Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2012, 11:34 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,676,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
no, you are right and I think this is why everyone is nonchalant about the preparations....

Obama (like W) has a ton of haters so it really makes sense to go a little extra with security.
I'm frankly surprised that no one has taken a shot at him yet - though of course I am relieved that hasn't happened. But still, the threat is more real than ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 11:41 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,911,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
the number of peace officers per square mile here has quadrupled in 30 years.
What about the population numbers during that time? Did they change much?

How many sworn officers (per 1000 citizens) is appropriate?
In Uniform? On Patrol? Investigators? Administrative?

Does a more spread out rural area (vs urban) need more or less because of that?

Last edited by MrRational; 08-15-2012 at 11:50 AM..

Old 08-15-2012, 11:47 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,637,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I'm frankly surprised that no one has taken a shot at him yet - though of course I am relieved that hasn't happened. But still, the threat is more real than ever.
I think Joe Biden has something to do with it...

Old 08-15-2012, 02:01 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,444,534 times
JAMES: this is your thread so if you don't want this link here, I am sure our Mod can make it a separate thread. However, I thought it fit in with what we were talking about and might add to the discussion.

Jails, courts bracing for spike in arrests during DNC | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper

Mecklenburg officials will boost their jail staffing by 30 percent and put double or triple the number of magistrates on duty in anticipation of a possible spike in arrests during the Democratic National Convention.
Authorities expect as many as 10,000 protesters to descend on Charlotte, as they have for past political conventions. A protest march planned for Sunday, Sept. 2, the eve of the DNC, could be the largest in Charlotte’s history.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:34 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,518,518 times
Above:

Interesting but not too surprising. I've read in a separate article that the parking lot across from the Federal Reserve will be used to house "detainees". I'll find the article.

Would explain the tents though.

I wonder what Mountains has to say about this one. "James, I think you should visit a California re-education camp"

Old 08-15-2012, 06:40 PM

Officials are saying they are expecting about 10,000 protestors. WHAT????

Is that what cities hosting a political convention usually get? Where are all those people going to hang out? Will there be porta potties???

Old 08-15-2012, 06:48 PM

I cant find any historical data that states how many protesters show up to DNC or RNC events on average. My guess is "this many because we said so". It wouldn't be the first time local govt pulled a random number from its ass. Also, there's a lot of psychology behind choosing the number 10. best 1 out of 10, $10,000 prize, etc. I love marketing.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGTAIV View Post
I cant find any historical data that states how many protesters show up to DNC or RNC events on average. My guess is "this many because we said so". It wouldn't be the first time local govt pulled a random number from its ass. Also, there's a lot of psychology behind choosing the number 10. best 1 out of 10, $10,000 prize, etc. I love marketing.
How could they possibly know how many people are going to show up. Not like they have to get permits.

ETA: I just saw something that referred to "permits." So . . . ? A person can't just show up with a placard and protest? You have to be a member of a group? Confused.

Just noticed this:

Charlotte working with ACLU to make sure DNC protests run... | www.wsoctv.com

The group’s legal director, Chris Brook, told Eyewitness News, "We're going to be there to make sure we can be informed or respond appropriately if things on the ground aren't compatible with First Amendment rights."In the meantime, Hagemann said CMPD officers are getting training on how to keep the peace and protect constitutional rights, while keeping safety a top priority.
"There is an element of society that is not coming here to protest peacefully, and police and law enforcement agencies have to take those threats seriously," Hagemann said.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:05 PM

I'd like to know what that element is. I doubt it's the unemployed anarchists (proven time and time again to be police provocateurs). Of course there will be idiots and we need security in place to handle that but 99.9% of the protesters will be peaceful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
How could they possibly know how many people are going to show up. Not like they have to get permits.

ETA: I just saw something that referred to "permits." So . . . ? A person can't just show up with a placard and protest? You have to be a member of a group? Confused.
Oh, yeah that little free speech part of our bill of rights was suspended under Bush during his second term. It's free speech zones where you can practice without a permit. Designated areas by the police. If you want to march, you need a permit.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:10 PM

Here is one group that seems pretty organized - and is busing folks in from many locations . . .

http://wallstsouth.org/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte