U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 05:17 AM

3,914 posts, read 3,954,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
My house had fresh architectural shingles on it when I bought 12 years ago. But like everything else the previous homeowner did or had done, it's had problems due to poor quality work or simply being half-ass. I've had shingles reattached half a dozen times, including nearly a squares worth in one spot. But fortunately no water damage, so far.
That is a sure sign they used nail guns set to too high a pressure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 07:57 AM

7,041 posts, read 13,125,241 times
Also, from what I am told, this has to do with nailing them "too high" that leaves them loose & vulnerable to falling off with a strong wind. It is called not being stepped properly.
That is the situation that I have with my main roof and I am now working on getting it replaced (at the original roofer's expense).

Old 08-18-2012, 10:09 AM

820 posts, read 1,534,493 times
When you have shingles replaced, the installer always buys extra, which you pay for in the price. Make sure you have him (0r her) leave a bundle or two if you have a place (under the deck will work) so that if you have issues (limb, etc) you will have matching shingles from the same dye lot. It's no skin off the back of the installer if he leaves you a bundle of shingles - except he can return for credit any unopened and unused shingle bundle, which is more money in his pocket.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:17 PM

7,109 posts, read 9,730,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulosfm View Post
It's no skin off the back of the installer if he leaves you a bundle of shingles - except he can return for credit any unopened and unused shingle bundle, which is more money in his pocket.
Can you imagine a contractor doing weekly ! work for me not understanding this.

I paid for all the siding on a house. He installed. Another worker told me that "Fred" took the overage away, off the site. I asked Fred what happened. He said he ordered too much but I had only paid for the amount he used. Huh?? We coudn't come to an agreement on the math.

Guess what? No more work for you Freddie baby.

Old 08-18-2012, 03:01 PM

7,041 posts, read 13,125,241 times
Demand letter drafted. One more meeting to try to make things right amicably. All I want is the original contract price plus the estimated damages for the interior repair. Not trying to hustle the guy.

Hopefully, he will understand that to file proceedings would not be a good thing for him and would end up costing him much, much more.

Hate this situation. However, I am becoming quite the expert on architectural roofs and the requirements of a contractor in NC...

(those tuition dollars are at work...)

Old 08-19-2012, 08:12 AM

172 posts, read 406,617 times
If "Freddie" under-estimated his materials for your turn-key siding project, would you have a problem with paying him more money to compensate for his mistake?

Old 08-19-2012, 08:28 AM

8,402 posts, read 20,336,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatol View Post
If "Freddie" under-estimated his materials for your turn-key siding project, would you have a problem with paying him more money to compensate for his mistake?
Unless there was some unforseen circumstance, I would have a problem with being charged more than what was agreed upon. I've quoted installs for over 20 years. If I made a mistake, that's on me. I'm supposed to know my job. When we found issues that could not be seen before we started the work I'd go to the client and tell them what we found, and how it was going to affect their bill. People generally understand this, because I made them aware of the process before we started.

I have done installs in which the job came out to be less than expected, and in some cases I returned money to the client if I felt it was applicable. Generally that was a hardware issue, not labor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte