U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2012, 10:05 AM

35,885 posts, read 65,367,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
I'm only on page 19, so haven't read through the whole thread. I am appreciating people's civility and willingness to engage in thoughtful discussion so far. Posts with several well-thought-out paragraphs instead of one- or two- line zingers! (or, in addition to, anyway) Yay! Of course, that might have devolved after page 20, I dunno! LOL

One thing just struck me, and this may have been addressed further down the line -

Charlotte is in NC, which is definitely in the South, one of the poorest regions in our nation, if not THE poorest. Even when mills were still here and folks could earn a living wage, they were hardly earning enough to support the arts on a substantial basis. Don't symphonies, art museums, etc. rely on donations from folks in the surrounding cities, who don't have the population, money, and power to support large organizations like that of their own? If the area surrounding a city is mostly poverty-level, (I'm talking historically), then that city won't be getting support from there.

I'm a few days post-surgery and still medicated, so my little wandering thought may have no merit, but maybe someone who's thinking a little more clearly might get sparked by it.
I hope you are recovering well from your surgery, CharlotteGal. Sending good thoughts your way.

You make a very good point about the arts depending on patrons.

It definitely takes a hefty endowment from a committed patron (or patrons) to fund these endeavors. NC has been wonderful about underwriting the cost of many art programs across the state, but that can only go so far.

Many of the communities throughout this state have either formed coalitions with other counties or found a way to develop their own auditoriums, civic centers, programs. You are probably already well aware of all these groups, but for anyone who isn't . . .

For example, several counties in w. NC formed the Western Piedmont Symphony, a very fine group which provides a variety of musical events, from their concert series to their annual "pops" outdoor concert. I highly recommend them -- have enjoyed their concerts over many years.

Home | WPS

Morganton has a wonderful auditorium where I have seen some really good performances, for very reasonable prices:

Welcome to CoMMA! "25 Years and Still Lovin' it" - www.commaonline.org

Those are just two of the organizations in w. NC . . . there are many more, including arts councils, convention centers (J.E. Broyhill in Caldwell County) . . .

Then there are so many talented groups of people who have formed very impressive groups, such as the Hickory Choral Society.

Hickory Choral Society

Then there are all the venues and groups in the Asheville area . . . if you search the region to find what offerings there are, it is really amazing what is available.

So many of the towns have very well run community theatres, as well.

The colleges and universities also have programs and events which are open to the public. For example, An Applachian Summer Festival, ASU: Tickets :: An Appalachian Summer Festival :: Appalachian State University

There is a lot of money being donated in communities themselves as well as with particular organization within cities and counties throughout the state. The quality of these endeavors is typically top notch, and many of these organizations provide opportunities for local talent to develop and be showcased, as well.

There is no lack of entertainment in the region. You just have to take the time to find these wonderful venues, groups and organizations.

So there is money being donated and often, endowed, throughout the state but it has historically been towards supporting arts in those particular towns/counties (wh/ I think is wonderful). Charlotte has historically set itself apart from other art communities. Not sure why that is.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:11 AM

2,352 posts, read 3,924,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monksy View Post
Charlotte is hardly considered to be a poor area. We have the Bank Of America corportation. Think about that for a second. They have large offices in NYC, and ATL, but their corportation is based here. The bankers tend to stay really quiet and under the radar of most people. [Why I have no clue]
I'm not talking about Charlotte itself, I'm talking about the region,and I mean historically, not currently. Sorry that wasn't clear.

I'm not going to go back and find it, but the OP mentioned cities that he feels do "have it all". Were those cities surrounded by an impoverished region, or did the surrounding towns help make those cities what they are?

Old 08-15-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
I'm not talking about Charlotte itself, I'm talking about the region,and I mean historically, not currently. Sorry that wasn't clear.

I'm not going to go back and find it, but the OP mentioned cities that he feels do "have it all". Were those cities surrounded by an impoverished region, or did the surrounding towns help make those cities what they are?
Des Moines, Portland, Tulsa, and Kansas City are cities that I know of personally that seem to "have it all," insofar as any city can "have it all" lol Geographically, they may not "have it all" - what city does? And then there is the weather . . . but as far as well planned cities, these four have a lot going for them. I look at the entire metro area (burbs and outlying counties) when I look at any city. Many people will commute into the city, as well as spend their leisure dollars there, but be in school districts outside the city limits. So for schools, I don't necessarily focus on info exclusively from school districts inside a given city. The better school districts may be in the burbs.

Last edited by brokensky; 08-15-2012 at 10:47 AM..

Old 08-15-2012, 10:47 AM

3,385 posts, read 2,962,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monksy View Post
Its hardly a virgin city, but the hope is to be able to have some change. The problem with the city is that its not as flexible to change. You have to have infrastructure to build the city into the desired image. Want to build a world class art place? You're going to have trouble with doing that here, until there is more support for the arts. Want to be an world class Jazz muscian? Where are you going to get the feedback and financial support to survive? Want to be a banker? you're probably better off in NYC or Chicago than here.

Want to rase kids with very little problems... this is the city for you... its a "new city" so you have more of a voice to stop those pesky city changers. The problem with that? Kids can be rased ANYWHERE.
You have to give a place time to change, especially in the South. Charlotte is outperforming many of it's southern peers with respect to several metrics but doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement. Think of places like Birmingham, Memphis, etc with phenomanal building stock, history, etc. but entrenched with less progressive city leaders and visionaries. Any place (considerably small) inundated with the amount of newcomers that Charlotte has absorbed quite naturally will initially react with resistance; not isn't exclusive to Charlotte.

Truthfully, it's rather amazing that Charlotte is were it is given the location and circumstances.

If you think that network of powerful old money doesn't isn't in Richmond, Louisville, Charleston, Nashville, etc. that dictate or control many aspects of the city's growth....you're off your rocker.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:53 AM

3,385 posts, read 2,962,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Des Moines, Portland, Tulsa, and Kansas City are cities that I know of personally that seem to "have it all," insofar as any city can "have it all" lol Geographically, they may not "have it all" - what city does? And then there is the weather . . . but as far as well planned cities, these four have a lot going for them. I look at the entire metro area (burbs and outlying counties) when I look at any city. Many people will commute into the city, as well as spend their leisure dollars there, but be in school districts outside the city limits. So for schools, I don't necessarily focus on info exclusively from school districts inside a given city. The better school districts may be in the burbs.

Seem to have all of what??? I'm just not feeling it...I'm sure each of those places are loaded with a lot of Blueherons...."can't wait to get the hell of here".

Old 08-15-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Seem to have all of what??? I'm just not feeling it...I'm sure each of those places are loaded with a lot of Blueherons...."can't wait to get the hell of here".
LOL. You may very well be right. One man's trash is another man's treasure.

They appear to me, having spent time in all those places, to be well run cities that offer opportunities for decent cost of living, decent neighborhoods, healthcare, arts/entertainment, transit, parks, cuisine, manageable crime rate, schools, highways, etc all within 30 minutes of the downtown area.

I really really like many of the neighborhoods around DC, but unfortunately, the COL is so high. I have seen some comparisons, tho, for retiring in DC that make it seem a lot more realistic a choice than I would have assumed, especially if you can give up your car and those associated costs. Expensive for raising a family, I have been told.

Last edited by brokensky; 08-15-2012 at 11:21 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-15-2012, 11:16 AM

3,914 posts, read 3,778,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Not sure what a CEO has to do with this argument. They answer to the Board of Directors but who do the lower level employees answer to?
So you are saying that Hugh McColl and it's BOD didn't have much to do with NCNB growing into BofA.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:14 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,539,746 times
Despite all of the comments against the city, we are the number one destination for people that relocate. I guess they're either wealthy or plan on the government taking care of their housing and income with our unemployment rate. I suppose this is a great city even with high unemployment.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bindibadji View Post
Despite all of the comments against the city, we are the number one destination for people that relocate. I guess they're either wealthy or plan on the government taking care of their housing and income with our unemployment rate. I suppose this is a great city even with high unemployment.
it sure appears that is what thousands who move here feel about Charlotte.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:07 PM

11,367 posts, read 8,901,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
So you are saying that Hugh McColl and it's BOD didn't have much to do with NCNB growing into BofA.
LOL... what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or