U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 11:35 AM

8,648 posts, read 15,243,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
How do you feel about firemen from out of state flying in to contain huge fires? Same thing IMO....
Fireman don't carry guns and shoot citizens using their right to free speech!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 11:37 AM

8,648 posts, read 15,243,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
My opinion is the huge police presence is being brought in to protect the image of the DNC & Obama and little to do with real security. Anyone not toeing the party line is out. Wear the wrong teeshirt, crack on the head. Carry a protest sign, mace to the face. They don't want anyone protesting the state of the horrible economy, nobody protesting the 2-3 undeclared wars that never end, and absolutely no protests against wall street, banksters, 1%ters (less they put away the check book)

In other words it's sterilization instead of security.
this is the real reason for all of the police!!!!

Old 08-11-2012, 01:15 PM

7,041 posts, read 13,093,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
seriously?

Old 08-11-2012, 02:04 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,363,861 times
lol

Old 08-11-2012, 02:27 PM

3,914 posts, read 3,934,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Yes indeed. They shouldn't need any more police than what is needed during a large football game. Obama has his own secret security detail and they won't let anything to chance and that includes relying on anything the "Chief" Rodney Monroe is in charge of.

The real reason IMO, for battalions of extra police is to prevent the citizens from exercising their rights to free assembly on public streets in order to protest the policies of this president and the political party which he is the head of. It's become a travesty as well as a big dog and pony show which in the end, hasn't done anything for Charlotte except to greatly inconvenience it's residences and businesses.

Old 08-11-2012, 02:37 PM

I, for one, am quite glad of the extra law enforcement. I was a child, but, I still remember the riots of the 1968 DNC in Chicago. Really don't want to experience that again.

There are people with a lot of passion on both sides of the fence these days. I would rather be safe than sorry.

I really will not be impacted in any way having the DNC here. I don't really care one way or another about any of it. About the only thing that I really care about is the cost and the fact that all of that money could be much better spent on the homeless or any number of things...including adding to the education budget so we don't have such an exodus of good teachers due to the lack of resources that they have access to.

Regardless, there is nothing that I can do about that, so, if they are providing an extra service that will make us safer throughout the city...I say KUDOS!! Bring 'em on!!

Old 08-11-2012, 02:47 PM

28,360 posts, read 61,597,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
I, for one, am quite glad of the extra law enforcement. I was a child, but, I still remember the riots of the 1968 DNC in Chicago. Really don't want to experience that again.

There are people with a lot of passion on both sides of the fence these days. I would rather be safe than sorry.
Oh yeah... the cops were a BIG help there.

1968 chicago police vs protesters - YouTube

Old 08-11-2012, 02:55 PM

11,712 posts, read 9,324,455 times
lol... some of you sound crazy.

Old 08-11-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Oh yeah... the cops were a BIG help there.

1968 chicago police vs protesters - YouTube
My friend, that was the point. They did not expect the riots, did not prepare and chaos ensued. (that lasted long after the DNC left, I will add)

By contrast, Charlotte is preparing for the worst. Probably won't happen, but, at least they are prepared.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:22 PM

3,914 posts, read 3,934,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
My friend, that was the point. They did not expect the riots, did not prepare and chaos ensued. (that lasted long after the DNC left, I will add)
You don't seem to know the history.

According to Wikipedia, the Chicago police were well armed and well prepared. All the officers were required to take mandatory crowd control and riot technique courses. In fact they borrowed equipment from the US military and increased the police force by 50%. (Sound Familiar?) They would not do this if they were clueless as to what was coming. In fact they knew the Vietnam protesters and the Yippies (against corporate pigs) were heading to town. Both groups said so for months.

It was in fact the police that stated the riot as it had been peaceful until they decided to charge the protesters to break it up. I don't personally think we will see such a thing these days because people are much more pacified, do not participate in critical thought, and willing to accept the authorities for their word, than they were back in the 60s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or