U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-15-2012, 10:35 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,220,362 times
Reputation: 22380

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Please tell me which political convention where molotov coctails, cars being set ablaze, window smashing, etc have taken place so we can discuss the details. Only then can one logically assume that such events will occur here in Charlotte. When was their a political harmed at a political convention?

If you wish to go back to Chicago, 1968, the last time that I am aware of anything violent taking place, then we can discuss that too.
FREWROAD: please read this slowly so you will not once again totally misunderstand what I have written.

I did not say that we had seen these things happen AT OTHER POLITICAL CONVENTIONS!!!! I said - IN OTHER CITIES after various events.

If you had read this entire thread, you will recall that it was posted earlier that no one wants to see the types of behaviors that have occurred with crowds gone wild - in other cities, for other events. We have seen crowds go nuts after sports events, for example. And the 1999 NATO Summit.

No one has said a thing about protestors being violent at recent political conventions.

Where do you come up with this stuff????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-15-2012, 10:40 AM
 
3,914 posts, read 3,961,991 times
Reputation: 1272
I have read the entire topic. I also know that it's easy to justify the taking away rights by scaring people to believe they will be safer. Maybe you missed that I already said that if they do believe this will happen, then let the President or other's authorized to do so simply state that civil rights will be suspended for the duration of the event in order to protect the participants. He has the authority to do it and it's his convention.

In taking this action he will guarantee the safety of everyone there, absolutely. Since this hasn't happened, then I assume the police are being brought in for other purposes. The main purpose to prevent protesters from distracting from the pomp and circumstance of Obama's coronation with whatever message they are putting forth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2012, 10:54 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,220,362 times
Reputation: 22380
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
I have read the entire topic. I also know that it's easy to justify the taking away rights by scaring people to believe they will be safer. Maybe you missed that I already said that if they do believe this will happen, then let the President or other's authorized to do so simply state that civil rights will be suspended for the duration of the event in order to protect the participants. He has the authority to do it and it's his convention.

In taking this action he will guarantee the safety of everyone there, absolutely. Since this hasn't happened, then I assume the police are being brought in for other purposes. The main purpose to prevent protesters from distracting from the pomp and circumstance of Obama's coronation with whatever message they are putting forth.
Oh. Okay.

I understand where you are coming from.

However, for your premise to have validity (and not saying it doesn't have validity) wouldn't it mean that extraordinary measures were taking place, far more than are instituted at ANY national political convention since 9/11? Aren't the same things being done in preparation for this convention as have been done in preparation for every convention since 9/11?

We had a poster tell about her experience at an RNC convention and she said there was even barbed wire put out in areas, armed military in boats, etc.

Sounds like every convention since 9/11 has done the same types of things as are being done in preparation for this convention in Charlotte.

Maybe I am wrong. ???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2012, 10:54 AM
 
Location: Charlotte NC
11,808 posts, read 9,401,230 times
Reputation: 5274
as far as preventing protestors from stealing the show.... well, that's obvious. It's done at every convention and I'm not sure why it's being presented like it's some slick new trick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2012, 10:59 AM
 
Location: Charlotte NC
11,808 posts, read 9,401,230 times
Reputation: 5274
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Oh. Okay.

I understand where you are coming from.

However, for your premise to have validity (and not saying it doesn't have validity) wouldn't it mean that extraordinary measures were taking place, far more than are instituted at ANY national political convention since 9/11? Aren't the same things being done in preparation for this convention as have been done in preparation for every convention since 9/11?

We had a poster tell about her experience at an RNC convention and she said there was even barbed wire put out in areas, armed military in boats, etc.

Sounds like every convention since 9/11 has done the same types of things as are being done in preparation for this convention in Charlotte.

Maybe I am wrong. ???
no, you are right and I think this is why everyone is nonchalant about the preparations....

Obama (like W) has a ton of haters so it really makes sense to go a little extra with security.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2012, 11:01 AM
 
3,914 posts, read 3,961,991 times
Reputation: 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
However, for your premise to have validity (and not saying it doesn't have validity) wouldn't it mean that extraordinary measures were taking place, far more than are instituted at ANY national political convention since 9/11? Aren't the same things being done in preparation for this convention as have been done in preparation for every convention since 9/11?
A lot of things have been done since 9/11 that trample on people's rights. i agree with you there. I don't agree with it however and I don't think there is anything wrong to bring it up. I appreciate being able to do so without being equated a loon & wingnut (paraphrase) . I'm not saying you did this, but others certainly did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2012, 11:12 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,220,362 times
Reputation: 22380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
as far as preventing protestors from stealing the show.... well, that's obvious. It's done at every convention and I'm not sure why it's being presented like it's some slick new trick.
I find it fascinating that folks are speculating about protestors showing up in great numbers - to protest what? Obama running for a second term? The state of the economy?

I haven't heard a word from friends who turn out for such things. I don't do protests any longer - gave that up back in the 70s - put my time in already . . . I haven't heard a peep out of anyone about heading uptown to protest anything, be it Occupy folks or Tea Party folks. Maybe I am out of the loop since I didn't turn out for other "events."

Now, I figure bus loads of union organizers and such will be at the RNC convention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2012, 11:13 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,220,362 times
Reputation: 22380
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
A lot of things have been done since 9/11 that trample on people's rights. i agree with you there. I don't agree with it however and I don't think there is anything wrong to bring it up. I appreciate being able to do so without being equated a loon & wingnut (paraphrase) . I'm not saying you did this, but others certainly did.
And I agree with you that a lot of things have been done to trample on individual rights since 9/11.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2012, 11:16 AM
 
Location: southern california
55,696 posts, read 74,690,590 times
Reputation: 48231
the number of peace officers per square mile here has quadrupled in 30 years.
it makes u wonder where is it all going
are they here to protect us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2012, 11:31 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,220,362 times
Reputation: 22380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
the number of peace officers per square mile here has quadrupled in 30 years.
it makes u wonder where is it all going
are they here to protect us?
Seems that is the question on the table, lol.

We are told that as population grows, so does the need for officers. Crime never goes away.

There are some who believe the economy is going to collapse and so there will be rioting in the streets. But I don't see that event occurring during the DNC here in Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top