U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 10:03 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,004,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
I heard people had purses/backpacks and water bottles at the convention...

I hope they enforce a no walking while holding your toy dog law...
How about the more prevalent - no walking while texting?

Toy dogs are cute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 10:05 AM

11,717 posts, read 9,341,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

Toy dogs are cute.
not when you hold them like purses... it's annoying. Especially when people try to bring them into grocery stores and restaurants.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
not when you hold them like purses... it's annoying. Especially when people try to bring them into grocery stores and restaurants.
You know you don't mind those little ankle biters sitting next to you in a restaurant.

It is so Parisienne.

The only problem with dogs in the city is poop. In Paris, they have folks hired who go around scooping poop all day. That's their whole job!

If we encouraged dogs downtown, we could create at least 2 new jobs . . . poop scoopers on scooters.

And just think how cosmopolitan that would be . . . just like Paris.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:23 AM

57 posts, read 96,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Is this what you are referring to?

Extraordinary Events/Recently Passed Ordinances
Yes. That's it.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:52 AM

5,869 posts, read 7,700,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
4.4 miles as the crow flies.

Police have the right to perform a search where they have a reasonable belief that a crime has been or will be committed by the individual and the court has given them a warrant. Maybe you should have stayed away during Jr. High social studies.
Unless you know of crows with the ability to teleport, no, you're wrong (again). The intersection mentioned in the article is over 11 miles to the TWC arena via Statesville Rd., a pretty direct route. It is outside of where the rest of 485 will be. The bigger concern with this incident IMO is that this area is probably considered "safe," so there shouldn't have to be police officers on every corner preventing crimes before they happen...

Old 09-07-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir2008 View Post
Yes. That's it.
The restrictions are only put in place when an "extraordinary event" has been declared, if I understand the statutes correctly.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:23 AM

3,521 posts, read 2,232,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Unless you know of crows with the ability to teleport, no, you're wrong (again). The intersection mentioned in the article is over 11 miles to the TWC arena via Statesville Rd., a pretty direct route. It is outside of where the rest of 485 will be. The bigger concern with this incident IMO is that this area is probably considered "safe," so there shouldn't have to be police officers on every corner preventing crimes before they happen...
I thought the same thing and decided to look myself to see how there could be such a disparity in the distances quoted. The location of the crime is a about a 12.6 mile drive from the arena and unless there are 2 areas in town that have the 3 streets mentioned in the story, 2 of which intersect - Yellow Rose Land, Terrier Way and English Setter Drive, so I don’t see how someone could mistake 4.4 for 12.6. Even eyeing it up, a straight crow’s flight looks to be not even close to 4 miles, more like 10.

I didn't get the logic here either. We shouldn't have enough cops on patrol to protect the leader of the free world and several other people important to this country? If the convention was not occurring at the time, a cop would have somehow been around to prevent this spontaneous, unplanned, (seemingly from the details in the stories on it) crime?

Old 09-11-2012, 03:35 AM

3,914 posts, read 3,940,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post

I didn't get the logic here either. We shouldn't have enough cops on patrol to protect the leader of the free world and several other people important to this country? If the convention was not occurring at the time, a cop would have somehow been around to prevent this spontaneous, unplanned, (seemingly from the details in the stories on it) crime?
The reason you don't get the logic is that you have accepted assumptions that have no basis in reality.

Apparently these police were not able to stop the theft of 1000s of dollars of equipment from the DNC out of TWC Arena while the President was giving his speech. If petty thievery can take place right under the President's nose, imagine what else could have taken place. Maybe the police should have focused less on dancing and hassling protesters excerising their constitution rights. Maybe focusing on potential gun battles taking place less than 5 miles away.

Furthermore it was the Secret Service that has the mission to protect these important people that you speak of. The 4000 police were for everything else. The apparently $50,000,000 handed to Rodney Monroe and the 4000 police resulted in just 24 minor misdemeanor charges and IMO, some of those are going to be dismissed by the DA as frivolous. The most dangerous weapon they found was an exacto knife. That's $2.1M/arrest not counting labor charges. It's a false economy if you ask me and there was no justification for it.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:38 AM

11,717 posts, read 9,341,825 times
Quote:
The reason you don't get the logic is that you have accepted assumptions that have no basis in reality.
equipment being stolen while the president is giving his speech? Oh the horror... fire them all

Stopping petty thievery was THE #1 priority during Obama's speech. Lazy bums...

Stay golden Ponyboy, stay golden....

Old 09-11-2012, 03:25 PM

3,521 posts, read 2,232,754 times
Quote:

Apparently these police were not able to stop the theft of 1000s of dollars of equipment from the DNC out of TWC Arena while the President was giving his speech. If petty thievery can take place right under the President's nose, imagine what else could have taken place. Maybe the police should have focused less on dancing and hassling protesters excerising their constitution rights. Maybe focusing on potential gun battles taking place less than 5 miles away.

Furthermore it was the Secret Service that has the mission to protect these important people that you speak of. The 4000 police were for everything else. The apparently $50,000,000 handed to Rodney Monroe and the 4000 police resulted in just 24 minor misdemeanor charges and IMO, some of those are going to be dismissed by the DA as frivolous. The most dangerous weapon they found was an exacto knife. That's $2.1M/arrest not counting labor charges. It's a false economy if you ask me and there was no justification for it.
First off, you didn't address why you keep stating that the gun battle was 5 miles away when in reality it is over 10 miles away.

Second, do you have a like for the story regarding the "theft of 1000s of dollars of equipment from the DNC out of TWC Arena while the President was giving his speech"? I've looked around and wasn't able to find anything. I know a U-Haul truck carrying equipment for Vice President Joe Biden's campaign event in Detroit Monday was stolen, but that's all I found.

Third, isn't it possible that all the security kept something bad from happening? Better safe than sorry? Kind ok like insurance? Considered a waste of money until something happens?

Fourth, can you point to one group or person that claims that they could not excerise their constitution rights?

Last edited by Redd Jedd; 09-11-2012 at 03:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or