U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 09:27 PM

27,814 posts, read 24,873,797 times

Advertisements

Charlotte somewhat sticks out like a sore thumb both within the Carolinas and the South overall because the other sizable cities in the Carolinas and its peers throughout the South are either capital cities, university towns/cities, have more defined geographic settings, strong musical/cultural scenes and legacies, and/or have preserved more of their historic urban stock within the core. I think the only sizable city in the South that's in the same boat with Charlotte as it regards the lack of all of these characteristics is Dallas.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:02 PM

430 posts, read 808,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
You are simply stating opinion. Opinion doesn't mean fact or even that others hold this opinion. You are entitled to your opinion and no-one has said that you are not.

If you don't like it here then I commend your decision to move. My question is why don't you get on with it rather than carry on about it in this topic?
I said I was moving, not that I was planning to. It's set in stone. If it weren't set in stone, I wasn't going to start this thread. I'm the sort of person who does something about it instead of complaining and taking it. But you need to realize that it's exactly this "get on with it" attitude coming from you and others that prevents a particular city from getting better. The cities that are great cities or are becoming great cities are their own harshest critic. The problem with Charlotte is not that it doesn't aim to be bigger, better, etc., but that its aims are misplaced. There is no motivation (or lack of demand despite that motivation) towards the type of things that make a city great, even when compared to other regional cities like Raleigh or Asheville or Charleston or Atlanta. If you had to play a matching game and ask whether Charlotte was more similar to a larger version of Columbia, SC or a larger version of Charleston, SC, which one would be true? The fact that the answer is Columbia tells you a lot.

Last edited by blueheronNC; 08-17-2012 at 12:10 PM..

Old 08-17-2012, 01:06 PM

2,688 posts, read 3,897,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueheronNC View Post
I said I was moving, not that I was planning to. It's set in stone. If it weren't set in stone, I wasn't going to start this thread. I'm the sort of person who does something about it instead of complaining and taking it. But you need to realize that it's exactly this "get on with it" attitude coming from you and others that prevents a particular city from getting better. The cities that are great cities or are becoming great cities are their own harshest critic. The problem with Charlotte is not that it doesn't aim to be bigger, better, etc., but that its aims are misplaced. There is no motivation (or lack of demand despite that motivation) towards the type of things that make a city great, even when compared to other regional cities like Raleigh or Asheville or Charleston or Atlanta. If you had to play a matching game and ask whether Charlotte was more similar to a larger version of Columbia, SC or a larger version of Charleston, SC, which one would be true? The fact that the answer is Columbia tells you a lot.
I am sorry that you don't like Charlotte and I can understand your reasons why. Your definition of a 'great' city and mine are different.

There are things I don't like about Charlotte but the good far outweighs the bad. Obviously, a lot of people DO like Charlotte and feel the same way.

I hope you will be happy in your new city!

Old 08-17-2012, 01:18 PM

3,914 posts, read 3,778,800 times
Quote:
... But you need to realize that it's exactly this "get on with it" attitude coming from you and others that prevents a particular city from getting better. ...
I suspect you would get the same response in any city from Bugtussle to Tokyo.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:22 PM

11,372 posts, read 8,901,369 times
Quote:
who cares which city Charlotte is "similar" too... it's all based on personal opinion and personal preference.

"The best city is the next city" seems to be your motto. I had the same motto for years until it became obvious that I was focusing on the wrong things. This whole... "you guys are the reason the city is the way it is..." is a joke. Maybe it's you and not everyone else? Some people aren't focused on making this city into your utopia. They are too busy living and enjoying the city the live in. You are like the guy who shows up at a nice party and stands in the middle of the dance floor. Move out of the way if you don't like the music and don't want to dance.

You keep talking about cities like they make who you are... hopefully you find that city. I'm curious to know where you chose to move to...

Old 08-17-2012, 01:46 PM

28 posts, read 33,043 times
From what I saw (only read first few pages so far), people were being amazingly gracious and un-hissy-fitty about this, which is rare for sites like this, frankly. Most of the time when I see someone criticize someplace or something, many of those who it applies to (no matter how broadly) have their panties in knots and start spitting at the OP in sandbox-like fashion as if their mother was just called a dirty name. So props to y'all. Anyway -

I thought the OP was a well thought out and reasonable ie in its tone and speaking one's mind, and I can't say what of it is accurate or not (from what others are saying so far, it seems it's disturbingly correct), but some of that stuff does lead me to believe there's a bit of a "grass is greener" mindset going on. I esp had to smile and shake my head at the "bad drivers" thing. When you find a city that doesn't have bad drivers, let me know what meds you just took because I want some. Ditto for "exquisite cuisine" in Raleigh (PS it may exist, but I went to my share of places and I didn't think any were "all that").

Repeat I've no idea how great Charlotte is or isn't in this or that way. Frankly I don't care much about concerts etc, so if that and bad driving are the worst of it, bring it on. The moderate weather and relatively inexpensive housing (and from what I hear, outside the city rather friendly (even if loud ) people) have their appeal for those of us who plan to spend precious little time within the city limits.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:49 PM

238 posts, read 299,010 times
It's really ALL subjective and alot of factors can play into ones inability to adapt to an area: whether it be the inability to find a decent job, no/bad friends, no/bad relationship, lack of social life (laziness), and/or just homesick. But it usually has NOTHING to do with the city itself.

Im from Houston..THE MOST DIVERSE BIG CITY IN THE WORLD. Whites, Blacks, Hispanics, and Asians all share ALMOST the same percentages of demographics. The beach is 45 mins away (Galveston), Large rollin Hills are as close as 30 mins outside of the city. LOTS AND LOTS of clubs and parties when its time to party...but Houston is ALSO very much a professional city with a professional atmosphere. Ive lived in Houston for most of my life (24 years old), and theres still ALOT of parts of Houston I havent been to or never even heard of. The NIGHT LIFE is amazing...and theres a professional sports team of every kind...NBA, NFL, MLB, minor league, etc....then there COLLEGE FOOTBALL...HOuston, Rice, Texas Southern ....Bowl games and conference championship games in the city...yada yada yada.. AND STILL THERES SOME PEOPLE WHO DONT LIKE HOUSTON.

The moral of the story is, theres NO place thats gonna have EVERYTHING you like. If a big, HUGE lively city like Houston can STILL be not attractive to some, then thats all the proof you need that NO city fits everyone. You have to find your niche and what you like to do. But again, if your PERSONAL life is not all that great, then its gonna be hard for you to find a great location for you to fit in. Going back to your hometown only allows your to feel more COMFORTABLE about your dilapidated personal life, but it doesnt CURE it. One would DEFINITELY need to handle any personal issues before really being able to enjoy things for what they are.
Just like in relationships...you cant look for a city to COMPLETE you. Once you get to a point in your life where you can be HAPPY wherever you are, THEN and ONLY THEN can you start to enjoy life and have a more positive outlook on things.

But on the other hand, I respect the OP for, what he feels is, a lack of something that he is obviously passionate about. I LOVE SPORTS, ALOT of people DONT...but I couldnt move to a city that didnt have atleast ONE professional sports team. That may sound crazy to those who dont like sports, but I couldnt do it. So if the OP's equilavent to that example about myself is OPERAS/CONCERTS/ARTS etc, then its to be respected.
But with everything else that was writte, and with the WAY it was written, seems like the OP is having some personal issue going on as well, that could easily enable someone to have an unbiased opinion of just about anything and everything.

Hope I just made sense. lol

Old 08-17-2012, 03:07 PM

430 posts, read 808,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe55 View Post
I thought the OP was a well thought out and reasonable ie in its tone and speaking one's mind, and I can't say what of it is accurate or not (from what others are saying so far, it seems it's disturbingly correct), but some of that stuff does lead me to believe there's a bit of a "grass is greener" mindset going on.
I understand fully why it might be chalked up to "grass is greener" mentality, because that often provides a good rationale for why one is unhappy with one's current situation over the "optimistic unknown," but to provide some context and to reinforce what I said in my OP, this is the first time in my life where I've felt like the "grass wasn't green" in the current city where I was living at the time. I'm generally optimistic about a place and make my own happiness, take the best a city has to offer and ignore what I don't like, but based on personal preference, even the "best" of what Charlotte has to offer just doesn't fit my interests (despite loving low cost of living, large homes on large lawns, greenery and rainfall, summer humidity, etc.). I love the natural atmospherics of this place, just not what socially and culturally people have done with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhartwell35 View Post
But with everything else that was writte, and with the WAY it was written, seems like the OP is having some personal issue going on as well, that could easily enable someone to have an unbiased opinion of just about anything and everything.
Really no personal issue. I have as close to complete job security as one can have and am able to save more than ever due to the low cost of living in this area, and everything in my personal life couldn't be better, but unfortunately the quality of my own personal bubble is not in itself sufficiently fulfilling because I could maintain all of that somewhere else but have other positive inputs so that things are even better.

Old 08-17-2012, 03:30 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,539,746 times
This thread has lost its luster. It is now a pissing contest. Hope it gets closed soon. But, I have noticed that no matter what city you live, it is no different. A huge percentage will take great pleasure in criticizing. This is their opportunity to either honestly voice their opinion in a civilized manner or their opportunity to pretend that they are the authority even when, in reality, they likely have nothing for which to compare. So most comments are personal and should be taken with a grain of salt.

Old 08-17-2012, 03:43 PM

45,270 posts, read 86,188,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
I am sorry that you don't like Charlotte and I can understand your reasons why. Your definition of a 'great' city and mine are different.

There are things I don't like about Charlotte but the good far outweighs the bad. Obviously, a lot of people DO like Charlotte and feel the same way.

I hope you will be happy in your new city!

Exactly - well said!

I do hope Blue will find the place he's longing for, and soon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or