Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2012, 04:22 PM

527 posts, read 919,733 times

Advertisements

Lake Vistas Ad - 9/6/2012 - Lots & Land Ad in Charlotte

Is this a good investment ? I am not clear about the value proposition of this place?

This falls between 3 important cities in nc, but is it worth it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 05:46 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,239,899 times
I've seen quite a few of these flyers. In fact, I get them in the mail a few times a month. Some are for lake front lots and/or homes, others of them are for mountain lots and/or cabins. The prices always seem too good to be true, but I've been interested in several properties.

Does anyone have any experience with these types of offers? Are some more reputable than others?

Old 09-11-2012, 08:58 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADA_NC View Post
Lake Vistas Ad - 9/6/2012 - Lots & Land Ad in Charlotte

Is this a good investment ? I am not clear about the value proposition of this place?

This falls between 3 important cities in nc, but is it worth it?

These lots are apparently on Lake Rhodhiss near Hickory.

The lake is smallish with a surface area of about 3000 acres and 90 miles of shoreline.

It was built in the 1920's by Duke Power and supplies the drinking water for Granite Falls, Lenoir, Morganton and Valdese. Because of this, it is likely clean and unpolluted. It is fed by the Catawba River.

I'm only familiar with it as a place to do some good fishing.

Obviously some development deal went bankrupt in the recession and now the property is bank owned.

For anyone interested in having a home on water, it might be worth a day trip out to see it, as the prices do seem incredible for waterfront. It's not in a upscale area at all, and is probably more of a middle class haven.

I'll add that the lake above Lake Rhodhiss is my favorite in the state - Lake James. If I were looking to be on water with a mountain backdrop, THAT is where I'd go

Old 09-12-2012, 03:21 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,973,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

I'll add that the lake above Lake Rhodhiss is my favorite in the state - Lake James. If I were looking to be on water with a mountain backdrop, THAT is where I'd go
Yes indeed. I enjoy boating on that lake. It's the nicest on the Catawba system. I looked at home prices there once and they were quite flabbergasting almost at Lake Norman prices, but they may have come down in the last couple of years. My preference for a mountain lake however is Fontana. The TVA's Lake Watauga between Boone & Johnson City is also very nice for a lake in a mountain setting.

In general however I think Duke Energy, which manages all the lakes on the Catawba system down to Lake Wateree has ruined every one of it's lakes with over development. It's especially bad on Hickory, Norman, Wylie and Wateree. IMO, they should have had their license taken away from them given how badly it's been managed for the sake or their own profits. I also give them very poor marks on lake maintenance.

Go to any other lake, not managed by them, in the Carolinas and it's immediately how bad these lakes have become. Lake Hartwell in SC & Kerr Scott Reservoir north of Charlotte are managed by the federal government and they are very nice in comparison. There are similar bankrupted developments on the NE of Lake Norman where Crescent stripped some of the last undeveloped land left that have sat there for a couple of years when they went bankrupt.

I would not invest in a Duke Energy lake when there are so many better alternatives out there.

Last edited by frewroad; 09-12-2012 at 03:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte