U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 05:45 PM

7,107 posts, read 9,708,723 times

Advertisements

crisis?
In many other parts of the country many folks are renting out a bedroom to pick up a little income during this downturn.

Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 05:56 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,473,248 times
I did this a few times over the past several years when I wanted a little help with winter bills. I'd tell people my preference would be that they stay a "2 to 4" month time frame. It worked OK for a while, but the last person stayed over a year ... and I finally got tired of it and said "It's time for you to move on". The boarder wasn't a bad person at all, but I simply wanted my privacy and quiet back again. Since then I have simply worked harder at cutting the utility bills down on my own.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:57 PM

28,404 posts, read 61,893,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
many folks are renting out a bedroom to pick up a little income during this downturn.
Your thoughts?
I'm not doing it now but for about ten years after divorcing I did it a lot.
Doing it right or well... is trickier than dating.

Don't bring anyone in to your home who NEEDS the $300 a month they'll save being there
vs renting a studio let alone anyone who wouldn't qualify to rent that studio.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:19 PM

222 posts, read 457,618 times
I moved to a new city a few years ago and did this for awhile until I got my bearings. I'll tell you what the hardest part of this is, and that is for both the renter and the landlord to feel comfortable sharing the house. The renter will often feel like he's imposing on the household, because let's get real, it's just strange to be in someone else's home, walking through the kitchen as the family who lives in the home is eating dinner or going on about their day. At the same time, the people that live in the household might have a hard time adjusting their lifestyle to make the renter feel welcome. Personally I wouldn't do it again, either as a renter or landlord. I just felt that I was imposing on a family that wanted their own life and that just wanted to make a few extra bucks a month.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:45 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,473,248 times
When I was in my 20s, this was how I'd hop from city to city. When I got into my 30s I was more willing to lease a house or apartment and be the person "in control" of who moves in with me.

It's generally not as bad as college days, where you have friends of friends sleeping over, loud music, etc. The owners normally want their own space, but sometimes they are older and a bit lonely and want to socialize. Suburbia can be somewhat stifling to some people and the boarder gives them an excuse to talk with a stranger.

Some owners are controlling jerks. If I got a vibe that somebody was going to impose lots of rules, I kept looking.

You see interesting combinations of roomers, though. It might be a house owned by an absentee investor who rents each room. Or an elderly person who rents all the rooms but one, trying to "earn" an income. Sometimes it's a little bit like MTV "Real World" - just odd personalities, maybe a married couple and a few singles sharing a place.

I once met an owner who told me that he and the boarders liked to smoke pot, so I shouldn't move in if I had a problem with it. And that he was also renting some unpermitted sheds in the back, so don't talk about that either. LOL.

Last edited by Sean_CLT; 08-13-2012 at 07:38 PM..

Old 08-13-2012, 07:37 PM

8,402 posts, read 20,298,664 times
I'd sell my house before I rented part of it out to a stranger.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:04 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,059,012 times
Well, I have thought about renting out our bonus room to a college student . . . but I just never could figure out how we would maintain our sense of privacy. In our previous home, our own kids moved in and out of the walk-out garden level basement many times over about 6 years after they all graduated from college. With a private entrance, bedroom, kitchenette, den . . . it was very workable. So that would have definitely worked to rent to someone.

I just don't know how I would feel about my privacy in shared spaces in our present home and I can't stand it when anyone moves things around in my kitchen . . . I think that would make for a difficult situation.

It wouldn't be worth the money to me unless it was at least $400 a month, plus some help with the yard maintenance, lol. Of course, I would provide one good meal a day for that price . . .

Old 08-13-2012, 09:24 PM

359 posts, read 503,703 times
Absolutely not lol

I don't trust people enough for this

Old 08-13-2012, 09:35 PM

16,025 posts, read 19,604,450 times
In N.D. lots of folks are doing this in the oil boom areas. Many do it for the extra income, plus there is such a shortage of housing they are helping folks that otherwise wouldn't have housing. I am not sure I would be brave enough to rent out a couple of rooms. Plus I, like a few of you, would feel like I had company all the time, and never be able to really relax.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:24 PM

1,670 posts, read 5,801,110 times
I see that my cousin is doing this in her apartment in Sanford. She had two rooms not being occupied. She usually rents to IT professionals who are on a short term assignment and want more of the home environment.

I agree it does create some issues, just me visiting, I felt like an intruder to these two men who moved about. If I had to do it, I guess you swallow it up for the dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte