Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 06:00 AM

777 posts, read 2,557,140 times

Advertisements

Not quite as simple as good grades, especially from someone transfering in that hasn't been on the IB path.

IB Entrance Requirements: Students entering middle or high school must be promoted at the end of the school year in which the application is made. Students entering grades 6 and 9 must score at or above grade level (level III or IV) in Reading and Math proficiency based on EOG tests taken in the school year prior to attending. Students who retest must meet level III or IV on the first retest. Students entering grades 7 and 8 must score at or above grade level (level III or IV) in Reading and Math proficiency. Students entering grade 10 must score at or above grade level (level III or IV) in English and Math proficiency on EOC tests taken in the school year prior to attending. In order to enter the IB Program in grade 11, a student must meet the following prerequisites: English I; English II; Geometry; Algebra 2; Environmental Science and/or Biology; Chemistry and/or Physics; World History; Civics and Economics; and Level III of Language B (e.g., French, German, or Spanish). Students entering in grade 11 must apply through the Reassignment/Transfer request and a transcript analysis must be completed by the prospective school. Only students currently enrolled in an IB Diploma Program will be accepted into grade 12.

More info here for the OP on the IB program at Myers Park if you are interested: International Baccalaureate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 06:39 AM

985 posts, read 1,891,031 times
while the IB may be a very good option, the OP did not say what year her child is in. If an entering junior it is too late, if an entering sophomore, they might have to be aggressive in getting the right classes to be able to enter into IB (not impossible but may be dificult depending on what they took in high school and 8th grade so far). if you have an entering freshman than IB is very attainable if in fact that is what path you want to be on.

Also something to cponsider is if the high schooler plays a sport, is in band etc. For example a very good lacrosse player maybe Myers PArk that has a more developed team is a better option than a newer program like Providence, on the flip side if you have a volleyball pplayer Providence has one of the best programs, obviously though it would be harder to make the team but if you played for years that may be the better option for the competitive level of your teammates. I would consider the whole high school experience. Depending on the grade the child is entering.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:45 AM

238 posts, read 565,566 times
I know several people who live in Myers park, all send their kids to private school.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:16 AM

41 posts, read 85,118 times
Personally, I wouldn't rate a HS based on the IB program. My son was in the program in his HS so I had a chance to understand it better. It is a very intensive program but I am not impressed with how it prepares you to succeed in a traditional 4 year university program. It all depends on your personality. The AP courses set you up better for a college course of similar nature. Plus, most universities do not accept the IB degree as an equivalent to the AP test scores.
It does seem that quite a few people send their kids to private schools in the south Charlotte area. I would pick a school based on the demographics and strong interests that your kids have.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:35 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,354,109 times
Smart, motivated kids can do very well at "The Park" without doing IB. The Honors and AP programs are very strong.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:49 AM

2,758 posts, read 5,116,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCbound01 View Post
I know several people who live in Myers park, all send their kids to private school.
I know they do, and there is a reason for it...MP is not anymore what it used to be.

Smart motivated kids do well almost anywhere they go, but a really challenging environment is where they thrive and push themselves to be the best they can be.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:03 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,277,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noblibgal View Post
Personally, I wouldn't rate a HS based on the IB program. My son was in the program in his HS so I had a chance to understand it better. It is a very intensive program but I am not impressed with how it prepares you to succeed in a traditional 4 year university program. It all depends on your personality. The AP courses set you up better for a college course of similar nature. Plus, most universities do not accept the IB degree as an equivalent to the AP test scores.
UNC schools and all the others we considered take IB credit as well.
IB Credit - UNC Charlotte Admissions

I would also differ that IB does not prepare you as well for college - just in a different way. AP is about learning facts and getting college credit. IB has much more writing and analysis. You don't just learn facts in IB history, you do historical analysis using source material. It's depth rather than breadth.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:17 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,354,109 times
Has the OP provided a budget? As others have stated, if you live in Dilworth or Myers Park, two of the most expensive parts of the city, you're zoned for MP. But also, if you live all the way down to the north side 51, between Rea and Providence, you're also zoned for MP, even though you're a stone's throw from Providence. There are lots of nice, affordable neighborhoods down there.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:20 AM

41 posts, read 85,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
UNC schools and all the others we considered take IB credit as well.
IB Credit - UNC Charlotte Admissions

I would also differ that IB does not prepare you as well for college - just in a different way. AP is about learning facts and getting college credit. IB has much more writing and analysis. You don't just learn facts in IB history, you do historical analysis using source material. It's depth rather than breadth.
That is why I said it depends on your personality. Again, just my personal preference. IB seems more set up for students that want to remain students or have a career in academia. It has less to do with giving you real world experience and more about learning the art of learning. Not bad -just not for everyone.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:04 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,277,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noblibgal View Post
That is why I said it depends on your personality. Again, just my personal preference. IB seems more set up for students that want to remain students or have a career in academia. It has less to do with giving you real world experience and more about learning the art of learning. Not bad -just not for everyone.
I do agree with this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte