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:23 AM

11,355 posts, read 8,881,805 times
There is a "good ole boy" network in every city. Not sure what a CEO has to do with this argument. They answer to the Board of Directors but who do the lower level employees answer to? who do you think is running the company while the CEO is in board meetings?

Most of the everyday decisions are made by upper management and these are the people who are viewed as the "good ole boy network."

Old 08-15-2012, 07:46 AM

35,885 posts, read 65,276,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
There is a "good ole boy" network in every city. Not sure what a CEO has to do with this argument. They answer to the Board of Directors but who do the lower level employees answer to? who do you think is running the company while the CEO is in board meetings?

Most of the everyday decisions are made by upper management and these are the people who are viewed as the "good ole boy network."
Folks are connected on many levels -- they don't have to live in the same town to be connected. Of course you are correct about how business operates - from employee to shareholder. And yes, you are right - there is a good ole boy network in corporate upper management here. I have certainly seen it in operation, both personally and with my clients and friends.

What people don't know about and have no way of influencing is how many decisions are actually being made outside the board room. There is a lot of money, influence and power sitting right here in Charlotte that people aren't really aware of. Or maybe they are aware of it and I am the only one who was surprised at how many people here serve on other boards of various corporations, or are shareholders in other ventures, etc.

It was just a passing comment in response to Blue's comment.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:55 AM

5,702 posts, read 8,139,182 times
Charlotte doesn't pick cotton anymore, she picks Yankees...

Old 08-15-2012, 08:14 AM

7,021 posts, read 9,330,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post

If you don't like it here then I commend your decision to move. My question is why don't you get on with it rather than carry on about it in this topic?
Easy answer. IMO Blue just can't get over how he picked your clock and ate your lunch. Allow him some time to stop belly laughing over your responses to this thread.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:31 AM

2,352 posts, read 3,917,515 times
I'm only on page 19, so haven't read through the whole thread. I am appreciating people's civility and willingness to engage in thoughtful discussion so far. Posts with several well-thought-out paragraphs instead of one- or two- line zingers! (or, in addition to, anyway) Yay! Of course, that might have devolved after page 20, I dunno! LOL

One thing just struck me, and this may have been addressed further down the line -

Charlotte is in NC, which is definitely in the South, one of the poorest regions in our nation, if not THE poorest. Even when mills were still here and folks could earn a living wage, they were hardly earning enough to support the arts on a substantial basis. Don't symphonies, art museums, etc. rely on donations from folks in the surrounding cities, who don't have the population, money, and power to support large organizations like that of their own? If the area surrounding a city is mostly poverty-level, (I'm talking historically), then that city won't be getting support from there.

I'm a few days post-surgery and still medicated, so my little wandering thought may have no merit, but maybe someone who's thinking a little more clearly might get sparked by it.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:43 AM

162 posts, read 174,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
I'm only on page 19, so haven't read through the whole thread. I am appreciating people's civility and willingness to engage in thoughtful discussion so far. Posts with several well-thought-out paragraphs instead of one- or two- line zingers! (or, in addition to, anyway) Yay! Of course, that might have devolved after page 20, I dunno! LOL

One thing just struck me, and this may have been addressed further down the line -

Charlotte is in NC, which is definitely in the South, one of the poorest regions in our nation, if not THE poorest. Even when mills were still here and folks could earn a living wage, they were hardly earning enough to support the arts on a substantial basis. Don't symphonies, art museums, etc. rely on donations from folks in the surrounding cities, who don't have the population, money, and power to support large organizations like that of their own? If the area surrounding a city is mostly poverty-level, (I'm talking historically), then that city won't be getting support from there.

I'm a few days post-surgery and still medicated, so my little wandering thought may have no merit, but maybe someone who's thinking a little more clearly might get sparked by it.
Charlotte is hardly considered to be a poor area. We have the Bank Of America corportation. Think about that for a second. They have large offices in NYC, and ATL, but their corportation is based here. The bankers tend to stay really quiet and under the radar of most people. [Why I have no clue]

Old 08-15-2012, 08:58 AM

1,169 posts, read 1,238,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
And in a city of mostly transplants (like yourself), who created such a culture? Anyway, you (and others like you) will move on to the next place, take from it what you can, and contribute nothing. Meanwhile, there ARE folks here who are actually making a difference. Check out the
EXACTLY

This is a city for builders and bringers, not takers. If you come here expecting the world like NYC or Chicago, you're going to be extremely disappointed.

The feeling I get when talking to people (at least young adults) in this city is that they came here for the same reason I did. This is a virgin city and people like myself who come from really nothing places can start something here and build the city into whatever image we want. We chose to furnish an empty house and that's why this city is on the rise.

Charlotte is a sandbox. All it takes is an idea, a tiny bit of money and the motivation and discipline to come here and build something.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:04 AM

162 posts, read 174,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGTAIV View Post
EXACTLY

This is a city for builders and bringers, not takers. If you come here expecting the world like NYC or Chicago, you're going to be extremely disappointed.

The feeling I get when talking to people (at least young adults) in this city is that they came here for the same reason I did. This is a virgin city and people like myself who come from really nothing places can start something here and build the city into whatever image we want. We chose to furnish an empty house and that's why this city is on the rise.

Charlotte is a sandbox. All it takes is an idea, a tiny bit of money and the motivation and discipline to come here and build something.
Its hardly a virgin city, but the hope is to be able to have some change. The problem with the city is that its not as flexible to change. You have to have infrastructure to build the city into the desired image. Want to build a world class art place? You're going to have trouble with doing that here, until there is more support for the arts. Want to be an world class Jazz muscian? Where are you going to get the feedback and financial support to survive? Want to be a banker? you're probably better off in NYC or Chicago than here.

Want to rase kids with very little problems... this is the city for you... its a "new city" so you have more of a voice to stop those pesky city changers. The problem with that? Kids can be rased ANYWHERE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or