U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-14-2012, 01:01 PM
 
3,468 posts, read 3,153,217 times
Reputation: 3433

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
What about them? If people were going to go after them then they wouldn't pick an event such as this. A conspiracy theory would be this notion that terrorists are headed to charlotte to off every political hack in the US government. Maybe you guys don't listen to what you are saying.
Now you're a terrorism expert? Lol, maybe that's the reason terrorists are avoiding the events in Charlotte and Tampa those weeks...the known huge LEO/military presence. That's the kind of thinking that allowed 9/11 to occur, terrorists (domestic and nondomestic perps) are absolutely unpredictable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-14-2012, 01:38 PM
 
Location: Charlotte NC
11,793 posts, read 9,388,560 times
Reputation: 5270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Now you're a terrorism expert? Lol, maybe that's the reason terrorists are avoiding the events in Charlotte and Tampa those weeks...the known huge LEO/military presence. That's the kind of thinking that allowed 9/11 to occur, terrorists (domestic and nondomestic perps) are absolutely unpredictable.
Let's be thankful the people in charge aren't this lax when it comes to when and where an attack will happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2012, 10:02 PM
 
1,169 posts, read 1,282,409 times
Reputation: 761
Anyone see the out of state police vehicles and officers receiving tours through downtown today?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2012, 03:34 AM
 
3,914 posts, read 3,958,367 times
Reputation: 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Now you're a terrorism expert?
Never claimed to be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
.....That's the kind of thinking that allowed 9/11 to occur, terrorists (domestic and nondomestic perps) are absolutely unpredictable.
Oh so now after insulting me about claiming to be an "expert" on terrorists for what I said, you are now, in the next breath are telling us how terrorists think and act and why 9/11 occurred. You really need to listen to yourself and try sticking to the subject. This isn't about 9/11 and blowing up buildings. (unless you know something the rest of us don't know)

You are the 2nd or 3rd person in this topic who can't separate the issue of standing up for the right to assemble and protest vs terrorists blowing up buildings and it's a waste of my time to bother with it since like the last party you defend it with petty insults and events such as 9/11. We are done with this conversation. It's pointless.

Last edited by frewroad; 08-15-2012 at 03:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2012, 04:29 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,186,293 times
Reputation: 22375
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Never claimed to be.
Oh so now after insulting me about claiming to be an "expert" on terrorists for what I said, you are now, in the next breath are telling us how terrorists think and act and why 9/11 occurred. You really need to listen to yourself and try sticking to the subject. This isn't about 9/11 and blowing up buildings. (unless you know something the rest of us don't know)

You are the 2nd or 3rd person in this topic who can't separate the issue of standing up for the right to assemble and protest vs terrorists blowing up buildings and it's a waste of my time to bother with it since like the last party you defend it with petty insults and events such as 9/11. We are done with this conversation. It's pointless.
No one is insulting you, just wondering why you think it is your right, nay, your duty! to determine the course of this discussion.

People are sharing their ideas, thoughts, suppositions.

The OP asked what we thought. Some people see more when they consider the matter than others. Others are simply asking questions and thinking out loud.

It seems incredulous or at the least--unlikely--that some nutball would be so stupid as to attempt an act of violence with all the LE around. But of course, none of us has any more insight into the mind of a killer than anyone else. All LE can do is be prepared.

And while some may see the increased LE presence and heightened security as "proof" that our rights have eroded in this country, I don't think any of us would want there to be an incident here in our city that could have possibly been prevented had there been more on-site LE.

People choose to attend this convention, so they will have to abide by security measures, for the protection of all. If what you are concerned about is the individual who lives nearby and will have his/her life disrupted, seems to me everyone has had plenty of notice as to the increased presence of LE. It isn't as though folks are going to be sitting at their windows, watching in disbelief as tanks move in and seize the city.

For many, the biggest impact this convention will have on their personal lives is receiving a nice chunk o' change for renting out their space to convention attendees.

People have the right to assemble and to my knowledge, they will, indeed, be assembling at this convention. With all the cameras on smart phones floating around, if there were a situation with police brutality, it would doubtless be memorialized digitally and shared all over the globe.

We aren't in Syria, thank God. Anything can happen anywhere, but as long as protestors act civil I can't see why LE would want to curb their right to assemble. With youtube, it's not like anyone can be "silenced" or denied the right to protest.

The process is old hat now: Don't like the way things are being handled? Take it to the airwaves.

And no, I am no expert, but then this is just a forum and OP asked a simple question: how do we feel about it? I feel like I am glad I don't have to be downtown in the middle of this during the convention.

Last edited by brokensky; 08-15-2012 at 04:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2012, 06:26 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,186,293 times
Reputation: 22375
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGTAIV View Post
Anyone see the out of state police vehicles and officers receiving tours through downtown today?
Dang, James . . .why didn't you take some photos to share with us? You could start a really neat blog about the days leading up to this convention and all the things you see going on around you, or at least share it here. Can't count on our local paper to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2012, 06:57 AM
 
3,914 posts, read 3,958,367 times
Reputation: 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
No one is insulting you, just wondering why you think it is your right, nay, your duty! to determine the course of this discussion.
I stated my opinion and I have the right to stop responding to posts where this opinion is quoted. If you think this is equivalent to me trying to dictate the course of this discussion then you are as off base as equating what I said about (which I assume you haven't read) peoples rights to assemble to that of Syria and tanks rolling down the street. Do you honestly think I've said something like that? Why is it that you can't just disagree with my opinion instead of going there?

In regards to how we feel about it. As long as you hold the view of the status quo on this forum then you are fine. If anything else is presented, no matter what, it's responded to with the same type of over the top hyperbole that you just gave in response to me. IMO, your response to me comes off as disingenuous as best.

#4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2012, 07:24 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,186,293 times
Reputation: 22375
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
I stated my opinion and I have the right to stop responding to posts where this opinion is quoted. If you think this is equivalent to me trying to dictate the course of this discussion then you are as off base as equating what I said about (which I assume you haven't read) peoples rights to assemble to that of Syria and tanks rolling down the street. Do you honestly think I've said something like that? Why is it that you can't just disagree with my opinion instead of going there?

In regards to how we feel about it. As long as you hold the view of the status quo on this forum then you are fine. If anything else is presented, no matter what, it's responded to with the same type of over the top hyperbole that you just gave in response to me. IMO, your response to me comes off as disingenuous as best.
You are definitely entitled to your freely expressed opinion.

I don't know how you misinterpreted what I said to equate tanks in the street to the right of assembly, but I have no control over how someone's brain cells fire up . . . That statement was clearly in re: to folks who live UPTOWN and are being impacted the most (inconvenienced) by having the convention nearby.

The OP asked how we felt about the ramp up of LE and out of state police . . . you seem to question that we all don't "get it" - that the issue is really . . . "our right to free assembly."

We get it. The issue is multi-faceted as several folks have pointed out. We have to have the security - the POTUS is going to be here (as well as other government officials). We don't want it to be oppressive, as folks have the right to assemble and to protest.

The folks in charge of other conventions have managed to do both. If trusting that our law enforcement here, along with the secret service and whatever other agencies are involved, are going to do their best to make sure everyone's rights are protected makes my statement disingenuous . . .okie dokie then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2012, 07:31 AM
 
Location: Charlotte NC
11,793 posts, read 9,388,560 times
Reputation: 5270
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
You are definitely entitled to your freely expressed opinion.

I don't know how you misinterpreted what I said to equate tanks in the street to the right of assembly, but I have no control over how someone's brain cells fire up . . . That statement was clearly in re: to folks who live UPTOWN and are being impacted the most (inconvenienced) by having the convention nearby.

The OP asked how we felt about the ramp up of LE and out of state police . . . you seem to question that we all don't "get it" - that the issue is really . . . "our right to free assembly."

We get it. The issue is multi-faceted as several folks have pointed out. We have to have the security - the POTUS is going to be here (as well as other government officials). We don't want it to be oppressive, as folks have the right to assemble and to protest.

The folks in charge of other conventions have managed to do both. If trusting that our law enforcement here, along with the secret service and whatever other agencies are involved, are going to do their best to make sure everyone's rights are protected makes my statement disingenuous . . .okie dokie then.
it doesn't matter Ani...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2012, 07:39 AM
 
1,169 posts, read 1,282,409 times
Reputation: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Dang, James . . .why didn't you take some photos to share with us? You could start a really neat blog about the days leading up to this convention and all the things you see going on around you, or at least share it here. Can't count on our local paper to do it.
That's a great Idea, ani. I'll take some pictures of the arena area today if I can get a chance. It looks different every hour and the whole thing is already quarantined off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top