Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 11:39 AM

523 posts, read 2,905,727 times

Advertisements

I have read a lot of threads on this site where there are major complaints about homebuilders. Buying a new home vs. resale seems so stressful and it seems like so many problems can result. I personally have only bought resales in my life but I am considering buying a new house when I move to Charlotte. Besides the ability to choose custom options and live in something no one else has lived in before, what are the benefits of buying a new house? Do new homes generally appreciate more over time than homes that were built just a few years earlier?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2007, 11:57 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,835,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anu2 View Post
I have read a lot of threads on this site where there are major complaints about homebuilders. Buying a new home vs. resale seems so stressful and it seems like so many problems can result. I personally have only bought resales in my life but I am considering buying a new house when I move to Charlotte. Besides the ability to choose custom options and live in something no one else has lived in before, what are the benefits of buying a new house? Do new homes generally appreciate more over time than homes that were built just a few years earlier?

There are many pros and cons. from having a mature neighborhood to knowing what kind of neighbors are moving in. On the other hand there maybe major updates to bring it current to the latest designs.

Look at both sides and gather as much info as you can. The final decsion is yours afterall

Old 05-01-2007, 11:57 AM

348 posts, read 430,301 times
Well, geez, I guess its really what you want out of a house. I've lived in brand new and in resales. New is great because you get the open living spaces people seem to want now, big closets, neighborhood amenities like pools, and of course no one has lived there before. I'm partial to resales, and I just bought another one (built in 1986).

Here's why: New homes come on ridiculously small lots with no mature landscaping or trees for the most part. My resale is on 3 acres with majestic landscaping. Most new homes are built too close together in my opinion, and my resale is real roomy between homes. I prefer the feeling of an established neighborhood where you already know and can SEE exactly how everything is laid out--no mysteries or suprises. I don't want the cookie cutter look. Also, typically lower taxes on an older home. You can typically find these older homes at a cheaper price than most new builds in the area, and the difference gives you plenty of money to make the home what you want it to be.

There's good and bad to each side of the equation, you've got to figure out which makes more sense to you and what appeals to your needs.

L

Old 05-01-2007, 11:59 AM

536 posts, read 1,693,625 times
Default preference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anu2 View Post
Every re-sale was once a NEW home! A new home usually has some warranties, whereas a re-sale has none from the previous owner. But if you think you are moving into a new home, and "everything" is done, IMO that is wrong! I had to re-do grass, add plants, paint, put in fence, etc... $$$$ dollars later. So on the other hand a re-sale is nice because all of this is done, to some degree!

What I like about a new home, is that new home SMELL! (like a new Car smell!) LOL

Old 05-01-2007, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith "Baby-Face" Lutz View Post
Every re-sale was once a NEW home! A new home usually has some warranties, whereas a re-sale has none from the previous owner. But if you think you are moving into a new home, and "everything" is done, IMO that is wrong! I had to re-do grass, add plants, paint, put in fence, etc... $$$$ dollars later. So on the other hand a re-sale is nice because all of this is done, to some degree!

What I like about a new home, is that new home SMELL! (like a new Car smell!) LOL
You can always add to the offer for the seller to give a one year warranty which the new buyer can then renew at the end of the term.

Yes I like the new leather smell myself!

Old 05-01-2007, 12:16 PM

1,304 posts, read 4,321,594 times
Default New vs. resale

Have both built a new home and bought an existing one.

With the new one, it was fun to select everything ourselves. A lot like work, but it was fun to make choices and see it come together. New houses often don't come with anything but the bare basics, so there is always some little something that you miss and need to add. And, it takes a while to work through the construction phase.

With the resale one, we were expecting a new child and wanted to make a move to larger quarters. We found an existing home that met our criteria and it made for a quick transition.

Comparing the two experiences, it was less work for us to move into the resale. We were able to negotiate extras - like blinds and curtains and upgrades the previous homeowner had added. Although some of the decorating was not something we would have picked, it sure saved us time and energy (and when you are 8-1/2 months pregnant, that sort of stuff matters...LOL). Over the years, we have slowly made changes that has made the house more our own.

One thing to consider, however, is the age on items that might need replacing - things like roofs, heat pumps, water heaters, appliances. Over the course of the last 10 years, these are all items that have required replacing. Calculate the "life" left in those items to see how soon you will need to replace them. Also, we are now finding that most of our landscaping is "too mature" and is in need of replacing. The shrubs are just getting too large and a serious pruning has caused us to lose a few.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:21 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,086,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteAgent View Post
You can always add to the offer for the seller to give a one year warranty which the new buyer can then renew at the end of the term.

Yes I like the new leather smell myself!
Yes, we purchased a resale with a 1-year warranty. Looked like a pretty standard offer since it was available on many of the resales we looked at.

SL

Old 05-01-2007, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
Yes, we purchased a resale with a 1-year warranty. Looked like a pretty standard offer since it was available on many of the resales we looked at.

SL
Yep you can get them for around $400. Most Realtors will take it from the commsion if the Seller will not pay for it.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:43 PM

536 posts, read 1,693,625 times
Default who's paying for it!

Yes those are there, but there not standard, someone is paying for them! Now I guess you could argue, that on an new home you are paying for it, but I kind of think that is standard!

I also think the home warranties from a builder are different than the warranty for $400.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:46 PM

525 posts, read 1,804,462 times
For us there were tooo many things we wanted so we went resale, we wanted a fence/shed, plus tiles, blinds molding etc. If I had went new..I'd be working on a house forever...in a resale we bought, it is less than 10 yrs old, we have a beautiful yard, shed, fence, crown molding, berber carpet (I actually do not care for), established neighborhood, etc.
It is def. personal preference!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte