Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 05:56 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,192,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
All that said, why put up the billboards?
To rustle some jimmies, of course.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:20 PM

368 posts, read 945,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
That is a massive generalization. I would not be offended by having a rational, logical conversation with

Your logic fails because it is too broad and borderline stereotype.

All that said, why put up the billboards?
If people were logical there would be no organized religion.

Your argument is invalid.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:27 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,759,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBSLM View Post
If people were logical there would be no organized religion.

Your argument is invalid.
That's weak but I can't argue it on this thread and never liked the smell of the religion forums .

Old 08-14-2012, 06:54 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
There has been bullying behavior going on from all sides of the political spectrum, and it started long b/f this election.

If those folks who put up that billboard were something other than bullies, and truly felt a burning desire to share a conviction, they would have put MUHAMMAD's name up there by JESUS' name. But they knew the Muslim community would have kicked their smug butts from here to Mecca had they done that. They are like the little kid who shoots spitwads when the teacher turns her back, and then sticks his head in his book in faux studiousness.

Yep, that is bullying at its finest. They know they have not violated the letter of the law, so they took the path of least likely retribution and targeted Christians.

I broke into tears watching the closing of the Olympics, when John Lennon's image appeared and everyone sang "Imagine."

I stlil have these moments when I think the whole world is filled with people who embrace what John conveyed in those words (re: not allowing our personal spiritual beliefs - or lack of them - divide us). Human rights are human rights. Love is love. Embrace and respect the differences.

How much more effective it would have been if the atheists had put up a billboard that simply stated: Imagine. Living life in Peace. Charlotte 2012. What a fine, thought-provoking message that would have been.

Last edited by brokensky; 08-14-2012 at 07:50 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 08-14-2012, 08:37 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Perhaps I am misunderstanding you, but are you suggesting that there are 30,000 Christian denominations?

It's a *fact* that faith is based upon individual interpretation?

Is this to suggest that organized religion is absent of any dogma?

Taken to it's logical conclusion, I respectfully say that the above logic leads me to believe that faith is relative, and it contains no absolutes.
No. The billboard said 30,000 truths, which I'm saying means that religions and holy books are used by people for vastly different purposes, and all of them say their view is accurate. I can pick out bits and pieces of scripture to support completely opposite viewpoints. It almost seems as if the bible was written to be intentionally ambiguous.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:00 PM
NDL

4,516 posts, read 5,642,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
No. The billboard said 30,000 truths, which I'm saying means that religions and holy books are used by people for vastly different purposes, and all of them say their view is accurate. I can pick out bits and pieces of scripture to support completely opposite viewpoints. It almost seems as if the bible was written to be intentionally ambiguous.
Thanks for clarifying that .

You're right; you (or anyone else) can pick out bits and pieces of scripture to support opposite viewpoints. That's what happens when people quote verses, without giving context to what he or she is reading. In so doing, the Bible is no different than any other piece of literature (for want of a better word).

In my experience, I've found that the reason there are so many opinions about what Scripture truly says, is simply because of a lack of obedience toward God - thus the manipulation of the verse to support whatever argument/desire the manipulator wants.

On the whole I agree with Ani; there's an awful lot of bullying on both sides. It's a shame that people on both sides can't be more respectful of, and towards, one another.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:06 PM

30000 Truths might mean denominations. I Googled the phrase and came up with some interesting articles. Some with very bad logic.

I say we all get together underneath the billboards with some Chick-Fil-A

Old 08-14-2012, 09:21 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
There has been bullying behavior going on from all sides of the political spectrum, and it started long b/f this election.

If those folks who put up that billboard were something other than bullies, and truly felt a burning desire to share a conviction, they would have put MUHAMMAD's name up there by JESUS' name. But they knew the Muslim community would have kicked their smug butts from here to Mecca had they done that. They are like the little kid who shoots spitwads when the teacher turns her back, and then sticks his head in his book in faux studiousness.

Yep, that is bullying at its finest. They know they have not violated the letter of the law, so they took the path of least likely retribution and targeted Christians.

I broke into tears watching the closing of the Olympics, when John Lennon's image appeared and everyone sang "Imagine."

I stlil have these moments when I think the whole world is filled with people who embrace what John conveyed in those words (re: not allowing our personal spiritual beliefs - or lack of them - divide us). Human rights are human rights. Love is love. Embrace and respect the differences.

How much more effective it would have been if the atheists had put up a billboard that simply stated: Imagine. Living life in Peace. Charlotte 2012. What a fine, thought-provoking message that would have been.
Seems to me like they focused on the most prevalent religion in this region at a time when their message will get the most exposure, not only to locals but to people traveling here from all over for the DNC.

As for your suggestion of what their message could have been, that's not their message. Just like religions, atheists have an agenda, and they took the opportunity to promote it. Bullying would be to force a lesser capable peer into a certain action or belief. I don't see how that is happening here.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:27 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Seems to me like they focused on the most prevalent religion in this region at a time when their message will get the most exposure, not only to locals but to people traveling here from all over for the DNC.

As for your suggestion of what their message could have been, that's not their message. Just like religions, atheists have an agenda, and they took the opportunity to promote it. Bullying would be to force a lesser capable peer into a certain action or belief. I don't see how that is happening here.
I am sure you are right, but it is divisive and seems to me the last thing we need in this country is yet more division into special interest groups.

Perhaps we haven't evolved enough as a species to put our egos aside and concentrate on taking action that benefits all human beings, instead of throwing bricks at one another.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:31 PM

Quote:

Turning the other cheek is all about allowing yourself to be bullied regardless of your actual power.

The billboards are anti Republican. No way would they have spent money to put up a Mormon board if Romney wasn't running.

They could have done much better getting people to think if they would open up a soup kitchen during the DNC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte