U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 04:48 PM

1,475 posts, read 3,374,134 times

Advertisements

A couple of these comments are very entertaining. Some people have no idea what they are talking about.

IMO, it is a great thing to have the extra police presence, regardless of the state they are from. They aren't going to be doing drug raids or patrolling traffic. They will be working mainly downtown and DNC-related events around the city. Their main objective will be to promote order and security at those events. Don't worry, they don't want your pot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 06:02 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,172,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeytonC View Post
A couple of these comments are very entertaining. Some people have no idea what they are talking about.

IMO, it is a great thing to have the extra police presence, regardless of the state they are from. They aren't going to be doing drug raids or patrolling traffic. They will be working mainly downtown and DNC-related events around the city. Their main objective will be to promote order and security at those events. Don't worry, they don't want your pot.
Lordy, Peyton. You are right. That is what folks are worried about, isn't it -- that we are gonna suddenly have stormtroopers banging down our doors and seizing our guns and pot and wiccan symbols, lol.

Why would people think this? Nothing like that has ever happened in any other city that has hosted a DNC convention. ?????

Old 08-10-2012, 06:24 PM

28,501 posts, read 62,182,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Why would people think this?
Because someone TOLD THEM to think (or what passes for thinking) about this.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:47 AM

11,773 posts, read 9,384,465 times
some of these comments are hilarious... of course the extra police presence is for the protection and appearance of the DNC... the same thing will happen in Tampa for the RNC... it happens every 4 years. LOL...

Old 08-11-2012, 10:04 AM

3,914 posts, read 3,957,064 times
What it has done is upset downtown retailers.

All this talk of beefing up security, buying huge amounts of commando gear, large numbers of police being brought to the place has apparently backfired in that it's scaring away people from going to downtown. They were on TV this morning begging and urging people to come downtown. i.e. there is nothing worry about. LOL.

Maybe they didn't think that when they make a big deal about fighting a war, that people will choose to stay out of the war zone.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:13 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,605,991 times
Downtown retailers lol that is what 5 just kidding. I think it more than just security it is there going to be business closed streets blocked, high parking rates and massive amount of out towners, its kind of like race you avoid area so your not in the mess.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:46 AM

29,944 posts, read 27,386,421 times
People, this will be the first time the DNC is held in Charlotte, but it won't be the first DNC ever. Calm down and stop with the exaggerations.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:49 AM

1,117 posts, read 2,458,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I saw that the extra police will be from out of the area, I didn't see out of state. They're also sending extra police to Gaston & Cabarrus Counties.
From the article:
"Monroe told WBTV's Brigida Mack they've finalized that plan and will bring a network of officers Virginia, Pennsylvania, Illinois, Wisconsin and as far west as Colorado and Texas."

People complaining about extra police would also likely be the first to complain about lack of preparedness if something 'kicked-off'.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:52 AM

820 posts, read 1,535,966 times
They will be downtown in the convention area and not patrolling businesses and neighborhoods. Not an issue.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:09 AM

21,983 posts, read 27,275,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megax View Post
From the article:
"Monroe told WBTV's Brigida Mack they've finalized that plan and will bring a network of officers Virginia, Pennsylvania, Illinois, Wisconsin and as far west as Colorado and Texas."

People complaining about extra police would also likely be the first to complain about lack of preparedness if something 'kicked-off'.
Thanks. I missed that. I looked at other articles that mentioned police from elsewhere in North Carolina. I'm glad that I saw that the police beef up will include Gaston County, though. I wouldn't have thought of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or