U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 05:47 PM

1,475 posts, read 3,375,645 times

Advertisements

Let's keep this on topic...ie "out of state police patrolling your city", as in, CHARLOTTE!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 05:54 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,001,530 times
All of you that applaud this massive police presence will be dismayed if & when these thugs violate your rights, deny you due process, commit all manner of crimes, and then cover & "investigate" themselves. One of my neighbors is a magistrate in Charlotte and has commented many times about how " stupid" (his word) the Charlotte police are! These police are thugs on the same level as any other gang. They are not your friends. Those of you that worship these gangsters with a badge should hope they never home in on you. Because with the CMPD you're guilty until proven innocent.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:11 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,212,814 times
I don't do anything for LE to "home in" on me so I am not worried about storm troopers banging down my door and kicking my cat.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:16 PM

1,475 posts, read 3,375,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I don't do anything for LE to "home in" on me so I am not worried about storm troopers banging down my door and kicking my cat.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:00 PM
NDL

3,191 posts, read 3,655,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
I don't personally think we will see such a thing these days because people are much more pacified, do not participate in critical thought, and willing to accept the authorities for their word, than they were back in the 60s.
And we now have George McGovern incarnate, as President.

Last edited by NDL; 08-11-2012 at 10:21 PM..

Old 08-11-2012, 10:16 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,283,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
JAMES: you started this thread so I hope I don't offend you if I ask you a direct question about this post and the other one you made in re: to police riot equipment purchases.

I am wondering if you think we are going to end up with some sort of "police state" action in Charlotte during the DNC? Are you concerned about the ramp up with LE b/c you think it means there is going to be some sort of lock down military law sort of thing going on during the DNC?

I do not mean to be disrespectful, but with this thread and the other one and then the one on the low flying plane . . . just makes me wonder if you are overly anxious about having the DNC convention here or if you have heard some kind of prediction about riots breaking out, etc.
Lol, no. Am I watchful of government? Absolutely. Most idiots would rather sit there and applaud their rights being violated because its for 'Merica but I disagree with that stance. Agree or not, America is technically a police state (po·lice state Noun: A totalitarian state controlled by a political secret police force). NDAA and the Patriot Act proves this fact.

Am I the type of person who blames everything on "da gubment" and believe in some kind of prophecy? No. I don't have time to sit in front of the window all day with a shotgun keeping an eye out for drones. :P

Side note: I should have kept my mouth shut about the plane as it seems many active members are now questioning my credibility. Oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
My opinion is the huge police presence is being brought in to protect the image of the DNC & Obama and little to do with real security. Anyone not toeing the party line is out. Wear the wrong teeshirt, crack on the head. Carry a protest sign, mace to the face. They don't want anyone protesting the state of the horrible economy, nobody protesting the 2-3 undeclared wars that never end, and absolutely no protests against wall street, banksters, 1%ters (less they put away the check book)

In other words it's sterilization instead of security.

Sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
"If it's cold outside and no one is perspiring, why is this individual perspiring?"

Hot flashes / menopause perhaps?

"If it's a relaxed environment they happen to be in and everyone is standing with their hands in their pockets, why is this one person pacing?"

Uh gee...number of reasons. Could it be that they're anxious over something - perhaps a close relative is about to give birth, or maybe someone's in the hospital. Or, I hate to say it, but is there one person who hasn't paced about when they're waiting on line, and have to use the bathroom?

You see, the presumption, unfortunately, is that EVERYONE is suspect. I feel bad for the poor schlub that gets caught up in something that's nothing more than an honest misunderstanding.
Welcome to the Department of Homeland Security. Remember: If you see something, say something. *vomit*

Last edited by JamesGTAIV; 08-11-2012 at 10:27 PM..

Old 08-11-2012, 10:20 PM
NDL

3,191 posts, read 3,655,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeytonC View Post
Let's keep this on topic...ie "out of state police patrolling your city", as in, CHARLOTTE!!
I'll echo a point that another poster made:

I can only imagine what (or how) an officer from another state (e.g. New York) would treat a law abiding, gun carrying, North Carolinian.

In casual conversation, I've found that North Carolinians can't even fathom how restrictive the gun laws are in NYS. In other words, officers from up North might instinctively treat adversarily that activity which is lawful, and Constitutional, in NC.

This might get interesting...

Old 08-12-2012, 08:36 AM

310 posts, read 592,407 times
How do I feel about it? The same way I do about all LEO's: Go away. I don't need you. Or want you. You're never around to do the protecting part, but you're always around to write tickets or harass people.

I recognize, especially in the wake of recent events, that my personal safety and protection is my personal responsibility at all times.

The Police are not here to protect you, and there have been a couple landmark court cases that have established legal precedent to that fact. Get trained in hand to hand. Get trained with a blade and carry one everywhere. Do the same with a sidearm. Stay aware and stay vigilant. It's your job to make sure you stay alive and not become a chalk outline for a bunch of cops to pour over while your loved ones cry.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
I'll echo a point that another poster made:

I can only imagine what (or how) an officer from another state (e.g. New York) would treat a law abiding, gun carrying, North Carolinian.

In casual conversation, I've found that North Carolinians can't even fathom how restrictive the gun laws are in NYS. In other words, officers from up North might instinctively treat adversarily that activity which is lawful, and Constitutional, in NC.

This might get interesting...
NDL - had not even thought about that aspect of things. Valid point.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGTAIV View Post
Lol, no. Am I watchful of government? Absolutely. Most idiots would rather sit there and applaud their rights being violated because its for 'Merica but I disagree with that stance. Agree or not, America is technically a police state (po·lice state Noun: A totalitarian state controlled by a political secret police force). NDAA and the Patriot Act proves this fact.

Am I the type of person who blames everything on "da gubment" and believe in some kind of prophecy? No. I don't have time to sit in front of the window all day with a shotgun keeping an eye out for drones. :P

Side note: I should have kept my mouth shut about the plane as it seems many active members are now questioning my credibility. Oh well.

Sorry

Welcome to the Department of Homeland Security. Remember: If you see something, say something. *vomit*
Well, I don't think you are overly vigilant - and I am still wondering about that low plane you spotted. I know I agreed w/ others that it most likely had something to do with DNC or nighttime military maneuvers but I keep thinking - what if it didn't? Cause it is not like we ever heard a report about it. And I also would have no idea who to even "report" it to . . . cause it appears if it is legit - it is covert - and if it isn't, no one will reveal it, lol. So my feeling is - oh well. Nothing I can do about it so just assume it was "nothing."

I also know what you are saying about the Patriot Act. It definitely eroded our rights as citizens, regardless of what noble reasons may have been behind it.

I just wondered if you had heard something that indicated that LE are expecting a big mess in Charlotte and no one is wanting to upset the residents, so no one is actually talking about it.

I don't plan to go anywhere near the convention, so I just assumed we are gonna be fine "out in the burbs."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or