U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2012, 03:25 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,605,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGTAIV View Post
"Because I'm LoveMountains and I say so"
But of course dahling!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 03:32 PM

8,231 posts, read 11,618,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Close the thread now folks - everything that needed to be said has just been said

LE and military are hero's to me
Military Tribute: Hero by Skillet - YouTube

Seriously? The lows get lower it seems.

Old 08-27-2012, 03:36 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,212,814 times
What is the big deal with folks showing up to protest something at a convention?

Haven't we had enough OWS and Tea Party stuff for one election cycle? It's not as though anyone who isn't already in the choir is going be interested in that same ole song again.

So why even bother?

This isn't a movie. It is real life. The President is not going to look out his hotel window and exclaim: "Oh by gosh, by golly . . . those Wall Street folks have touched my heart. I am gonna give back all corporate donations and send bank execs to jail!!! And let me make those Tea Party folks happy and let GWB's tax cuts stand. . . let's do it!"

Prez skips to the window, throws the curtains back . . .

and breaks into song (The Sound of Music)

"The streets are alive . .. with the sound of protest!
With words that portray, what a mess we're in!
My heart is so touched . . . by the sound of protest
My hand wants to sign every bill we're sent!

followed by the First Lady singing "Don't Cry for Me Charlotteans" (a la Madonna/Evita)

and a few lines out of Forrest Gump. I'm not sure which ones but maybe something relating to that whole feather thing.

#OccupyDNC

Old 08-27-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
What is the big deal with folks showing up to protest something at a convention?

Haven't we had enough OWS and Tea Party stuff for one election cycle? It's not as though anyone who isn't already in the choir is going be interested in that same ole song again.

So why even bother?

This isn't a movie. It is real life. The President is not going to look out his hotel window and exclaim: "Oh by gosh, by golly . . . those Wall Street folks have touched my heart. I am gonna give back all corporate donations and send bank execs to jail!!! And let me make those Tea Party folks happy and let GWB's tax cuts stand. . . let's do it!"

Prez skips to the window, throws the curtains back . . .

and breaks into song (The Sound of Music)

"The streets are alive . .. with the sound of protest!
With words that portray, what a mess we're in!
My heart is so touched . . . by the sound of protest
My hand wants to sign every bill we're sent!

followed by the First Lady singing "Don't Cry for Me Charlotteans" (a la Madonna/Evita)

and a few lines out of Forrest Gump. I'm not sure which ones but maybe something relating to that whole feather thing.

#OccupyDNC
Sadly, some here have NO sense of humor

Old 08-27-2012, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
This is really what it comes down to for me... The Libertarians in this thread seem to want to regress back to the "old days" (similar to the extreme right of the social conservatives, although using different issues to highlight the idea) - it's so clear in their writings and frankly a bit silly in this modern world. Our "problems" as they dictate them here are ultimately not a recent phenomenon or even remotely "new". My gggg grandad would be so blown away with technology, I can't imagine for a second he would be concerned with police measuring sticks any more then he would be outraged we trade at a global level with our sworn enemies across the ocean or every 13 year old staring at a device 24/7 while eating processed garbage daily. Nobody is learning trades or usable skills anymore - our education system is a disgrace... the entire concept of globalization would have them disgusted. The list goes on and on... Our oligarchy ceased to be the democracy they grew up to love so long ago. Please save us the soap box speech on how "stupid" we are because we do want government to provide SOME very important things to us. Safety, safety of our power supply, our water supply, our food supply...

What I find the most offensive is that they seem to think they're the only smart ones - we're the "sheep" or some other typical cliche... yet we're not the ones with the same whine over and over again about how we're losing everything and "the real America" - like this all just started in the past 5 to 10 years... Please... Do us all a favor and do something about it. Bring on the anarchy or whatever else you're praying for... just don't be a hypocrite about it all while you're spending your free time with a cocktail on your boat and eating out. It all reeks to me.
Damn good post, Mikey!

The real America is actually imaginary. It only exists in Norman Rockwell paintings.

It never was all Apple Pie, baseball and Happy Ever After.

<salutes Mikey w/ shaken, not stirred, Martini>

Old 08-27-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Sadly, some here have NO sense of humor
Meet you at the corner of Trade and Tryon. You bring the sticks. I'll bring the cardboard and felt tip markers.

Just be forewarned: I have reverted to 1968 and all my signs are gonna read:

Make Love, Not War

Since 1968, I learned that making love solves a whole lot more problems than making war, and it is also good for your complexion.

Be there or be square.

PS. Bring flowers.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Meet you at the corner of Trade and Tryon. You bring the sticks. I'll bring the cardboard and felt tip markers.

Just be forewarned: I have reverted to 1968 and all my signs are gonna read:

Make Love, Not War

Since 1968, I learned that making love solves a whole lot more problems than making war, and it is also good for your complexion.

Be there or be square.

PS. Bring flowers.

Groovy man!

I won't flake on you as long as the fuzz doesn't get too wigged out and my old man doesn't have any other plans to go all the way that night

Old 08-27-2012, 04:26 PM

We have gone round in circles and I am left with these images, these memories. No, I wasn't there, but I WAS WATCHING. The whole world really was watching.

Is this what folks want? Cause honestly, I was all for it back in 1968. Protest in the streets. Sit ins. Peace Marches.

I think the way conventions and protests are being handled today is much more civilized. I do not want to revert to 1968.

No one was measuring the length of the sticks holding up signs, I can guarantee that didn't go on.

If only that had been the only affront to protestors . . .

And it isn't as though there isn't footage of protestors baiting LE, too.

USA vs Democracy - Chicago Illinois 1968 - YouTube

Old 08-27-2012, 04:40 PM

3,914 posts, read 3,961,041 times
Quote:

Is this what folks want? Cause honestly, I was all for it back in 1968. Protest in the streets. Sit ins. Peace Marches.
Those protests were successful.

They took down a bad president who had mired the country down in a police action called a war that led to 65,000 Americans being killed for nothing. (not to mention the 1/4 of a million more maimed for life) They had no choice then. If you were drafted at age 18, you were going to Vietnam or you went to Canada to avoid being thrown in the meat grinder. Only the well connected escaped. I laugh at the notion that we face threats now that we didn't face then. Ironically exactly the same arguments were used then, you only had to change out the word terror and replace it with communist. (now the communists make everything we need for daily living)

It's ironic that the current population has so much access to technology, and they make so little of it beyond satisfaction of the most primitive of pleasures. Grandpa might be impressed by what he sees with the electronic gizmos, he would be dismayed at the dullards it has created.

Unfortunately this is the type of hyperbole that we get now when someone simply questions the huge build up of police in a city where no need has been established.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:57 PM

Hyperbole. HA!

Take a good look.

DEMs lost because people voted them out.

Let me reiterate. I was a Bobby Kennedy supporter. I participated in marches and sit-ins.

My voice, combined with hundreds of thousands of others, was heard. But it wasn't my protests that made a difference. It was my vote at the poll - mine along with a wave of others.

1968 Democratic Convention part 3 - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or