U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 10:17 AM

3,914 posts, read 3,959,676 times

Advertisements

Apparently an organization of Atheists has put up some billboards in town to protest the political parties. Charlotte has them, but no billboard company in Tampa would put them up. Charlotte has both the Morman and Christian varieties. It's probably one of the more controversial billboards that I think has been put up in Charlotte. I have not seen them but the report says they are at the airport and downtown.

WSOC has a story about it, but it's in the national news as well.

Controversial atheist billboards up in Charlotte | www.wsoctv.com

This is what is on them though only one religion at a time. Pick your favorite!

Old 08-14-2012, 10:30 AM

3,115 posts, read 6,156,220 times
I disagree with a lot of things "christians" say and do, but that billboard is over the top. Extremism is no way to win followers to any organization. There are good, loving believers in every religion, and although the bad ones sometimes sour the bunch, there is no point to fighting hate with hate.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:35 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,675,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Apparently an organization of Atheists has put up some billboards in town to protest the political parties. Charlotte has them, but no billboard company in Tampa would put them up. Charlotte has both the Morman and Christian varieties. It's probably one of the more controversial billboards that I think has been put up in Charlotte. I have not seen them but the report says they are at the airport and downtown.

WSOC has a story about it, but it's in the national news as well.

Controversial atheist billboards up in Charlotte | www.wsoctv.com

This is what is on them though only one religion at a time. Pick your favorite!
Many do not agree with me, but I think this is good.
There has to be a balance and we can certainly see many billboards or other types of signs with other religious messages.

People need to accept (this is not intended for the OP, but a comment to all) that all are not Christians and also have a need to be recognized and not just be accepted as long as they do not voice their opinions and beliefs.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:38 AM

2,109 posts, read 3,590,741 times
I could've gone about my day without knowing about it...and I would've been happy...now I'm disgusted and shaken...

Why is it politically correct and accepted to publicly attack and ridicule the "majority" and we all have to just take it?

If the boards would've picked on any other religion in this country, the guy would've been rightfully called up as instigator and probably arrested, the boards would've been taken down immediately.

Does the majority not have same rights as the minority, although we all pay taxes?

Old 08-14-2012, 10:48 AM

3,914 posts, read 3,959,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
Does the majority not have same rights as the minority, although we all pay taxes?
What Constitutional right do you think these signs might violate?

Old 08-14-2012, 10:51 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,730,633 times
I am not a religious person, but I respect all religions and the histories associated with them. Why should anyone care if they are not threatened? To display hatred for the beliefs of others whether Christian, Muslim, or Athiest is ignorant. Granted, there are extremists, but they are certainly the minority and normally not a threat. Maybe these intollerant morons need a religion themselves so that they can chill and spend their time in a more productive manner (other than City Data).
To be honest, I believe that when anyone has to go to such extremes as posting anti-religion signs, they do so to hide a complex or perhaps to disillusion him/herself into believing that they are actually someone with a meaningful purpose in life.

I believe that the sign should be allowed since this illustrates a group expressing their freedom for which they don't think Christians should have. It is really sort of funny, yet sad.

Last edited by vindaloo; 08-14-2012 at 11:24 AM..

Old 08-14-2012, 10:52 AM
NDL

3,191 posts, read 3,653,674 times
These attacks are simply infantile in nature, largely reflecting the character of those who support the attacks.

If someone doesn't agree with a belief system, that's fine.

Yet some opponents of Christianity take things to such a personal level, as if to ridicule, malign, and belittle those with whom they disagree.

So childish...

Old 08-14-2012, 10:53 AM

8,231 posts, read 11,616,305 times
An atheist can put up a billboard with ugliness and it is "ok", afterall it is their right to their beliefs. A Christian puts up a billboard, denounces the homosexual lifestyle, stands firm in their beliefs and it is "hate".

Oh well, slander me all you want, accuse me of all the hate in the world sobeit....what I do know and what I am not confused about is GOD's word and what it says and admonishes. Whether non-believers or the half-believers fail to realize is that every single one of us has to stand before GOD and answer for all that we have done. I would caution one to tread very lightly.

I am thankful that I am a Christian!

Old 08-14-2012, 10:54 AM

2,109 posts, read 3,590,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Type O Negative View Post
Many do not agree with me, but I think this is good.
There has to be a balance and we can certainly see many billboards or other types of signs with other religious messages.

People need to accept (this is not intended for the OP, but a comment to all) that all are not Christians and also have a need to be recognized and not just be accepted as long as they do not voice their opinions and beliefs.
Sorry but I disagree with promotion by posting hate messages, ala political campaign...

I would have nothing agains a billboard self-promoting the atheist group or any other religion.
But attacking a religion on a public board is wrong and you should know that.

If you still don't agree, try to post a billboard with a hate message against: muslims, jews, hindu, buddhists, etc and see what reaction you'll get.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:56 AM

3,356 posts, read 8,885,378 times
Freedom of speech I guess, personally I do not care.

My only thought is their "message" may have been better received if not attacking a specific religion.

Though a minster in the UK years ago purchased a 2nd hand car, that had this bumber sticker on it.

He left it on the car as it was a good talking point.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte