Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 09:37 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,227,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I am sure you are right, but it is divisive and seems to me the last thing we need in this country is yet more division into special interest groups.

Perhaps we haven't evolved enough as a species to put our egos aside and concentrate on taking action that benefits all human beings, instead of throwing bricks at one another.
Partisan politics, which recently seem to have crippled progress more than ever before. My god is better than your god. Everyone is fine unless they're gay, black, atheist, insert group here. I want what you have. The haves and have nots. Until we get past all of that we'll never be one people.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:39 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,021,268 times
Quote:
There has been bullying behavior going on from all sides of the political spectrum, and it started long b/f this election.

If those folks who put up that billboard were something other than bullies, and truly felt a burning desire to share a conviction, they would have put MUHAMMAD's name up there by JESUS' name. But they knew the Muslim community would have kicked their smug butts from here to Mecca had they done that. They are like the little kid who shoots spitwads when the teacher turns her back, and then sticks his head in his book in faux studiousness.
I don't think I would call them bullies. Silly and iconoclastic certainly, but not bullies.

Muslims are not a large enough demographic or political bloc in the United States, even less so in North Carolina. The only place in the US where they hold any legitimate local political power is Dearborn, Mich. It would be silly for an atheist to point out the ridiculousness of Islam on a North Carolina billboard because all the evangelicals would just nod their heads in agreement and mutter something about Arabs and how Obama is a secret Muslim.

The billboards are only thought-provoking inasmuch as they skewer the ridiculous basis of the ideas we've allowed to hold sway in our political system. Talking about Islam would just be bluster.

Quote:
Yep, that is bullying at its finest. They know they have not violated the letter of the law, so they took the path of least likely retribution and targeted Christians.
I agree it's silly and childish, but let's not play into the whole Christian persecution complex here. Of course there will be blowback from Christians. Let's not pretend that "Christian" groups haven't done their fair share of bullying in recent years.

Quote:
I stlil have these moments when I think the whole world is filled with people who embrace what John conveyed in those words (re: not allowing our personal spiritual beliefs - or lack of them - divide us). Human rights are human rights. Love is love. Embrace and respect the differences.
Say what? Lennon's song was wholly anti-religious, anti-capitalist, and anti-nationalist. I feel certain his sympathies would lie more with the folks promoting atheism than any organized religionists.

His peace is predicated on people giving up their god, their country, their possessions so that there would be nothing to "live and die for." He's saying "look what all this religion, nationalism, and greed has gotten us. Nothing but war and death. Let go of all that crap and things will be peaceful."

Quote:
How much more effective it would have been if the atheists had put up a billboard that simply stated: Imagine. Living life in Peace. Charlotte 2012. What a fine, thought-provoking message that would have been.
Except that it's a pap slogan devoid of context. Like a pageant queen's speech.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:27 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,394,499 times
This is a lot less crude than the barrage of Christian priest in The Charlotte area alone pronouncing that homosexuals should be rounded up and put in a fence, etc.

This is a lot less offensive then "God hates ****" sign at the funeral of a marine...

It's not that offensive, really... And I'm a believer....

Maybe I'm just so used to hearing crude, degrading, humiliating remarks about my sexuality that I ignore comments like these...

It hurts seeing a political party you support call your lifestyle an abomination.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:34 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,974,276 times
Did anyone read the OP?

They didn't just target Christians. They also targeted Mormons. This is because Obama is Christian and Romney is Mormon. I don't think I've ever met a Christian who considered Mormonism, Christian and Mormonism is not common in NC. So all these arguments that Christians alone were targeted is nonsense.

Furthermore Muslims, Buddhists, Jews, Scientologists, whatever were not targeted because there is no one running for president who is claims to be a member of one of these organizations. It's not any more complicated than that and suggestions that Christians only were targeted has no basis in what the Atheists said they were doing.

I find the biggest problem with discussions of religion is that people rarely get even the basic facts straight before the gloves come off.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:59 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
This is a lot less crude than the barrage of Christian priest in The Charlotte area alone pronouncing that homosexuals should be rounded up and put in a fence, etc.

This is a lot less offensive then "God hates ****" sign at the funeral of a marine...

It's not that offensive, really... And I'm a believer....

Maybe I'm just so used to hearing crude, degrading, humiliating remarks about my sexuality that I ignore comments like these...

It hurts seeing a political party you support call your lifestyle an abomination.
The national discussion has gotten so mean spirited. Folks need to say "stop it." Both sides. It may be legal to say such things (meaning, the ugly things you cited as well as the billboards in question) - but it is not CIVIL.

It's like some people have completely lost any sense of good manners. It is not a matter of being politically correct . . . it simply doesn't move a discussion forward when we use labels and humiliation and bullying as a way of getting our message across. It demeans both the speaker and the target, IMHO.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
I don't think I would call them bullies. Silly and iconoclastic certainly, but not bullies.

Muslims are not a large enough demographic or political bloc in the United States, even less so in North Carolina. The only place in the US where they hold any legitimate local political power is Dearborn, Mich. It would be silly for an atheist to point out the ridiculousness of Islam on a North Carolina billboard because all the evangelicals would just nod their heads in agreement and mutter something about Arabs and how Obama is a secret Muslim.

The billboards are only thought-provoking inasmuch as they skewer the ridiculous basis of the ideas we've allowed to hold sway in our political system. Talking about Islam would just be bluster.

I agree it's silly and childish, but let's not play into the whole Christian persecution complex here. Of course there will be blowback from Christians. Let's not pretend that "Christian" groups haven't done their fair share of bullying in recent years.

Say what? Lennon's song was wholly anti-religious, anti-capitalist, and anti-nationalist. I feel certain his sympathies would lie more with the folks promoting atheism than any organized religionists.

His peace is predicated on people giving up their god, their country, their possessions so that there would be nothing to "live and die for." He's saying "look what all this religion, nationalism, and greed has gotten us. Nothing but war and death. Let go of all that crap and things will be peaceful."

Except that it's a pap slogan devoid of context. Like a pageant queen's speech.
LOL. Love the way your mind works, COPED!

I basically agree with everything you have said. However, I do maintain that this is a form of bullying. All such messages are a form of bullying, IMHO, no matter the subject.

The way I have always interpreted Lennon's song is perhaps not mainstream. Well, I know it isn't as I had many a debate about it with my peers back when the song was first released.

Lennon was not anti-spiritual; he was anti-religiosity. His song says - let's not let anything divide us from the one thing that we all should strive to achieve - PEACE. I never read it as literally "give up" country, possessions and religion. I know many others have, of course. My interpretation has always been - don't let these differences (where we live, what we own, what we individually believe) divide us; don't let these things put up roadblocks. I see it as (oversimplifying here!) the Buddhist overcoming ("giving up" - if you want to stick to that term) ego/desire towards understanding the Four Nobel Truths.

And yes, I can see why you would say that such a billboard as I described would be devoid of context. To me, that makes it thought provoking -- and like art, you bring your own interpretation to it. But I can totally understand why it could be perceived as being shallow puffery.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:41 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,347,323 times
Quote:
However, I do maintain that this is a form of bullying. All such messages are a form of bullying, IMHO, no matter the subject.
How so? Let's look at the OP again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
The glowing man represents the visitation from a "light being" named Moroni that young Joseph Smith allegedly had. Jesus on toast is something some Christians have actually claimed to have seen. Though the message was a bit harsh, no actual person or group was "bullied" here.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:42 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,898,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
These attacks are simply infantile in nature, largely reflecting the character of those who support the attacks.

If someone doesn't agree with a belief system, that's fine.

Yet some opponents of Christianity take things to such a personal level, as if to ridicule, malign, and belittle those with whom they disagree.

So childish...
They are bitter because they are going to hell. Just kidding. I don't even know if there is such a place. I hope there is because I would definately be going there. I wonder about the virgins. I wonder if I would have to blow myself and others up to have access to them. Would I have to be Muslim to get my share? I could convert.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
How so? Let's look at the OP again.

The glowing man represents the visitation from a "light being" named Moroni that young Joseph Smith allegedly had. Jesus on toast is something some Christians have actually claimed to see. Though the message was a bit harsh, no actual person or group was "bullied" here.
They got around the letter of the law b/c they did not address a specific person.

But they clearly address Christians as well as Mormons (who are also Christians, btw, lol) and they call Jesus a "useless savior." They call God sadistic and a space alien, clearly an attempt at mockery of a group's beliefs.

It was designed to get a response from Christians and Mormons, yet there is no way to respond -- unless you buy a billboard next to it. When a person or group has no way to defend themselves from such an attack, then it is bullying.

If you took those same things and reworded them a bit and put them up about a specific person, I think it would be considered bullying. Maybe I am wrong, but I think most people would feel very bullied if they were the target.

Regardless, it ain't playin' nice and sure does nothing to promote tolerance and good will.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:16 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,650,100 times
Quote:
They got around the letter of the law b/c they did not address a specific person.

But they clearly address Christians as well as Mormons (who are also Christians, btw, lol) and they call Jesus a "useless savior." They call God sadistic and a space alien, clearly an attempt at mockery of a group's beliefs.

It was designed to get a response from Christians and Mormons, yet there is no way to respond -- unless you buy a billboard next to it. When a person or group has no way to defend themselves from such an attack, then it is bullying.

If you took those same things and reworded them a bit and put them up about a specific person, I think it would be considered bullying. Maybe I am wrong, but I think most people would feel very bullied if they were the target.

Regardless, it ain't playin' nice and sure does nothing to promote tolerance and good will.
Mormon's are Christians? I guess Scientology is a form of Christianity as well.

I guess those Cows are bullying Chickens in the CFA ads...

I don't think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte