U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 11:07 PM

7 posts, read 51,418 times

Advertisements

Moving to Charlotte soon! Can anyone tell me about specific areas of Charlotte? Good schools are most important to us (4 kids).
I've got NO idea about Charlotte neighbirhoods-- but keep coming up with Mint Hill in realtor.com house searches. Can anyone tell me about Mint Hill.
Any advice would be appreciated!
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2006, 11:41 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,596,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissMrs. View Post
Moving to Charlotte soon! Can anyone tell me about specific areas of Charlotte? Good schools are most important to us (4 kids).
I've got NO idea about Charlotte neighbirhoods-- but keep coming up with Mint Hill in realtor.com house searches. Can anyone tell me about Mint Hill.
Any advice would be appreciated!
Thanks!
I love Mint Hill, lived there for about 8 years. The further out away from the Charlotte city limits you go in it the better though now. Some of Charlotte's problems have begun to encroach upon its limits and I hate the see that.
Good things about Mint Hill: It is an incorporated city with its own little government (mayor and council). They have very wisely for years protected their property values by not allowing too much density to be developed. Homes have to be on lots no less than a third of an acre. They have their own police department now, a newish library, new access to interstate 485 and not a lot of transplants compared to other areas of Charlotte. The town has a rich little history and many generations of families still live in the area.
The elementary school in downtown is over 100 years old and very well regarded - Bain Elementary. The problem for some people with Mint Hill is that it is just beyond east Charlotte. Traveling from there toward uptown if you work there can be a headache as it's 3 major roads out are all still just two lane roads. I loved living there when everything I needed to do was right there. But once my kids started getting older and we put them in Catholic school the commuting out every morning was driving me crazy. We eventually moved on the other side of Independence Blvd just to make our lives easier It is definitely worth going there to take a look at the area - most homes there are very nice and better deals because Mint Hill is not considered the hot spot Matthews or north of the lake are. I would be happy to discuss more specifics if you want to pm me

Old 09-26-2006, 01:24 PM

531 posts, read 1,866,080 times
I live close to Mint Hill. It seems to me to be a very nice place to raise a family. I think you will be able to find a nice house that is not overly priced there. It was one of the towns we considered when we moved down here almost 2 years ago. When going into the town, it seems to be clean and I always feel safe going there.
I have friends that live there with children and they all speak very highly of the schools. When we visited one of the schools, the staff were very nice and took us on a tour of the facility. I hope some of this info helps.

Old 03-17-2007, 05:30 PM

72 posts, read 274,831 times
Default Mint Hill question

I know some otherwise nice suburbs of Charlotte are plagued with alot of break-ins/burglaries. Does anyone know if Mint Hill has this problem? I cannot seem to find data on it.

Thanks,

Dave

Old 03-17-2007, 05:33 PM

111 posts, read 493,604 times
sending you a PM

Old 03-17-2007, 06:03 PM

261 posts, read 590,908 times
I would like to know the answer to this question also. This is the area I am looking at the most for renting a house.

Old 03-17-2007, 06:05 PM

58 posts, read 288,081 times
I'ts not the most intuitive system, but the CMPD has a crime mapping tool here:

http://maps.cmpdweb.org/cmpdnet/map.aspx (broken link)

Old 03-17-2007, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass Exodus View Post
I know some otherwise nice suburbs of Charlotte are plagued with alot of break-ins/burglaries. Does anyone know if Mint Hill has this problem? I cannot seem to find data on it.

Thanks,

Dave
Dave, I don't have any stats but Mint Hill is generally regarded as pretty safe. They have their own police department and police chief and are able to be very visible compared to outer areas of Charlotte that are a bit harder for Char/Meck Police to get to quickly.

Old 03-17-2007, 06:23 PM

58 posts, read 288,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Dave, I don't have any stats but Mint Hill is generally regarded as pretty safe. They have their own police department and police chief and are able to be very visible compared to outer areas of Charlotte that are a bit harder for Char/Meck Police to get to quickly.
Ahh, I didn't realize that Mint Hill still had their own PD. The CMPD mapping may not include Mint Hill's crime data then.

Old 03-17-2007, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsenator View Post
Ahh, I didn't realize that Mint Hill still had their own PD. The CMPD mapping may not include Mint Hill's crime data then.
Actually the Mint Hill Police Department is relatively new - less than 10 years old Over time it was just getting harder and harder for Char/Meck to effectively cover the area. The folks there are very pleased to have their own police force now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte