U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 02:44 PM

27,758 posts, read 24,774,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueheronNC View Post
If you had to play a matching game and ask whether Charlotte was more similar to a larger version of Columbia, SC or a larger version of Charleston, SC, which one would be true? The fact that the answer is Columbia tells you a lot.
What does it tell you? It's still not a whole lot like either one. If you want to bring SC cities into the mix, it's probably more like a larger version of Greenville (Piedmont city with heavy textile history, non-state capital, not really a college town, etc.).

Old 08-17-2012, 02:46 PM

45,270 posts, read 86,082,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
What does it tell you? It's still not a whole lot like either one. If you want to bring SC cities into the mix, it's probably more like a larger version of Greenville (Piedmont city with heavy textile history, non-state capital, not really a college town, etc.).
I would agree with Charlotte being much more like Greenville, SC - it is certainly nothing like Columbia or Charleston

Old 08-17-2012, 06:19 PM

6,612 posts, read 6,541,527 times
I respect the OP for the honest and respectful post...although the words are tough to swallow, at least it was worded so that it wasn't too awfully offensive. It's still hard to read negative things about your city, no matter which city it is.

I think this type of thing commonly happens in all cities - guy moves to the city, tries to fit in, is not successful, ends up disliking the city...guy moves away. I know that people often move to Atlanta and are surprised/disappointed at what they find here.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:35 PM

7,021 posts, read 9,330,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post

I think this type of thing commonly happens in all cities - guy moves to the city, tries to fit in, is not successful, ends up disliking the city...guy moves away.
This is where the responses all fall apart. "ties to fit in". How sad is it that one would say/think "'well HE didn't make it",. Poor Blue, he didn't make it.

You can't believe how depressing to me this is (this kind of response)

Old 08-17-2012, 07:14 PM

162 posts, read 174,720 times
Quote:
I respect the OP for the honest and respectful post...although the words are tough to swallow, at least it was worded so that it wasn't too awfully offensive. It's still hard to read negative things about your city, no matter which city it is.

I think this type of thing commonly happens in all cities - guy moves to the city, tries to fit in, is not successful, ends up disliking the city...guy moves away. I know that people often move to Atlanta and are surprised/disappointed at what they find here.
This would happen more in small towns [which social, is what charlotte essentially is]. Don't get allong with the majority social group? Well you're screwed. Big cities not so much, its hard to claim you can relate to no one in LA.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:11 AM

222 posts, read 441,789 times
Quote:

Why is it hard to hear negative things about your city, whichever city it is? Why are so many people's self esteem tied to where they live? It's not like you all designed the city, or decided what to put where. It doesn't really make sense for anyone to take criticism of the place where they happen to live personally.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:03 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,530,575 times
People have their reasons for being bitter. But I may have said it before, if you can't enjoy yourself in the Charlotte area, you are going to be complaining just as much in the next place you live. I have lived in many places. I can't think of anywhere I didn't like, but I can certainly think of places that I likes much more than others. God gave us Jet Blue and Air Tran. so that if we have to have Broadway sometime, it is 90 minutes away.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:46 PM
LLN

4,912 posts, read 8,358,467 times
Hate to tell you but the guy makes several great points. Those that hate are among the "mediocre-ites" he addresses. Charlotte and garish go together much better than Charlotte and culture. Don't invite me to leave, did that several years ago.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:16 PM

6,612 posts, read 6,541,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMG721 View Post
Why is it hard to hear negative things about your city, whichever city it is? Why are so many people's self esteem tied to where they live? It's not like you all designed the city, or decided what to put where. It doesn't really make sense for anyone to take criticism of the place where they happen to live personally.
I didn't say that I take it personally, but that it's hard to accept. I love my city and really don't like to hear negatives about it from outsiders, though I often criticize it myself. It's like that little sister you can't stand, but won't have anyone else talking badly about her.

I'm also a glass-half-full kind of person...I see more of the positives of a city rather than pulling out the negatives. That said, I believe I did point out that I appreciated the OP's well-worded post. Charlotte just is not a good fit for him, which is very different from arbitrary criticism of the city. I mean, he's coming from a place of experience rather than sitting over in (name of city here) throwing potshots at the city based on something he heard.

Old 08-18-2012, 02:30 PM

11,357 posts, read 8,881,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Hate to tell you but the guy makes several great points. Those that hate are among the "mediocre-ites" he addresses. Charlotte and garish go together much better than Charlotte and culture. Don't invite me to leave, did that several years ago.
If you hate what the OP is saying you are mediocre? LoL... that's petty and childish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or