U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 03:14 PM
NDL

3,189 posts, read 3,652,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theory87 View Post
Because it is, but it wouldn't be illegal for you to do it. The violation of free speech isn't the reaction to this hypothetical billboard. The violation of free speech is when said Christian starts freaking out that everyone else doesn't quietly accept his message.
It's a violation of free speech when someone "freaks out" in response to a message?

Can you elaborate on this, because I am confused.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:17 PM
NDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
That was a great speech. I agree with him too. That's why I think the billboard is too much. I'm all for anyone putting up a billboard for any cause, but there's no reason to promote a hateful message.
I thank you for the respectful stance you have taken towards people of faith .

Old 08-14-2012, 03:22 PM
NDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
30,000 views of the truth is a conservative estimate.
Perhaps I am misunderstanding you, but are you suggesting that there are 30,000 Christian denominations?

Quote:
One of the few actual facts of religion is that they are all based on individual interpretation
It's a *fact* that faith is based upon individual interpretation?

Is this to suggest that organized religion is absent of any dogma?

Taken to it's logical conclusion, I respectfully say that the above logic leads me to believe that faith is relative, and it contains no absolutes.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:17 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,639,913 times
Quote:

Being PC isn't necessary. We need less PC, as far as I'm concerned.
Agreed, but in this case a pro-atheism billboard in Jebus country is way more effective if it's subtly funny and less overtly confrontational. The response is going to be the same regardless of tone- the trick is to optimize the gulf between the two in order to highlight the inherent ridiculousness of the god botherers. If more people read their Samuel Clemens, they'd know this.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:21 PM

2,603 posts, read 4,283,444 times
Religion is a racket. But I think this group of atheists makes themselves look silly with these billboards. That said, if they can pay for it and the billboard owners want to let them pay for it, I see no difference than any other religious billboard.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:54 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,075,938 times
I wouldn't go so far as to call myself an Athiest, but those billboards are pretty spot on.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:56 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,075,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
Religion is a racket. But I think this group of atheists makes themselves look silly with these billboards. That said, if they can pay for it and the billboard owners want to let them pay for it, I see no difference than any other religious billboard.

Organized religions are nothing more than cults that managed to be quite successful. You can see it in action right now with Scientology. People rightly denounce it as a cult, but in a hundred years, it would likely be different.

Old 08-14-2012, 05:18 PM

368 posts, read 814,127 times
Believers are going to be offended about anything that points out the inherent silliness of their beliefs.

Arguing with them about it will accomplish precisely nothing, aside from reinforcing their beliefs.

Old 08-14-2012, 05:46 PM

5,150 posts, read 6,662,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBSLM View Post
Believers are going to be offended about anything that points out the inherent silliness of their beliefs.

Arguing with them about it will accomplish precisely nothing, aside from reinforcing their beliefs.
That is a massive generalization. I would not be offended by having a rational, logical conversation with

Your logic fails because it is too broad and borderline stereotype.

All that said, why put up the billboards?

Old 08-14-2012, 05:54 PM

3,914 posts, read 3,959,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
All that said, why put up the billboards?
The people who paid $15,000 to put them up said this was the reason(s)
  • "... to ridicule the silliness of religion"
  • "... what we're doing here is raising the awareness of the silly parts of these religions. So that people can ask themselves 'do we want this type of person in the White House."
  • "... their message is to separate religion from politics, and to make people to think twice about who they'll vote for in this upcoming November election."
From the news article linked in the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte