Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 01:03 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,974,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe55 View Post
What about northern areas up near, what is it Lake Norman?....
It's possible, but this is a very desirable area so prices are in opposition to what you list as a requirement. You might find something in Mooresville and points north. It gets significantly less expensive there once you move away from the lake. I wouldn't want to be commuting from there to downtown Charlotte however. There are some words that describe it but it's against the forum rules to use them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 01:03 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Thx but I disagree. I've nothing to lose in becoming familiar with the area and my options are housing/living-wise. And IMO there's little point in (seriously) looking for a job unless I have a good feeling for that ie to try and get a feel for if I want to live there in the first place...and housing is a huge part of that. But relax I am not the type to move somewhere THEN look for a job.

And IT jobs aren't easy to come by in most places but with my finance background I'm gambling that BofA or WF are as good of bets as any, to say nothing of the overall size of Charlotte not hurting either.....
It's just that Charlotte is VERY spread out, and there is no gaurantee that IF you get a job it would be in uptown, so deciding where to live is like putting the cart before the horse.

When BofA and WF hire these days, it's all contract workers, so do be prepared to buy your own insurance and pay your own moving costs, just FYI.

I do hope your background will help you get a job. I just know too many with stellar backgrounds and a wealth of experience who sure can't. It's just good to know what you may be facing

Old 08-17-2012, 01:42 PM

28 posts, read 39,772 times
Once more, I'm just thinking about this. Far from moving there. And I've already done a lot of contracting, but thx for the heads up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
It's possible, but this is a very desirable area so prices are in opposition to what you list as a requirement. You might find something in Mooresville and points north. It gets significantly less expensive there once you move away from the lake. I wouldn't want to be commuting from there to downtown Charlotte however. There are some words that describe it but it's against the forum rules to use them.
lol Thx - I wouldn't be looking right on or very near the lake per se, where of course prices soar (near water is always like that). Just wondering about that general direction.......

Old 08-17-2012, 01:50 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
IT is a generalization. Can you work in a cloud-type data center? If so, you should focus west of Charlotte.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:56 PM

Thx but I'm not interested in discussing jobs further at this point, just pros/cons of areas.

Old 08-17-2012, 02:00 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Thx but I'm not interested in discussing jobs further at this point, just pros/cons of areas.
I was not discussing jobs. I'm telling you that if you can do that type of IT work, you should be lookinng in the one area that you ignored, which is, incidently, easier to get to Uptown Charlotte from than the other areas that you asked about.

Don't worry, I'm out of this now.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:33 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,345,692 times
Well if the OP is willing to commute an hour, then he probably can get to most places within the metro in almost that time from even the outermost parts of town.

For example, according to google maps:
Mooresville to Fort Mill: 1 hour
Kannapolis to Rock Hill: 1 hour 2 minutes
Monroe to Denver: 1 hour 4 minutes
Midland to Gastonia: 1 hour 5 minutes

Yes traffic will add time to that, but those are some of the most extreme examples.

I would agree with the Concord and Midland suggestions.

In SC, you'd probably have to go down to Rock Hill to get what you were looking for.

Lake Norman along I-77 wouldn't work until you got to parts of Mooresville or even Troutman, but you couldn't really commute much further than uptown as even that would be pushing an hour, however if you were interested in the Lake Norman area parts of Denver might work.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Don't worry, I'm out of this now.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Well if the OP is willing to commute an hour, then he probably can get to most places within the metro in almost that time from even the outermost parts of town.

For example, according to google maps:
Mooresville to Fort Mill: 1 hour
Kannapolis to Rock Hill: 1 hour 2 minutes
Monroe to Denver: 1 hour 4 minutes
Midland to Gastonia: 1 hour 5 minutes

Yes traffic will add time to that, but those are some of the most extreme examples.

I would agree with the Concord and Midland suggestions.

In SC, you'd probably have to go down to Rock Hill to get what you were looking for.

Lake Norman along I-77 wouldn't work until you got to parts of Mooresville or even Troutman, but you couldn't really commute much further than uptown as even that would be pushing an hour, however if you were interested in the Lake Norman area parts of Denver might work.
Thank you.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:26 AM

107 posts, read 201,344 times
Hey there Joe55. I lived in Highland Creek subdivision for awhile on the Concord side. It was VERY convenient and they have some cookie cutter areas, and some very nice more unique areas. They are all different "villages" as they refer to them. We shopped around there at one point to buy (we were renting). The neighborhood has an HOA as most do, so no place is allowed to go to seed. We now live off of hwy 73 in between 77 and 85. It all feels VERY rural to me, comparatively speaking. I came from a township in OHIO where we were close to everything we needed. Here, I feel as though I live in the country. It is gorgeous to me! Lots of trees, and I frequently drive by farms, see livestock, and it seems as I am in the middle of no where, and yet relatively close to most things. It is north of the city, and I love a lot of neighborhoods out this way. It really depends on your point of reference and what you are used to. It was quite a culture shock to us coming here, In terms of the types of neighborhoods WE have been exposed to. My husband referred to many of them as 'vinyl city'. One of the areas we looked at was Skybrook, (there are 3 different ones) has pool, golf course etc. And some of the houses seem like they would fit your description, just not sure about price. Back in April there were some decent deals to be had. There is a ton of building going on up this way. Concord is a great suggestion, I like Davidson, Huntersville and Cornelius. That is my 2 cents. Before any of you climb my frame, this is MY limited experience in the area, being new myself. I am sure there are tons more.

Old 08-18-2012, 05:38 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,345,692 times
I doubt there'd be much if anything in Davidson or Cornelius that would fit his description. However that might depend on his definition of "elbow room."

Since OP said he doesn't care about schools there are also some deals to be found in the Mountain Island Lake area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte