U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 11:06 AM

140 posts, read 201,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
An atheist can put up a billboard with ugliness and it is "ok", afterall it is their right to their beliefs. A Christian puts up a billboard, denounces the homosexual lifestyle, stands firm in their beliefs and it is "hate".
Because it is, but it wouldn't be illegal for you to do it. The violation of free speech isn't the reaction to this hypothetical billboard. The violation of free speech is when said Christian starts freaking out that everyone else doesn't quietly accept his message.

It's kind of similar to how a certain population boycotted JC Penneys when they hired Ellen as their spokesperson, then staged a massive eat-in because it was so offensive for gay people to boycott a certain chicken restaurant.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:14 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,669,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
Sorry but I disagree with promotion by posting hate messages, ala political campaign...

I would have nothing agains a billboard self-promoting the atheist group or any other religion.
But attacking a religion on a public board is wrong and you should know that.

If you still don't agree, try to post a billboard with a hate message against: muslims, jews, hindu, buddhists, etc and see what reaction you'll get.
But we non-believers have to hear this kind of hate everyday so what is the difference?
I think they could have done it in a better way than the billboard, but it is still true that the hate flows from the other direction on a daily basis.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:19 AM

2,090 posts, read 3,573,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
This was already done just South of here in SC. Several of these were placed on the interstate.
big difference there is no direct message calling someone's god names, and saying it promotes hate, etc.

Not sure if you are aware of what happen around the world when the Danish newspaper had a couple of cartoons making fun of muslims:

Jyllands-Posten Muhammad cartoons controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, you might remember the international backlash produced by the Koran burning Florida pastor.

All the public hate actions are wrong, all people deserve to be respected in a democracy, not being mocked and ridiculed in public because of their religious belief - as long as their religious belief and actions is no danger to the public.

Last edited by 28173; 08-14-2012 at 11:31 AM..

Old 08-14-2012, 11:22 AM

5,150 posts, read 6,646,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Type O Negative View Post
Many do not agree with me, but I think this is good.
There has to be a balance and we can certainly see many billboards or other types of signs with other religious messages.

People need to accept (this is not intended for the OP, but a comment to all) that all are not Christians and also have a need to be recognized and not just be accepted as long as they do not voice their opinions and beliefs.
Need to be recognized? That's an interesting concept. Maybe for tax purposes.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
What Constitutional right do you think these signs might violate?
The Constitution wasn't invoked. There are other rights besides the Big C.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type O Negative View Post
But we non-believers have to hear this kind of hate everyday so what is the difference?
I think they could have done it in a better way than the billboard, but it is still true that the hate flows from the other direction on a daily basis.
What hate?
I hope you don't generalize the opinion of very few individuals as applicable to everybody?

Sure there are few deranged individuals in all groups of society and as you know I'm sure, the majority of people (me included) don't support any promotion of hate towards any specific group of people.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bindibadji View Post
I am not a religious person, but I respect all religions and the histories associated with them. Why should anyone care if they are not threatened? To display hatred for the beliefs of others whether Christian, Muslim, or Athiest is ignorant. Granted, there are extremists, but they are certainly the minority and normally not a threat. Maybe these intollerant morons need a religion themselves so that they can chill and spend their time in a more productive manner (other than City Data).
I think for those that are as extreme as the billboard posters, atheism is their religion.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:30 AM

11,723 posts, read 9,356,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
Can you please elaborate a bit on this?
Sorry but I don't get your point.
If Christians ran out in the street screaming die infadels every time someone made a joke about Jesus you wouldn't see Christianity "attacked" as much IMO.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:30 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,631,012 times
If you're gonna pony up the cash for some silly billboards, at least spend a little on a professional graphic design job.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
If Christians ran out in the street screaming die infadels every time someone made a joke about Jesus you wouldn't see Christianity "attacked" as much IMO.
Are you suggesting that they should do that to get respect in a modern society?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte