U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2012, 05:00 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,165,475 times

Advertisements

Here ya go . . . here's what others are saying about Charlotte, the DNC and Protestors . . . and the suppression of Free Speech outside the convention.

"OWS protestors will be kept far away, out in the burbs . . . "

2012 Democratic Convention: Will Occupy Wall Street Riot Like It's 1968? - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 05:00 PM

3,914 posts, read 3,956,374 times
No... I mean the constant protests by the people caused the incumbent LBJ to decide not to run for re-election.

In those days the media, who had no yet been bought out by defense contractors gave the body count each day, showed the atrocities on TV and questioned why we were there.

Old 08-27-2012, 05:07 PM

OH. And a big P.S.

Quote:

They took down a bad president who had mired the country down in a police action called a war that led to 65,000 Americans being killed for nothing.

Lyndon Baines Johnson did not run in 1968. So forget that theory about how I and my peers somehow kicked him outta office. The man was in bad health (cardiac) and died only 5 years later, 1973. His decision not to run had nada, zip, zilch to do with protestors outside his door. The man was too ill to govern.

Old 08-27-2012, 05:24 PM

If OWS protestors wish to be heard, it shouldn't matter where they are standing while they are doing their thing.

They should have the best speakers, the most articulate message and sound-bytes of the day - every day, regardless of how far away from the convention they might be located.

It really doesn't matter if they are standing in front of BoA or not. The message remains the same.

IF they get themselves organized and do more than stand around drumming and shouting out "we are the 99%" . . . cause what they have looked like so far is a bunch of disaffected Gen Xers who are pissed b/c they bought too much house and couldn't make the payments.

They need a Tom Hayden. But they don't have a Tom Hayden.

I frankly don't know why the DNC is concerned at all about OWS folks.

At least Tea Partiers had witty signs.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:21 AM

359 posts, read 504,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
There are no restrictions stated in the First Amendment.
The courts have placed restrictions on the First Amendment with regards to time/place/manner.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:37 AM

28,497 posts, read 62,167,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum View Post
The courts have placed restrictions on the First Amendment with regards to time/place/manner.
Are you trying to imply that the rights of The People to peaceably assemble...
doesn't include 4AM mobs with torches, pitchforks and shotguns? Dang!

Old 08-28-2012, 07:41 AM

7,041 posts, read 13,129,181 times
CMPD Chief Monroe on alert at RNC in Tampa | CharlotteObserver.com

Old 08-28-2012, 07:52 AM

11,773 posts, read 9,382,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Are you trying to imply that the rights of The People to peaceably assemble...
doesn't include 4AM mobs with torches, pitchforks and shotguns? Dang!
We should assemble peacefully in front of the person's house with all of the above at 4AM... lol.

In the street of course.... because that's public property.

I'm joking mods...

Old 08-28-2012, 08:32 AM

3,914 posts, read 3,956,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
The man was in bad health (cardiac) and died only 5 years later, 1973. His decision not to run had nada, zip, zilch to do with protestors outside his door. The man was too ill to govern.
He didn't run because he knew he would lose absolutely. The protests turned opinion against him. On the theory of his health, I will point out that he was a protege of FDR who died in office. It is practically unheard of for an incumbent to refuse to run.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
He didn't run because he knew he would lose absolutely. The protests turned opinion against him. On the theory of his health, I will point out that he was a protege of FDR who died in office. It is practically unheard of for an incumbent to refuse to run.
I am going on what he relayed to others and what his family, physicians and friends said about his health. I have read many biographies and several autobiographies about his contemporaries over the years, so I am not relaying my personal opinion or media myth. I am relaying what I have learned over the last 30 years.

Lady Bird relayed that the situation in the country had terribly distressed her husband and contributed to his health decline, which he minimized in public. He knew he could not govern and was uncertain he could even go through a campaign. The man was only 64 when he died! He was only 59 when he left office! That right there tells you how serious his health concerns were. He looked MUCH older, even when he took office at 55. He looked at least 10 years older than his actual age.

From Mark Updegrove, Dir of the LBJ library and author:

"People think that he was beleaguered and embattled, or he just sort of waved the white flag and said, "I'm done, I'm outta here," but that's not it at all. He decided well before that he wasn't going to run again, because he was concerned about his heart. He had a genetically weak heart. He didn't want to put the country through what might have been a health crisis, as did Woodrow Wilson and Franklin Roosevelt. "

Stories offer unique perspective of LBJ - Houston Chronicle

But whatever. Not interested in arguing over this - people believe what they want to believe.

To bring this back around to the topic at hand . . . This discussion started b/c I stated that although protestors had their voices heard, in the end, it is the VOTE AT THE POLL that counts.

And that is still true today. People who are die-hard Obama supporters would support him no matter what happened in the streets. They are supporting him b/c they have a vested interest in seeing him re-elected and there is nothing that anyone can say or do to change their minds. That is why all this angst over Protestors being heard is pretty much irrelevant as far as protests affecting the election.

I know your big thing is Freedom of Speech and preservation of individual rights and I get that - and I understand your concerns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or