U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 12:24 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,141,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Mormon's are Christians? I guess Scientology is a form of Christianity as well.

I guess those Cows are bullying Chickens in the CFA ads...

I don't think so.
LOL.

Hey, just going by what I was taught and what my friends who are members of the LDS church have told me. They say they are Christians. The definition of a Christian is anyone who accepts Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior, isn't it? And they do.

I know nothing about Scientology other than L. Ron Hubbard founding it and they do "audits" . . .

Old 08-15-2012, 12:38 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,564,282 times
That billboard isn't cute funny or clever, it was done in poor taste.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:43 PM

6,272 posts, read 10,020,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
But they clearly address Christians as well as Mormons (who are also Christians, btw, lol) and they call Jesus a "useless savior." They call God sadistic and a space alien, clearly an attempt at mockery of a group's beliefs.
They called God names based on many of the things God did in the old testament of the Bible (see my post a few pages back with Obama speaking on some of those things in the bible's OT). As for calling God a space alien, that actually is THE core belief within Christianity. In Christianity, God (a non-Earth born being) is believed to be the savior and creator of everything. Before there was Earth, there was God. If you're not from Earth (you can't be if you created it) that makes you an ET (cruel way to put it, but it's true). This is why SEVERAL Christians today look up to pray; many of them doing so without fully knowing why and how that tradition started.

Some might doubt what I am saying, but the capital of the Christian world (The Vatican) makes their stance on the topic of God and ET quite clear.

The Vatican's chief astronomer says there is no conflict between believing in God and in the possibility of extraterrestrial "brothers" perhaps more evolved than humans...
In the interview headlined, "The extraterrestrial is my brother," he said he saw no conflict between belief in such beings and faith in God...
Vatican astronomer cites possibility of extraterrestrial 'brothers'

Extraterrestrials may have souls, and Guy Consolmagno, a planetary scientist at the Vatican observatory, says he would baptize an ET if it asked him to.
Vatican astronomer offers to baptize ET | Openminds.tv

The only thing these Atheists are guilty of is keeping up with the past and current events of Christian-theism while tossing these events on a billboard. Like it or not (offended or not) there is an element of truth in everything stated on those billboards. Folks who have not done their homework on their own faith are the ones most likely to get offended. However, the ET connection as well as the "useless savior" has been in the news. Just know that these are stories your pastor will never mention on Sunday morning...

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 08-15-2012 at 12:53 PM..

Old 08-15-2012, 12:51 PM

3,115 posts, read 6,148,345 times
Quote:
LOL.

Hey, just going by what I was taught and what my friends who are members of the LDS church have told me. They say they are Christians. The definition of a Christian is anyone who accepts Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior, isn't it? And they do.

I know nothing about Scientology other than L. Ron Hubbard founding it and they do "audits" . . .
It's my understanding that the LDS church teaches salvation through both faith and works, which to me immediately makes Mormons not Christian. The bible teaches over and over that it is by grace we are saved, through faith. Jesus's sacrifice was selfless and not a call to action. There are many other things the LDS church believes that don't jive with my beliefs - Jesus was born after God had sex with Mary, God has other children, he was mortal, etc.

Please dont misunderstand this as an attack on Mormons or any other non-christian religion. There are many wonderful, caring people in the LDS community, but I don't consider them Christians any more than I would consider a Muslim to be a Christian. That doesn't make them less, or their religion unimportant. Hope that makes sense.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
It's my understanding that the LDS church teaches salvation through both faith and works, which to me immediately makes Mormons not Christian. The bible teaches over and over that it is by grace we are saved, through faith. Jesus's sacrifice was selfless and not a call to action. There are many other things the LDS church believes that don't jive with my beliefs - Jesus was born after God had sex with Mary, God has other children, he was mortal, etc.

Please dont misunderstand this as an attack on Mormons or any other non-christian religion. There are many wonderful, caring people in the LDS community, but I don't consider them Christians any more than I would consider a Muslim to be a Christian. That doesn't make them less, or their religion unimportant. Hope that makes sense.
Absolutely, your post in no way is an attack.

I have never heard these things about LDS faith. It is very interesting, tho.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:02 PM

6,272 posts, read 10,020,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
God has other children
According to the Christian bible, this is true.

And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them, That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose. And the Lord said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.
Genesis 6:1-3

In church, you are most likely taught about the so-called "fallen angels". This OT verse is where that idea came from. Christianity used the term "fallen angels" in an attempt to "explain away" this bible verse while teaching those of the faith that Jesus was "God's only son". Like Obama said in that video, folks haven't been reading their bibles.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
They called God names based on many of the things God did in the old testament of the Bible (see my post a few pages back with Obama speaking on some of those things in the bible's OT). As for calling God a space alien, that actually is THE core belief within Christianity. In Christianity, God (a non-Earth born being) is believed to be the savior and creator of everything. Before there was Earth, there was God. If you're not from Earth (you can't be if you created it) that makes you an ET (cruel way to put it, but it's true). This is why SEVERAL Christians today look up to pray; many of them doing so without fully knowing why and how that tradition started.

Some might doubt what I am saying, but the capital of the Christian world (The Vatican) makes their stance on the topic of God and ET quite clear.

The Vatican's chief astronomer says there is no conflict between believing in God and in the possibility of extraterrestrial "brothers" perhaps more evolved than humans...
In the interview headlined, "The extraterrestrial is my brother," he said he saw no conflict between belief in such beings and faith in God...
Vatican astronomer cites possibility of extraterrestrial 'brothers'

Extraterrestrials may have souls, and Guy Consolmagno, a planetary scientist at the Vatican observatory, says he would baptize an ET if it asked him to.
Vatican astronomer offers to baptize ET | Openminds.tv

The only thing these Atheists are guilty of is keeping up with the past and current events of Christian-theism while tossing these events on a billboard. Like it or not (offended or not) there is an element of truth in everything stated on those billboards. Folks who have not done their homework on their own faith are the ones most likely to get offended. However, the ET connection as well as the "useless savior" has been in the news. Just know that these are stories your pastor will never mention on Sunday morning...
Interesting take on things.

Yes, I knew about the Vatican's chief astronomer's statements and found them very interesting, as well.

I do not interpret things the way you do but I surely respect your right to have those beliefs. I do not subscribe to the "element of truth" interpretation somehow making those billboards less ugly.

I respect everyone's beliefs . . . but don't feel the need to evangelize to anyone about my beliefs. I find it interesting that no one has even commented on the evangelistic nature of those billboards, lol.

My personal spiritual beliefs do not come under the heading of any one belief system, so even tho I feel the billboards are mean spirited, mocking and bullyish (and political, directed against Romney- a Mormon and Ryan - a Christian) I am not offended b/c they are of a religious nature. My sensibilties are offended, b/c they are tasteless public displays aimed at mocking others, and two political candidates, specifically.

I do feel saddened that the world has come to this point - when it is hip to slam each other with words on billboards instead of joining together to work towards real solutions to the problems that face human beings on this planet.

We're all in this together, regardless of ideologies that may separate us, and none of us are getting out of here alive . . . we should try to work together to make life better for everyone.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:28 PM

3,914 posts, read 3,954,000 times
Quote:
Some might doubt what I am saying, but the capital of the Christian world (The Vatican) makes their stance on the topic of God and ET quite clear..
Right off you got this wrong. It's the capital of the Western (Roman) Catholic Church. The Eastern (Orthodox) Catholic Church does not consider The Vatican to be it's capital. Furthermore I've yet to meet a Protestant who would consider The Vatican to the the authority on anything. At best they consider it to be cult like.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
According to the Christian bible, this is true.

And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them, That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose. And the Lord said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.
Genesis 6:1-3

In church, you are most likely taught about the so-called "fallen angels". This OT verse is where that idea came from. Christianity used the term "fallen angels" in an attempt to "explain away" this bible verse while teaching those of the faith that Jesus was "God's only son". Like Obama said in that video, folks haven't been reading their bibles.
I dont mean to offend you or anyone else, Urban, but not everyone interprets that the same way . . . and Obama is not a theologian.

I had never seen the clip that was posted, but after seeing it, it suddenly hit me why people had been saying to me that they had proof that Obama is the anti-Christ and everyone kept telling me I must be living in another century cause the definitive video proving he is the anti-Christ has been online for years and there for anyone to view, lol

Now, understand, I do not believe there is or will be an anti-Christ, so this is of no import to me. I am not into apocalyptic beliefs in any way, shape or form - and I do not interpret Revelations the way so many churches do . . . so what I am relaying is not meant to offend anyone or suggest that I believe Obama is the anti-Christ. Just saying that -- knowing what others believe the anti-Christ is all about - I see now why people heard what he had to say and interpreted it to be indicative of his being the Anti-Christ.

People seize on all types of things to explain or bolster their belief systems, whatever they may be.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:07 PM

11,723 posts, read 9,372,317 times
Quote:
I dont mean to offend you or anyone else, Urban, but not everyone interprets that the same way . . . and Obama is not a theologian.

I had never seen the clip that was posted, but after seeing it, it suddenly hit me why people had been saying to me that they had proof that Obama is the anti-Christ and everyone kept telling me I must be living in another century cause the definitive video proving he is the anti-Christ has been online for years and there for anyone to view, lol

Now, understand, I do not believe there is or will be an anti-Christ, so this is of no import to me. I am not into apocalyptic beliefs in any way, shape or form - and I do not interpret Revelations the way so many churches do . . . so what I am relaying is not meant to offend anyone or suggest that I believe Obama is the anti-Christ. Just saying that -- knowing what others believe the anti-Christ is all about - I see now why people heard what he had to say and interpreted it to be indicative of his being the Anti-Christ.

People seize on all types of things to explain or bolster their belief systems, whatever they may be.
Obama could save a tea party members life and they would call him the Devil to his face the moment they woke up.

Last edited by Feltdesigner; 08-15-2012 at 02:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte