U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 09:06 AM

428 posts, read 805,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
If you hate what the OP is saying you are mediocre? LoL... that's petty and childish.
I agree that to broad-brush it as "mediocre" might not be entirely accurate, but what's true is that the place is the way it is because it's what the people here want and demand. That's why threads like this are more useful for people who don't live here than people who do. If you complain that a city doesn't have x, y or z, it's likely because the residents of that city don't much care for x,y and z, and therefore find it strange for anyone to be criticizing a place for not having x, y or z. By saying a city is unpleasant or insufficient because it lacks those things, you're indirectly "criticizing" the people as well, I suppose. But really, all it's saying is that I don't share interests with a lot of people here, and while I can make a pleasant personal bubble for myself most anywhere, I like the "community" part of things too.

I guess what I'm saying is that it doesn't make much sense for locals to be arguing that "well, those things that he's complaining about re Charlotte don't matter," because that's up to the individual to decide. It might be better to attack if I've been incorrect about characterizing what Charlotte lacks instead of trying to make a value judgment that those things don't matter.

Back to the "mediocrity" aspect, I think it's revealing to ask whether Charlotte hits the 90th percentile or above at any one aspect of it, and for those things it excels at, whether that matters to a person. I think that Charlotte might be at the 60th-70th percentile at a lot of things but really excels at nothing, which is sort of the definition of mediocre. Raleigh/Durham and Charleston are 90th or above in cuisine. Charleston, Atlanta, San Francisco and Asheville are 90th or above in arts, culture and music. Charlottesville, Raleigh, Tallahassee, San Francisco Bay Area are 90th or above in sincereness and pleasantness of residents. Charlottesville, Asheville, Tallahassee, San Francisco are 90th or above in natural beauty. But what is Charlotte 90th or above in? Maybe its airport but not much more. Maybe I've just been used to living in places that just really hit it out of the park on a few things that I also care about. But for what I'm looking for, Charlotte just doesn't.

I've said it before, but I used to think of Charlotte as a convenient staging area to the many other places that I truly enjoy. Weekend trips to the mountains, the beach, the Triangle, Charleston, Atlanta, etc. But after doing that for a while, always asking the question, "so, honey, where are we driving to this weekend?" it begins to dawn on us that the "staging area" approach to enjoying a place is simply tiring and unsustainable.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:48 AM

11,355 posts, read 8,874,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueheronNC View Post
I agree that to broad-brush it as "mediocre" might not be entirely accurate, but what's true is that the place is the way it is because it's what the people here want and demand. That's why threads like this are more useful for people who don't live here than people who do. If you complain that a city doesn't have x, y or z, it's likely because the residents of that city don't much care for x,y and z, and therefore find it strange for anyone to be criticizing a place for not having x, y or z. By saying a city is unpleasant or insufficient because it lacks those things, you're indirectly "criticizing" the people as well, I suppose. But really, all it's saying is that I don't share interests with a lot of people here, and while I can make a pleasant personal bubble for myself most anywhere, I like the "community" part of things too.

I guess what I'm saying is that it doesn't make much sense for locals to be arguing that "well, those things that he's complaining about re Charlotte don't matter," because that's up to the individual to decide. It might be better to attack if I've been incorrect about characterizing what Charlotte lacks instead of trying to make a value judgment that those things don't matter.

Back to the "mediocrity" aspect, I think it's revealing to ask whether Charlotte hits the 90th percentile or above at any one aspect of it, and for those things it excels at, whether that matters to a person. I think that Charlotte might be at the 60th-70th percentile at a lot of things but really excels at nothing, which is sort of the definition of mediocre. Raleigh/Durham and Charleston are 90th or above in cuisine. Charleston, Atlanta, San Francisco and Asheville are 90th or above in arts, culture and music. Charlottesville, Raleigh, Tallahassee, San Francisco Bay Area are 90th or above in sincereness and pleasantness of residents. Charlottesville, Asheville, Tallahassee, San Francisco are 90th or above in natural beauty. But what is Charlotte 90th or above in? Maybe its airport but not much more. Maybe I've just been used to living in places that just really hit it out of the park on a few things that I also care about. But for what I'm looking for, Charlotte just doesn't.

I've said it before, but I used to think of Charlotte as a convenient staging area to the many other places that I truly enjoy. Weekend trips to the mountains, the beach, the Triangle, Charleston, Atlanta, etc. But after doing that for a while, always asking the question, "so, honey, where are we driving to this weekend?" it begins to dawn on us that the "staging area" approach to enjoying a place is simply tiring and unsustainable.
well, it's your opinion and your personal scale so your mind is made up on what Charlotte doesn't have compared to these other cities. I guess the next question is which one of these great cities are you moving to?

Old 08-20-2012, 11:04 AM

5,668 posts, read 7,258,650 times
Quote:

Well you admitted the airport (which personally I'm not even a huge fan of), but 2 of the main reasons people move to Charlotte are for the weather and affordability, so I guess Charlotte is probably in the "90th percentile" in those 3 areas at least. No clue how you're measuring "sincereness and pleasantness" but I think people in Charlotte are very pleasant (no clue if they're sincere or not).

Even so, of the four characteristics you listed (cuisine, arts/culture/music, sincereness/pleasantness, and natural beauty), I think you listed a total of 7 different cities. You didn't include any of those 7 in all 4 categories. And San Francisco was the only one you listed in 3 of the 4 categories. So I guess none of those cities have everything you're looking for either...

Old 08-20-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Well you admitted the airport (which personally I'm not even a huge fan of), but 2 of the main reasons people move to Charlotte are for the weather and affordability, so I guess Charlotte is probably in the "90th percentile" in those 3 areas at least. No clue how you're measuring "sincereness and pleasantness" but I think people in Charlotte are very pleasant (no clue if they're sincere or not).

Even so, of the four characteristics you listed (cuisine, arts/culture/music, sincereness/pleasantness, and natural beauty), I think you listed a total of 7 different cities. You didn't include any of those 7 in all 4 categories. And San Francisco was the only one you listed in 3 of the 4 categories. So I guess none of those cities have everything you're looking for either...
who moves to a city because they have a nice airport? lol...

I'm curious to know where the OP decided to move... he has a long list but like you said... most of these places have 1 or 2 but not all of them. The cities that do have all of these are very expensive and are much larger than Charlotte.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:19 AM

45,270 posts, read 86,025,648 times
Quote:

One man's trash is another man's treasure

The bottom line is, no one place is right for everyone.

Since Charlotte is not right for you, I applaud your decision to leave and hope it happens soon for your sake

Old 08-20-2012, 01:22 PM

335 posts, read 570,267 times
Like a wise woman once said, "life's what you make it." Errr, wait a second...maybe that was Hannah Montanna.

Okay, perhaps this Joe Dirt quote would be more helpful:

Old Cajun Man: [In a muffled back water accent] Home is where you make it.
Joe Dirt: What?
Old Cajun Man: Home is where you make it.
Joe Dirt: You like to see homos naked?
Old Cajun man: Home is where you make it.
Joe Dirt: Oh.
[Walks away]
Joe Dirt: Guy likes to see homos naked, that doesn't help me.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:43 PM

1,037 posts, read 1,685,743 times
Quote:

How do u figure Raleigh ranks higher in cuisine?

Old 08-20-2012, 01:47 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,526,067 times
Quote:

Yea, but we are smart. If we were frustrated here, we would be long gone. Enjoy Wadesboro or wherever you are moving.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
How do u figure Raleigh ranks higher in cuisine?
cause he said so.. lol.

I've only been through Raleigh once or twice but I've never heard Raleigh was the capital of cuisine..lol.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:18 PM

406 posts, read 961,600 times
I understand and agree with some of the OPs points. College towns do offer unique advantages.

But, I just can't see putting Tallahassee up there as an attractive college town. 90th percentile in natural beauty? Get real. And if we are discussing mediocre, FSU epitomizes academic mediocrity. (Well, they do have an outstanding circus school I suppose).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or