Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2012, 02:24 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,275,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Ahh. This explains it all.
Lol, check-and-mate....the inability to provide safe drinking water presents a bit of a challenge wouldn't you say...more and more gov regs/policies....tons of complaints every day...now, continue with reading, it's fundamental.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGTAIV View Post
It's funny, I watched that movie two days after this thread started and instantly thought about the UN peacekeepers and how DHS calls the TSA and police the same thing.

I guess "peace" is the next term to be redefined by the government. Hell, it already has been. Libya anyone? Syria? Iran?

Bombing and pillaging these countries is the only way we can create a peaceful intervention. The day peace comes at the velocity of a bullet, we have a problem.

I digress

My point is the American public has no ****ing clue and they prove it on a daily basis when they say they're "proud" of our domestic fear policy and how well it protects them.
What makes the american public clueless and you so informed? What makes you so sure the "propoganda" that encompasses your world any more reliable than what's already out there?

Old 08-27-2012, 02:38 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,518,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
What makes the american public clueless and you so informed? What makes you so sure the "propoganda" that encompasses your world any more reliable than what's already out there?
What makes you so sure I have a propaganda source? I look everywhere I can and come to my own conclusions. I don't believe a word of the bull**** that comes out of anyone's mouth. I don't need an opinion attached to a story and I don't want one. Unless it has a PDF or any other form of hard evidence, I don't believe it. Simple as that. I know history, I know how this new age of security effects me and based on those two things, I have a pretty clear idea of where this is headed because you know what? It's all happened before. How do I know the American public is clueless? Because look at where we are today. Stupid question. If you give, government will take. When has this ever not been the case? If you're willing to give your life for you country, government will take it. If you're willing to "sacrifice" liberty for your country, government will (is) take it.

How do I know I'm so informed? I never said that. I just say "No, I don't ****ing want this crap anymore."

Old 08-27-2012, 02:46 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,971,367 times
Quote:
Lol, check-and-mate....the inability to provide safe drinking water presents a bit of a challenge wouldn't you say...more and more gov regs/policies....
But you never answered the question that I posed to you. i.e. What extreme and over the top measures have been imposed to protect CMUDs water system? You presented a web page showing a secure control system from another state. However you also proved that your paycheck in part depends upon the said of security systems to municipalities. Money is a big motivator that blinds people to reality.

One of CMUDs intakes is right next to the busiest boat landings in the county. They share the same parking lot there were hundreds of people there and many high powered boats that could conceal anything. There is even a walking trail and restaurant next to it. I was there yesterday and people, the kind who don't know boating rules, were ignoring the channel markers and driving their boats right next to the thing. I certainly didn't see any signs of "over the top" and extreme security measures.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
But you never answered the question that I posed to you. i.e. What extreme and over the top measures have been imposed to protect CMUDs water system? You presented a web page showing a secure control system from another state. However you also proved that your paycheck in part depends upon the said of security systems to municipalities. Money is a big motivator that blinds people to reality.

One of CMUDs intakes is right next to the busiest boat landings in the county. They share the same parking lot there were hundreds of people there and many high powered boats that could conceal anything. There is even a walking trail and restaurant next to it. I was there yesterday and people, the kind who don't know boating rules, were ignoring the channel markers and driving their boats right next to the thing. I certainly didn't see any signs of "over the top" and extreme security measures.
Man, govco is beginning to farm out regs/policies left and right for cyber security water/waste treatment and electric power grid infrastructure (everywhere, CMUD included). I don't doubt there is a bit of hyberbole and Y2K involved....but would you wanna take the risk?....especially with drinking water. I don't think so.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:56 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Quote:
What do you think your grandaddy would think of his great gggg grand kids who thought that it was perfectly OK for the police to be walking around with measuring tapes and demanding that law abiding citizens hand over their protest signs so they can measure the length? A society where anyone can say anything and it's believed as fact and we must take away rights because "IT" might happen.

I'm thinking he would say, "boy's lay down your weapons... it's not worth it". At least I'm pretty sure mine would.
We can't compare the Revolutionary War era to some police at a protest march measuring handles on signs. Well, I mean we can, but it would be pretty silly and I do know my predecessors would agree with me on that.

Old 08-27-2012, 03:00 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
BIG ARI: What you brought up is exactly why I do not want to live off the grid.

I want someone out there to be taking care of this stuff. That is what I want my tax dollars underwriting.

To me, shifting responsibility onto the individual for every aspect of personal safety is regressive. That is what my ggggrandaddy had to do back in the 1700s. After 9/11, I thought about this a lot. I thought - do I want to live near nuclear reactors that could be targets for terrorists (and other such thoughts).

I came to the conclusion that there is always going to be some level of interdependency with government regulators unless I remove myself completely from society and live off the grid.

That may be nice if a person wants to grow pot or make their own liquor, but other than that . . . I don't want to play sentry 24/7. I want the sheriff to do that. :-)

I wanna know my water is not only uncontaminated, I want to know it hasn't be infiltrated by some god awful bacteria or virus dumped into the system by some extremist.

I want to know the food I buy goes thru/ at least some sort of perfunctory inspection; the prescription drugs I buy really do contain what is on the label.

I hate government regs as much as anyone, but I don't see how society can be orderly without them. Yes, over-regulation is real . . . but . . . what's the alternative.

So yes, I am very happy that my tax dollars go to a system to prevent cyber attacks.

And somewhere on some visceral level - Pollyanna-ish tho it may be - I want to believe that LE is there to protect me from the bad guys, not protect the government from me.

Close the thread now folks - everything that needed to be said has just been said

LE and military are hero's to me
Military Tribute: Hero by Skillet - YouTube

Old 08-27-2012, 03:02 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,971,367 times
Quote:
....I don't doubt there is a bit of hyberbole and Y2K involved....but would you wanna take the risk?....especially with drinking water. I don't think so.
Until the risk is clearly defined on exactly what would take place, what the target might be, who might do it, and the end result, then it's counter productive to try and do something. The end result may be worse because you wasted resources chasing your own tail. It's one thing to secure a computer system. It's quite another to start pointing guns at people who have done nothing wrong.

Unless we turn this into a complete police state, the state can not make things completely safe. They tried this in Eastern Europe and the Soviet Union. The governments collapsed. Thankfully and mostly without bloodshed.

My point in this topic is that none of the above, let me state that again, nothing, has been specified about the risk to justify the bringing in out of state police into the city of Charlotte. So that is why the police are walking around with measuring tapes and measuring protester signs.

Old 08-27-2012, 03:07 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,518,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Close the thread now folks - everything that needed to be said has just been said
"Because I'm LoveMountains and I say so"

If you want the thread to die, don't bump it with useless praise.

I get it, the guys sign up to do something most don't have the balls to do... Fantastic. My hero are the one's who question the pulling of the trigger and ask the simple question "why?". When did the value of a single human beings life become nothing?

Old 08-27-2012, 03:16 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,025,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
We can't compare the Revolutionary War era to some police at a protest march measuring handles on signs. Well, I mean we can, but it would be pretty silly and I do know my predecessors would agree with me on that.
This is really what it comes down to for me... The Libertarians in this thread seem to want to regress back to the "old days" (similar to the extreme right of the social conservatives, although using different issues to highlight the idea) - it's so clear in their writings and frankly a bit silly in this modern world. Our "problems" as they dictate them here are ultimately not a recent phenomenon or even remotely "new". My gggg grandad would be so blown away with technology, I can't imagine for a second he would be concerned with police measuring sticks any more then he would be outraged we trade at a global level with our sworn enemies across the ocean or every 13 year old staring at a device 24/7 while eating processed garbage daily. Nobody is learning trades or usable skills anymore - our education system is a disgrace... the entire concept of globalization would have them disgusted. The list goes on and on... Our oligarchy ceased to be the democracy they grew up to love so long ago. Please save us the soap box speech on how "stupid" we are because we do want government to provide SOME very important things to us. Safety, safety of our power supply, our water supply, our food supply...

What I find the most offensive is that they seem to think they're the only smart ones - we're the "sheep" or some other typical cliche... yet we're not the ones with the same whine over and over again about how we're losing everything and "the real America" - like this all just started in the past 5 to 10 years... Please... Do us all a favor and do something about it. Bring on the anarchy or whatever else you're praying for... just don't be a hypocrite about it all while you're spending your free time with a cocktail on your boat and eating out. It all reeks to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte