U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 08:16 PM

15 posts, read 23,327 times

Advertisements

So, what's the deal with this driving scenario that I keep experiencing here in Charlotte (specifically in the Ballantyne area): cars are sitting at a red light, the light turns green, and the first car in the left turn lane across from me (which does not have a green arrow), puts pedal to metal and pulls across ahead of me. Isn't it common knowledge that cars going straight have the right of way? I know that in Massachusetts cars do this all the time and other drivers kind of expect it, but I've never seen drivers do it as often as I've seen in Charlotte (I've only been living here a year). Am I just encountering jerk drivers, or is this something that other cars anticipate and don't get upset about? I'm leaning toward jerk drivers since most of them start rolling forward even before the light turns green and are almost peeling out to get across, but just wanted to see what others think about it. Customary or not it's been annoying the heck out of me.

I apologize if this has been covered in other "Charlotte driver" threads - I've read a lot of the discussions about cars pulling out in from of each other in general, but didn't seen any about this particular move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 08:27 PM

14,693 posts, read 23,041,772 times
I see it all the time, too. Honestly, I don't remember seeing it anywhere else I have lived. I moved here from the DC area and some would have just rammed you out of spite if you tried that up there.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:35 PM

Exactly. I'm originally from Baltimore and never saw it there. I know there are a lot of transplants from different areas where I'm living (including myself) but I had only heard it being common in Massachusetts. I really think it's just a mentality that they don't want to wait and if they can get away with it they're going to do it. Maybe I'm being a jerk myself but I'm not shy about letting them know I didn't appreciate it with a nice honk.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:53 PM

14,693 posts, read 23,041,772 times
I see it a lot in the AM at Idlewild & Margaret Wallace because it is a pretty wide intersection crossways.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:03 PM

8,402 posts, read 20,237,718 times
I don't see it very often. But if the car(s) on the other side are asleep at the wheel, and I want to be somewhere, I might jump the left turn if I'm sure I can make it cleanly.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:18 PM

159 posts, read 286,007 times
It's not just transplants, locals do it too I know b/c my friend does it all the time. One time she was driving my car and she did that and I'm like what are you doing!?!? Everyone can be an ass when they drive.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:24 PM

8,402 posts, read 20,237,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelle704 View Post
It's not just transplants, locals do it too I know b/c my friend does it all the time. One time she was driving my car and she did that and I'm like what are you doing!?!? Everyone can be an ass when they drive.
Why is that being an ass?

Old 08-09-2012, 09:36 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,732,653 times
This is called the Pittsburgh left. I always assume people who do that moved here from Pittsburgh, where it is actually expected that the first left turning car goes on green before the rest of the traffic.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:37 PM

I agree there's nothing wrong with it if the person going straight isn't paying attention and hasn't started moving. However, in my experiences, I'm reacting normally to the green light and get cut in front of by someone going left, because they don't want to wait for the line of cars that they are supposed to be yielding to. It really just boils down to the other driver thinking their time is more valuable than everyone else's, therefore they're entitled to drive like that. Not dissimilar to the drivers that cut over at the last minute at the South Blvd exit on 485. Don't even get me started on that maneuver...

Old 08-09-2012, 09:39 PM

It's interesting to get other's views on this. I don't know whether to be shaking my fists at these drivers or just shrug my shoulders and accept that it's the etiquette of the area. Seems like there are mixed views on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or