U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2012, 03:46 PM

5,905 posts, read 7,759,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post

It's a statement about now, not a college Theseus on voter suppression.
What does this topic have to do with Greek mythology?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 03:47 PM

11,808 posts, read 9,401,230 times
Don't quote me, respond to me or question my context son.... I am the light. LOL

Sorry but I couldn't resist... actually I could but who cares.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:19 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,641,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
It may have died out in YOUR precinct, but the practice is still alive and well in many precincts throughout the country. Don't take my word for it - research it.
Heh, in my precinct we're mostly fat old commercial fishermen; we're already three sheets in the wind hours before we stumble into the booth!

Old 08-30-2012, 05:31 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,227,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
Heh, in my precinct we're mostly fat old commercial fishermen; we're already three sheets in the wind hours before we stumble into the booth!

Old 08-30-2012, 05:32 PM

3,914 posts, read 3,961,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
What does this topic have to do with Greek mythology?
Hmm. I always thought that trolls were part of Norse mythology, but I'll defer to your expertise and experience.

Old 08-30-2012, 06:36 PM

3,463 posts, read 3,156,762 times
Quote:
Oh Good lord.

First you commit a fallacy. In terms of what was being discussed, I made no claims about voting trends. You make the mistake of assuming this was a statement about past elections. It's not. It's a statement about now, not a college Theseus on voter suppression.

Second, it was a commentary with the same level of research, i.e. none, given in response to a comment about Voter ID that was an opinion. There was never any claims made more than what was presented. If you thought it was shotty, then that is really your issue. It was an opinion son.

Finally, if you were really interested in finding out ratio of voters to none, I assume that since you claim to be an engineer then you have the skills to look them up yourself. Hint: Try the NCBOE where the statistics came from that I posted. I would have hoped you would have taken stock at what WAS posted rather than what wasn't and reached a conclusion about that, rather than cook up something about how I post.

If you guys want to have a discussion on voter suppression, then be my guest even though it really doesn't have anything to do with this topic, but please don't drag my name into it.
Lol, don't state opinion and use nonsensical numerical data to support it, else it goes beyond opinions. You tried to base an ill-fated argument on a set of meaningless data....doesn't require a thesis related significance statement to note a bunch of numerical garbage....son.

Old 08-31-2012, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Lol, don't state opinion and use nonsensical numerical data to support it.
I posted voter statistics from the NC BOE. The only nonsense is your making such a case out of it. There is never anything wrong to show where an opinion comes from.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:43 AM

3,463 posts, read 3,156,762 times
Quote:
I posted voter statistics from the NC BOE. The only nonsense is your making such a case out of it. There is never anything wrong to show where an opinion comes from.

No, there is absolutely nothing wrong with an opinion but you provided one set of data and attempted to make an unsubstantiated claim or generalization about voter behavior. Any credible behavioral study requires volumes of observed/random data to draw any sort of conclusion. Stick with opinions not infererences or claims from limited numbers/stats, else you run the risk of being called out for nonsense.

These types of unfounded assertions are at the heart of voter apathy or self-imposed voter suppression, it comes across as hog wash and when confronted, most elected officals or leaders don't possess the intestinal fortitude to admit an error of omission or commission.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:11 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,965,529 times
Talking I wanna play!

Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
What glorious precinct is this? Are you accepting new residents?

Old 08-31-2012, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
.... but you provided one set of data and attempted to make an unsubstantiated claim or generalization about voter behavior. ......
One more time. I gave an opinion, not a scientific study, not a book of rules, not a PHD research project, not citing laws. I'm telling you that it is an opinion so this should no longer be a question for you. So move on Son, there is nothing else to this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or