U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2012, 02:35 PM

5 posts, read 7,319 times

Advertisements

Hi - I may be moving to the Davidson area next year and would like any feedback on schools.

I'm have a kindergartener that is reading prior to the start of the school year, and want to make sure she goes to a school that has a place for those that are a little ahead.

Also - I would like to not have to pay for private school.

Any feed back would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 02:39 PM

686 posts, read 1,418,102 times
She will be right at home at Davidson Elementary. Many of their Kindergartners can read before school starts.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:49 PM

2,104 posts, read 3,585,433 times
Davidson is a good school, it scores 93.3 on performance score.

http://abcs.ncpublicschools.org/abcs/

Old 08-10-2012, 05:35 PM

80 posts, read 145,054 times
Rather than responding to both of your posts, I will just respond here.
You mentioned you were open to living in Davidson or the surrounding areas. The two closest elementary schools to Davidson are Davidson Elementary and Cornelius Elementary. Out of the two, I have heard more positive feedback about Davidson but both score very well. The only "concern" to some parents is that they are both in the Charlotte Mecklenburg School District. Clearly they perform very well, but there is a stigma there for some (large district,administrative concerns, higher turnover, zoning concerns, etc.)
I have friends that are very content at Davidson Elementary, but they all seemed to question the charter/private route just based on the input of others. However, it is hard to tell if that input is based on real concerns, perceived issues or status. Greatschools.org is a great resource for parent reviews.
The two most popular charter options in Davidson are the Community School and Pine Lake Prep. Both have require entering a lottery to attend and I heard of people getting lottery numbers in the 400's for the 25 available seats. With those, I think it really depends on the learning style & setting that you prefer. It is worth a tour, but I would be hesitant to make any plans because space is so limited. They lotteries have also already occurred for this school year. There are also several other up and coming charters near Davidson that charge tuition but hope to obtain charter status in the next few years. Davidson Day School is the main private school serving Davidson and again I have heard mixed reviews. GreatSchools.org or similar review sites would also be helpful if you are interested in going that route.
If you are working in Davidson there is really no reason to look elsewhere but if a zoning for CMS is a concern, you could look north to Iredell Statesville Schools in Mooresville (LakeShore Elementary, Lake Norman Elementary) or north to Mooresville Graded School District (South Elementary, Rocky River Elementary, Park View Elementary). ISS is a quite a bit smaller than CMS and MGSD is even smaller. The feel of these areas are all very different though, so it really depends on what your preference is for housing, surrounding area, etc.
Additionally, you will find that if you shift your search to the west side of Davidson you can find Cabarrus county schools.
As far as reading prior to K, I think you will find that somewhat common at any of the above schools as there are several strong preschool programs in the area and lots of parent involvement.

Overall, I think you will find lots of choices for good schools in the Lake Norman area it just depends on which is the best fit for your family.

Last edited by ocean22; 08-10-2012 at 06:49 PM..

Old 08-10-2012, 08:05 PM

5 posts, read 7,319 times
Thanks!

Old 09-14-2012, 04:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,152 times
Default Stay away from Davidson Day

Woodlawn has a granola feel to it and as long as the student body and families retain educated families with a more liberal edge and not compromise on fast growth then I believe it will be the top area school in 10-20 years.
Davidson Day is a mess. The headmaster was just fired and now there is a "blame it on the old guard" mentality. Before that it was a "Blame it on Football" mentality . My belief is that many parents are terrified to take their kids out because all they have invested heavily into the growth of the school and each year they assume it will improve.
Cannon is a great choice if you don't mind the commute.
Pinelake, Davidson community are also choices but remember anyone can enter the lottery which means there is sometimes a better discrepency between learning styles than at public schools...if you get my drift. IB school is fine but if you can afford tuiton at any of the 3 private schools (including DDAY) then just take the prep school route.
Public schools in the area are fine. You are in a financially gifted area so most of the students come from educated homes.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:45 AM

92 posts, read 188,356 times
GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community - - I found this site extremely helpful with my young ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte