Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 06:24 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,955,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingjulie View Post
Hey there Joe55. I lived in Highland Creek subdivision for awhile on the Concord side. It was VERY convenient and they have some cookie cutter areas, and some very nice more unique areas. They are all different "villages" as they refer to them. We shopped around there at one point to buy (we were renting). The neighborhood has an HOA as most do, so no place is allowed to go to seed. We now live off of hwy 73 in between 77 and 85. It all feels VERY rural to me, comparatively speaking. I came from a township in OHIO where we were close to everything we needed. Here, I feel as though I live in the country. It is gorgeous to me! Lots of trees, and I frequently drive by farms, see livestock, and it seems as I am in the middle of no where, and yet relatively close to most things. It is north of the city, and I love a lot of neighborhoods out this way. It really depends on your point of reference and what you are used to. It was quite a culture shock to us coming here, In terms of the types of neighborhoods WE have been exposed to. My husband referred to many of them as 'vinyl city'. One of the areas we looked at was Skybrook, (there are 3 different ones) has pool, golf course etc. And some of the houses seem like they would fit your description, just not sure about price. Back in April there were some decent deals to be had. There is a ton of building going on up this way. Concord is a great suggestion, I like Davidson, Huntersville and Cornelius. That is my 2 cents. Before any of you climb my frame, this is MY limited experience in the area, being new myself. I am sure there are tons more.
The OP is looking for land though. He won't get the land that he wants in any of those developments ( I have a home in one nearby and am renting in another). He could perhaps find something along 73 in Cabarrus county or further into Concord.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 08:46 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
The OP is looking for land though. He won't get the land that he wants in any of those developments ( I have a home in one nearby and am renting in another). He could perhaps find something along 73 in Cabarrus county or further into Concord.
Highway #16 in Lincoln County around Denver. It is out in the country and a 30 minute commute to Charlotte center.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:56 PM

28 posts, read 39,723 times
Thx all for replies. I don't need a lot of land per se, I just don't want to be in a place or area where everyone is jammed up next to each other. "Deep" lots don't mean much if there's almost no side yards. etc. Will keep this all in mind, thx again-!

Old 08-20-2012, 06:45 PM

186 posts, read 436,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe55 View Post
Once more, I'm just thinking about this. Far from moving there. And I've already done a lot of contracting, but thx for the heads up.

lol Thx - I wouldn't be looking right on or very near the lake per se, where of course prices soar (near water is always like that). Just wondering about that general direction.......
The Lake Norman area that everyone refers to consists mainly of Cornelius and Mooresville. Some consider Huntersville part of the area though no part of Huntersville actually fronts the lake. Thats the east side, the west side is the Denver area. Since you dont mind up to an hour commute, you might like this side of the lake, East Lincoln county - it'd be about 45-ish minutes straight down the Brookshire Frwy. The vast majority of housing in Cornelius is pretty new, and fairly cookie cutter though you can get a big yard. It truly is a suburban family area, though I consider it a bit more laid back and outdoorsy than say Ballantyne. That being said, I've seen plenty of single men living in the condos, retirees in patio homes and childless couples in houses etc. There are some bunglow type homes and some old colonials in Huntersville and a few in Cornelius, maybe an old farmhouse, these can be hard come to by and require loads of work on basics like plumbing and electrical. You might find something at your budget if you're willing to spend more to fix up and you'd have to watch listings pretty closely. Mooresville is further north, and absolutely would be an hour commute to Charlotte, I think people choose this area mainly because the schools have a better reputation than CMS. Hope this helps.

Old 08-22-2012, 05:51 PM

28 posts, read 39,723 times
Yes, and again thx, appreciate all the replies, definitely gives me something to mull over if I get more serious about this and/or start talking to realtors.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte