U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2012, 09:37 AM

5,783 posts, read 8,409,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGTAIV View Post
Haha!

I'm not a conspiracy subscriber and yes, most of my info is from the internet, usually govt docs. I apologize for not using Inside Edition as my source, lol. As for living in "ground zero", I enjoy city living and only douche bags hide from problems.
lol - I'm glad we can laugh about this.

I'll be at Trade and Tryon tomorrow for work... going to wander around and see what I see. I hope I don't get clubbed/maced/and taken in for "questioning"! rofl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 09:40 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,286,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
lol - I'm glad we can laugh about this.

I'll be at Trade and Tryon tomorrow for work... going to wander around and see what I see. I hope I don't get clubbed/maced/and taken in for "questioning"! rofl
Call me when you do - I'll get Jack Bauer to break you out

Old 08-15-2012, 09:44 AM

35,885 posts, read 66,998,726 times
Well, please share the joy, Mikey, and take some photos (if LE will allow you to) . . . i want to get in on all the action, but vicariously, lol.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:05 AM

1,169 posts, read 1,278,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, please share the joy, Mikey, and take some photos (if LE will allow you to) . . . i want to get in on all the action, but vicariously, lol.
Just took a few while out for a walk (so much free time this week, might as well be unemployed). I'll upload today.

Nobody bothered me since there's not really any security presence right now. However, feel free to take pictures anywhere you want, Mike as long as it's a public place and you're on the sidewalk. The invisible rule that you cant film buildings, etc. is BS.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:06 AM

3,914 posts, read 3,940,327 times
This is to level set this notion that endless battalions of police in Charlotte are needed to protect the "important" politicians from the bad guys. Some people accept this is necessary because such people might get attacked and it has nothing to do with control over protests that might take place.

Yet Romney is in Charlotte today having lunch at the Duke mansion in Myers Park, and there are no roadblocks, no check points, no drones flying over the city, no anything. Romney's secret police attachment can handle any danger and it only proves the fallacy of the above notion.

IMO, the extra police, including those who are not citizens of NC or familiar with our laws and ways, are being brought in for the sole purpose of controlling the public at the leisure of the politicians. It's the US Constitution turned on it's head and nothing but a sham. And to add icing to the cake, the DNC apparently has decided that NC is a lost cause anyway and will be pulling out of the state and focusing on campaigning where they might still convince people to vote for them.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:18 AM

35,885 posts, read 66,998,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
This is to level set this notion that endless battalions of police in Charlotte are needed to protect the "important" politicians from the bad guys. Some people accept this is necessary because such people might get attacked and it has nothing to do with control over protests that might take place.

Yet Romney is in Charlotte today having lunch at the Duke mansion in Myers Park, and there are no roadblocks, no check points, no drones flying over the city, no anything. Romney's secret police attachment can handle any danger and it only proves the fallacy of the above notion.
Okay. You have lost me here. Perhaps I need more coffee.

The fallacy of what notion?

If someone starts tossing molotov cocktails, setting cars on fire or smashing windows, all of which we have seen in other cities at various times, LE will have to deal with it.

In other words, if trouble-makers choose to cause trouble, LE will have to deal with it.

What would you propose, other than LE being on site, that this city should do to prepare for the worst possible scenario type situations?

3,185 posts, read 5,757,046 times
No problem.........as long as their business doesnt get in MY business

11,715 posts, read 9,340,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post

IMO, the extra police, including those who are not citizens of NC or familiar with our laws and ways, are being brought in for the sole purpose of controlling the public at the leisure of the politicians. It's the US Constitution turned on it's head and nothing but a sham. And to add icing to the cake, the DNC apparently has decided that NC is a lost cause anyway and will be pulling out of the state and focusing on campaigning where they might still convince people to vote for them.
I think you made this up...

most people said the POTUS, congress, delegates, supporters AND protestors will be in town and this is why there is a large police presence.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:24 AM

3,914 posts, read 3,940,327 times
Quote:
If someone starts tossing molotov cocktails, setting cars on fire or smashing windows, all of which we have seen in other cities at various times, LE will have to deal with it.
Please tell me which political convention where molotov coctails, cars being set ablaze, window smashing, etc have taken place so we can discuss the details. Only then can one logically assume that such events will occur here in Charlotte. When was their a political harmed at a political convention?

If you wish to go back to Chicago, 1968, the last time that I am aware of anything violent taking place, then we can discuss that too.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:24 AM

11,715 posts, read 9,340,074 times
Quote:
Okay. You have lost me here. Perhaps I need more coffee.

The fallacy of what notion?

In other words, if trouble-makers choose to cause trouble, LE will have to deal with it.

What would you propose, other than LE being on site, that this city should do to prepare for the worst possible scenario type situations?
same as a football game was one suggestion...

only problem is a football game last 4 hours and is concentrated in one area.

If football games had opposing fans entering from various points for 5 days to protest or break windows while a thousand different events were going on all over the city then it would make perfect sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or