Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2012, 06:54 PM

28 posts, read 38,260 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if there is a babysitting cooperative around southern Charlotte/SW? We would like to give our 2.5 year old girl the opportunity to spend time away from us in a family atmosphere rather then in a chain daycare. In Maine, they had alot of these groups which allowed families to watch other kids in exchange for them to watch yours. We found this technique as parents so much more personable because it was really all about the children. Most of the time this was used for nights out and even for parents who are having a hard time when their hours were cut down to part time. At times, it was almost a support group for parents that care.

Being new to the area I wasnt sure if one of these existed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 10:31 AM

469 posts, read 891,298 times
I don't know of one - my kids are long beyond that, but when my son was little, I started one in my neighborhood. I just put out a flyer asking if anyone was interested - we ended up with about 20 people. Now granted, that was around 20 years ago. Once we had people express an interest, we all met and hammered out our rules. We used tickets to "pay" - I can't remember how many we started out with, but I'll say we gave everyone 10 hours. That just made sure that you didn't have one person using the service for dropping off their kids without agreeing to sit for someone else. You had your 10 hours to spend for free and you were also able to spend what you earned for sitting yourself. We ended up having a wonderful group - we went to Carowinds together, had neighborhood parties for holidays together, cooked meals for new moms when a new baby was born. Eventually kids grew up and people moved (including me). I used to laugh because I would make sure a new mom had enough meals brought to them for a month and I'd say - you watch, when I have my 2nd child, I won't have anyone to bring me any. And that's what happened - we moved and I never started on in the new neighborhood.

Being new to the area - this would also be a great way for you to meet people.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:03 PM

430 posts, read 804,381 times
If I were you, I'd join CharlotteMommies.com and see if anyone in your area is interested.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:40 PM

184 posts, read 467,391 times
I second CharlotteMommies. I would post in your neighborhood assoc. newsletter or your church (if you belong to one). I joined a mommy group through meetup and they had a babysitting co-op. we used stringed beads instead of tickets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte