Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 12:19 PM

7 posts, read 11,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by devoneri View Post
Did you say anything special in court to help the matter out?
I'm assuming something along the lines of, "I'm sorry sir,I was wrong and it won't happen again."

This worked for me, and it shows humility and the err in your ways. Although some think that if you go in there and try and defend yourself against the citation and become a nuisance to the judge it may work. WRONG. Don't **** him off. Talk and plea with the DA and THEN be respectful and listen to the judge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 12:23 PM

245 posts, read 267,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolpt View Post
I'm assuming something along the lines of, "I'm sorry sir,I was wrong and it won't happen again."
Basically... they do not want to toss you in Jail or anything thye have bigger things to worry about. They will look at the ticket and tell you what they are going to do. If you act humble it will be ok. If you go in with a chip on your shoulder they might make you do some driving courses. Remember the DA had final word hope he/she is in a good mood and they guy before you did not **** em off

Old 10-04-2007, 12:31 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,424,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by devoneri View Post
So just like that? Show up & it's typically reduced? Neither of us have ever had a ticket in our lives to know if there's any sort of "thing to say/not say" so he's just nervous.
Basically yes. I got popped for 84 in a 60 when I first moved here (and I was actually going faster than that). The assistant DA reduced it to 69 in a 60 (she was around my age and very attractive. I was single and wanted to ask her out, but that's off topic). Raised my insurance a little bit. You can also take a driving course and have your insurance reduced by 10% (though the courts in NC don't usually make you do so or inform you of this).

Old 10-04-2007, 12:57 PM

876 posts, read 3,792,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKNArea View Post
Please I was doing 19 over last year following a State Trooper and was pulled. Please do not scare these people. If thye were going to take it they would have done it on the spot.

Speeding on a highway is much different than a local roadway...

I'm not particular on NC traffic law, but I do know that highway and local speeding has different consequences for different speeds...

Old 10-04-2007, 12:59 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,424,271 times
The law is 25 over the limit and you lose your license. This is a state law and local jurisdictions also enforce it.

Old 10-04-2007, 02:03 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,910,413 times
I found the following info in the NCDOT Driver's Handbook:

Your driving privilege will be revoked for at least 30 days if you are convicted of:
  • driving any vehicle more than 15 mph over the speed limit, if you are driving at a speed higher than 55 mph.
It seems as though license revocation depends on how much over 55 mph you were going. If your fiance is convicted of driving 71 mph in a 55 mph zone, his license will, in fact, be revoked.

Old 10-04-2007, 02:12 PM

537 posts, read 1,767,856 times
Was this in Mecklenburg County?

Old 10-04-2007, 02:37 PM

44 posts, read 234,180 times
I was in Union County and I passed a state trooper doing 60 (maybe more) on a 45 MPH road. I went to court and the DA dropped it to improper equipment, the only question he asked was if it was my first speeding ticket, which it was.
My impression is that the are looking more for the fine ($145) rather than convict you for the ticket.

Old 10-04-2007, 02:41 PM

249 posts, read 875,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbJ View Post

Your driving privilege will be revoked for at least 30 days if you are convicted of:
  • driving any vehicle more than 15 mph over the speed limit, if you are driving at a speed higher than 55 mph.
It seems as though license revocation depends on how much over 55 mph you were going. If your fiance is convicted of driving 71 mph in a 55 mph zone, his license will, in fact, be revoked.
Boy, if the law was really enforced like this there wouldn't be anyone driving on the highways here

At the end of the day, they want your money not your license. It's 95% revenue generation.

Old 10-04-2007, 04:15 PM

673 posts, read 2,680,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbJ View Post

This is true. I just took the test for my NC driver's license & the law is driving 15mph above the speed limit on a highway could result in license suspension.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: