U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 02:41 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,009,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Obama could save a tea party members life and they would call him the Devil to his face the moment they woke up.
I would hope they would say "Thank you."

I have not been hearing this from Tea Partiers. I actually first heard it from a friend of mine in Missouri who is a Democrat, but who refused to vote for Obama for that very reason - this clip and her belief that it proves he is the anti-christ.

Don't mean to take this off track from the billboards.

I think people can interpret things many ways, even if they come to it without ill intent. Some people see these billboards as silly or even humorous . . . others see them as mocking, slanderous and mean spirited.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:43 PM

21,867 posts, read 21,991,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Mormon's are Christians? I guess Scientology is a form of Christianity as well.
I don't really have a whole lot of knowledge of Scientology, so I'll leave it to a Scientologist to comment on that religion. I can tell you a little bit about Mormonism, though. Mormons believe that Jesus Christ is the fully divine Son of God and the Creator of our universe. They believe that He was born to a virgin, lived a perfect life, took upon Himself the sins of mankind, dying an excruciating death in order that we might be reconciled to God, rose from the dead after three days in the tomb, ascended into Heaven where he sits today on the right hand of His Father, will someday return to the Earth to reign and will, at that time, act as our advocate with God when we stand before Him to be judged. I don't know about you, but that sounds pretty Christian to me.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:57 PM

5,150 posts, read 6,639,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
But they clearly address Christians as well as Mormons (who are also Christians, btw, lol) and they call Jesus a "useless savior." They call God sadistic and a space alien, clearly an attempt at mockery of a group's beliefs.
The one thing that atheists study religion more than the religious (overall). Mormons don't believe in the Trinity which is a basic tenant of the Christian faith as set down in the early 4th century.

Maybe that's why he did two billboards. Or maybe it was just for the shock value.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:02 PM

3,914 posts, read 3,941,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
.. Mormons believe that Jesus Christ is the fully divine Son of God and the Creator of our universe. They believe that He was born to a virgin, lived a perfect life, took upon Himself the sins of mankind, dying an excruciating death in order that we might be reconciled to God, rose from the dead after three days in the tomb, ascended into Heaven where he sits today on the right hand of His Father, will someday return to the Earth to reign and will, at that time, act as our advocate with God when we stand before Him to be judged. I don't know about you, but that sounds pretty Christian to me.
Islam also believes almost all of this about Jesus. But this doesn't mean they are Christian.

If I'm not mistaken both Islam & Mormans fault Christians for ignoring all of God's actions that have taken place since those days. i.e. God's dealings with Muhammad & Joseph Smith.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:00 PM

21,867 posts, read 21,991,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Islam also believes almost all of this about Jesus. But this doesn't mean they are Christian.
Islam believes a small amount of this. Islam does not teach that Jesus Christ is divine and the actual Son of God. Islam does not teach that Jesus Christ atoned for the sins of mankind. Islam does not teach that Jesus Christ rose from the dead. Islam does not teach that Jesus Christ is the way, the truth and the life, and the only means by which we can be saved. Muslims hold Jesus Christ in high regard as a prophet of God, but that is all. Furthermore, Muslims don't claim to be Christians.

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken both Islam & Mormans fault Christians for ignoring all of God's actions that have taken place since those days. i.e. God's dealings with Muhammad & Joseph Smith.
You lost me on that.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:11 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,475,137 times
__________________________________________________ _____________________________
__________________________________________________ ______________________________
Guys Gals in 90 some post everyone has done a great job sticking to topic of the thread and message on the billboard.

Lets remain on topic.

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/"]Coastal [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/western-north-carolina/"]Western [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/"]Charlotte [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-lancaster-counties/"]York & Lancaster[/URL]

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"]Terms of Service. No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks[/URL]

Old 08-15-2012, 04:25 PM

3,914 posts, read 3,941,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Islam believes a small amount of this. Islam does not teach that Jesus Christ is divine and the actual Son of God. Islam does not teach that Jesus Christ atoned for the sins of mankind. Islam does not teach that Jesus Christ rose from the dead. Islam does not teach that Jesus Christ is the way, the truth and the life, and the only means by which we can be saved. Muslims hold Jesus Christ in high regard as a prophet of God, but that is all. Furthermore, Muslims don't claim to be Christians.

You lost me on that.
You are incorrect on this. It does teach that Jesus is divine, and conceived by virginal conception. He was ascended to Heaven (this is where they differ with Christians as they don't believe he was crucified) and they believe he will return to Earth on the day of Judgement.

Christians do not believe in God's dealings with Muhammad after these events and which superseed the events of the New Testimate, and they certainly don't believe in Joseph Smiths messages from God in the 1820s.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:36 PM

3,774 posts, read 6,989,864 times
can we take this to the religion forum? this clearly is not the least bit related to local issues. See the last umpteen posts for examples, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte