U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2012, 12:29 AM
hhh hhh started this thread

28 posts, read 98,868 times

Advertisements

Hello

I live in Providence Downs in Waxhaw, NC. I am having an irrigation well driled right now.
We are at 500 feet deep and there's no sign of water at he moment. Does anyone in providence downs or the nearby area have any similar problem when drilling their well??? Carolina Well Drilling is doing the well and I am getting nervous as it is getting expensive for me, even without water??? I expected to pay 10K or less for this well, and it's getting very close to that number and there's no water yet. I should have done my homework, but Carolina Well Drilling only has D rating in Better Business Bureau. Any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 02:59 AM

3,914 posts, read 3,954,665 times
Wells are very hit or miss in this area. Being a native, and having friends and relatives that live in places around here where there are no municipal utilities, I've seen wells that need to go down 750 ft or more. Sometimes they have to pull up and start over elsewhere. This makes people become disillusioned about the well drillers.

This water is going to be very hard. If you plan to use for domestic purposes you will need to take this into account. It does taste good however.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:54 PM

57 posts, read 103,057 times
Moving to home near PD in Union and need a well for irrigation. Anyone with good experienced contractor? I have heard costs of $10-12k...

Old 11-29-2012, 02:04 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,377,886 times
It is not my intention to start an argument here, but please give some thought to not drilling wells for purely irrigation purposes.

There are many of us that never will have access to county provided water and sewer so we depend upon our wells for our precious water supply. I have three friends in the past 5 years who's wells have dried up and they've had to sink new ones. Many of these wells were at the 140 to 200 foot depth. Our ground water is not an endless resource. Please give some serious thought to your neighbors that don't have the option of hooking up and paying for a water source.

I have used Carolina Well for two wells in 30 years in Union County. They have made a few service calls and while they weren't cheap, they provided a satisfactory service to my family. The first well I had was drilled and installed by Mullis Well Drilling. When the pump went out Carolina came to replace it. As the technician pulled the plastic pipe out of the ground he noted that there were no anti-vibration pieces installed. I don't know what they are called, but they are placed every 8 to 10 feet on the pipe to keep it from banging against the walls when the pump goes on and off. It protects the wires carrying power to the pump from rubbing against the sides of the well pipe or rock and eventually breaking.

I will add, the last time our submersible well pump went out Carolina Well was outrageously high for the replacement. I ended up doing it myself for much less than half the price quote.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:23 AM

57 posts, read 103,057 times
Just spoke with Mullis - very informative and helpful with information. Anyone use them?

Old 12-06-2012, 02:55 PM

1234tech, what neighborhood are you in? We ended up with a well
Of 750 feet deep. Because of the depth, pump had to be upgraded.
With electrician to hook up and everything together we end up with
A 15k bill, a lot more than I originally planed
Hope that help

Old 12-06-2012, 03:42 PM

2,031 posts, read 4,700,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
It is not my intention to start an argument here, but please give some thought to not drilling wells for purely irrigation purposes.

There are many of us that never will have access to county provided water and sewer so we depend upon our wells for our precious water supply. I have three friends in the past 5 years who's wells have dried up and they've had to sink new ones. Many of these wells were at the 140 to 200 foot depth. Our ground water is not an endless resource. Please give some serious thought to your neighbors that don't have the option of hooking up and paying for a water source.

I have used Carolina Well for two wells in 30 years in Union County. They have made a few service calls and while they weren't cheap, they provided a satisfactory service to my family. The first well I had was drilled and installed by Mullis Well Drilling. When the pump went out Carolina came to replace it. As the technician pulled the plastic pipe out of the ground he noted that there were no anti-vibration pieces installed. I don't know what they are called, but they are placed every 8 to 10 feet on the pipe to keep it from banging against the walls when the pump goes on and off. It protects the wires carrying power to the pump from rubbing against the sides of the well pipe or rock and eventually breaking.

I will add, the last time our submersible well pump went out Carolina Well was outrageously high for the replacement. I ended up doing it myself for much less than half the price quote.
Thanks for this- I agree completely.
If folks decide to drill a well for irrigation then I hope it costs them a fortune. Our water is far too precious.
Our neighbors on the water here pump water out of the lake for irrigation. What's more annoying is that a lawn only needs an inch of water per week, but people waste the water by having their irrigation on for an half an hour every day, often late in the afternoon when the ground/air is at it's hottest and the maj of the water will never reach the roots.
Grass needs deep watering to encourage deep rooting.
If you plant sensibly then most will tolerate weekly watering or less.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:29 AM

I understand your point, but what we need is what we need, water well since
county have restriction on watering lawn. We didn't break any law by drilling
an irrigation well?

Old 12-07-2012, 11:10 AM

2,198 posts, read 2,377,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhh View Post
I understand your point, but what we need is what we need, water well since
county have restriction on watering lawn. We didn't break any law by drilling
an irrigation well?
Absolutely!!! No laws broken without a doubt it is your right.

@#$^^&&* (consider this a stream of insults, not directed at anyone in particular.)

See, I broke no laws! I just used extremely poor taste and judgement in my above comments, very non polite, not held in high regard by a vast portion of the public, lacking common sense, etc.

Surely it is my right to say such words in public, but not very well perceived. While those words actually hurt nobody, they may actually have helped me over an issue that was causing me great concern (letting off steam), but in the process indirectly offended some people.
Wells for irrigation purposes while others rely on the water table for their sustenance fits grudgingly into this category. When my first well went dry, I was buoyed by the fact that my neighbor 5 houses away, with access to the main county water line, was still using his old well to maintain a lush green yard. It raised my spirits to see this carefully and lovingly manicured landscape every time I went by his house to get bottled water while my new well was being drilled.

We are in the middle of a drought, or at best lessening natural precipitation (some forecasters believe it will last 20 years according to changing weather patterns) and many people are still planting fescue blends that are impossible to grow without a sprinkler system in this area.
I have never watered my lawn, yet my bermuda mix stays relatively healthy and with 20 dollars of over seeded rye grass stays green throughout the winter months.

Peace!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or