Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 05:26 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,033,451 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who is with the Department of Homeland Security. She has been working in excess of 12-hour days/ 7 days a week to prepare for the DNC. She assures me that all out-of-state police will be properly trained in NC law; and, specifically CLT law. It will NOT be a police state. However, it will be quite secure as some very powerful people will be here. (as a logical person would expect).

I think that it will be a non-event in University City. Not worried about any of it. Of course, my party lifestyle of work-home-church-What if Everyone participation will have to be curtailed, I am sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 08:06 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
I have a friend who is with the Department of Homeland Security. She has been working in excess of 12-hour days/ 7 days a week to prepare for the DNC. She assures me that all out-of-state police will be properly trained in NC law; and, specifically CLT law. It will NOT be a police state. However, it will be quite secure as some very powerful people will be here. (as a logical person would expect).

I think that it will be a non-event in University City. Not worried about any of it. Of course, my party lifestyle of work-home-church-What if Everyone participation will have to be curtailed, I am sure.
I would think everyone would receive training, so that is reassuring.

We have all heard of conflict at the exact area where conventions (of many types) have been held, but honestly - it is hard for me to get too hung up on real risk to residents who aren't putting themselves in the middle of the traffic, closed streets, added people walking around, etc.

I do wonder what types of preparations/precautions are being made, simply b/c it is interesting. However, I would think the types of things that secret service and homeland security are doing behind the scenes are not something we would ever hear about - and it is not necessary we hear about it.

I just don't plan to go uptown.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:34 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,518,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I don't plan to go anywhere near the convention, so I just assumed we are gonna be fine "out in the burbs."
Yeah, I don't think you're going to have any issues during the DNC. My main concern, and the reason I'm leaving for the DNC, is because of the police presence. I live across the street from the TWC Arena and everyday I can see more "add-ons" for security. It's just not a comforting thing to see.

It's not the protesters I'm worried about, it's the over-militarized police.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:38 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGTAIV View Post
Yeah, I don't think you're going to have any issues during the DNC. My main concern, and the reason I'm leaving for the DNC, is because of the police presence. I live across the street from the TWC Arena and everyday I can see more "add-ons" for security. It's just not a comforting thing to see.

It's not the protesters I'm worried about, it's the over-militarized police.
I think I asked you this once before but you never answered me....are you an American, or have you come from another country to become an American?

Your unreasonable concerns about law enforcement indicate to me that you have come from some place like China or Mexico

Old 08-12-2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I think I asked you this once before but you never answered me....are you an American, or have you come from another country to become an American?

Your unreasonable concerns about law enforcement indicate to me that you have come from some place like China or Mexico
I don't know if I should be offended or not, LOL. And I did answer you before. I'm an American citizen, born and raised in NC.

And please tell me what makes my concerns "unreasonable". Your problem is lack of research and travel which you just proved when you cited China or Mexico; places where nobody questions government authority. Have you ever been to Mexico, Brazil, Venezuela, Greece, China? Those places ARE the definition of a police state. You know how they got there? Ignorant citizens who called suspicion of government activities and funding "unreasonable". Maybe you're okay with black SUV's armored like tanks rolling down your street or police in camo with M4's but that bothers the hell out of me. As well as the fact that US parents now allow their children to be sexually assaulted in airports. All because some douche has a sewn on badge.

Maybe I should start screaming "9/11" so people will do anything I tell them to.

Nobody sees how ridiculous this security fad has become?! It's like the twilight zone!

EDIT: No offense to you Mountains. I just find it disgusting.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:01 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
I don't know if I should be offended or not, LOL. And I did answer you before. I'm an American citizen, born and raised in NC.

And please tell me what makes my concerns "unreasonable". Your problem is lack of research and travel which you just proved when you cited China or Mexico; places where nobody questions government authority. Have you ever been to Mexico, Brazil, Venezuela, Greece, China? Those places ARE the definition of a police state. You know how they got there? Ignorant citizens who called suspicion of government activities and funding "unreasonable". Maybe you're okay with black SUV's armored like tanks rolling down your street or police in camo with M4's but that bothers the hell out of me. As well as the fact that US parents now allow their children to be sexually assaulted in airports. All because some douche has a sewn on badge.

Maybe I should start screaming "9/11" so people will do anything I tell them to.

Nobody sees how ridiculous this security fad has become?! It's like the twilight zone!

EDIT: No offense to you Mountains. I just find it disgusting.

No offense meant, and none take

I am just trying to understand your concerns.

As a libertarian myself I am not keen on anything that puts our rights and liberties at risk.

However, I am pro law enforcement and pro military.

I do not fear their presence and do not feel threatened in any way like you do.

Of course any profession made up of large numbers will have their occasional bad apple (doctors, lawyers, clergy, teachers, etc).

But overall, I am extremely grateful for, and proud of, the people who put their lives on the line every day for the rest of us who can't or won't.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:16 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,201,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post

7 days a week ,12 hours a day? GOD Please tell me she isnt getting paid overtime pay..from my tax dollars. If she is that in itself is a financial waste.....We dont need people sucking up thousands in extra overtime pay.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:08 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,971,367 times
Quote:

If "pro" means the government can use the power of violence without regard to the Constitution and the rights of the people, then two events come to mind.

The Kent State Shootings & Vietnam

The people should never lose control over the part of the government that is authorized to kill people in order to enforce government policy. Otherwise the tragedies of what happens at these two places will be repeated. I'm not 'pro' anything having to do with the government. Society works best when government is as small as possible. This is what our framers intended.

Last edited by frewroad; 08-13-2012 at 03:16 AM..

Old 08-13-2012, 05:37 AM

Quote:
No offense meant, and none take

I am just trying to understand your concerns.

As a libertarian myself I am not keen on anything that puts our rights and liberties at risk.

I do not fear their presence and do not feel threatened in any way like you do.

Of course any profession made up of large numbers will have their occasional bad apple (doctors, lawyers, clergy, teachers, etc).

But overall, I am extremely grateful for, and proud of, the people who put their lives on the line every day for the rest of us who can't or won't.
I absolutely agree with you. Although I do fear the police and the military, I do not fear the individual officer or individual soldier. My opinion is crowd control needs to go both ways. When a protest becomes a riot, there is something there to control it, but when the police become thugs, there is no control. It takes one molotov cocktail to start a situation like Greece and it takes one gun shot from an officer to create a situation like Kent State. It's that one "bad apple" that can destroy society.

My concern is the group, not the individual.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:46 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,644,374 times
Quote:
I absolutely agree with you. Although I do fear the police and the military, I do not fear the individual officer or individual soldier. My opinion is crowd control needs to go both ways. When a protest becomes a riot, there is something there to control it, but when the police become thugs, there is no control. It takes one molotov cocktail to start a situation like Greece and it takes one gun shot from an officer to create a situation like Kent State. It's that one "bad apple" that can destroy society.

My concern is the group, not the individual.
You are being extreme... a bad apple can destroy and event but they aren't going to destroy "society" as a whole based on one or 2 events.

If we had a ramp up without the DNC in Charlotte I would be very concerned but the President of the United States and half the government are coming to Charlotte. I doubt you are really this paranoid by the obvious...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte