U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 11:26 AM

64 posts, read 343,289 times

Advertisements

My fiance got a speeding ticket for going 16mph over the posted speed recently (which was BS but that's another story).

Any tips on successful ways to approach the court trial? He's not getting a lawyer or anything, just wondering what sort of things are good to say. He's hoping to get it reduced to 14mph & avoid the points, etc. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 11:41 AM

1,435 posts, read 5,228,190 times
Uhh, I'm pretty sure 14mph over would still bring a good amount of points. Both insurance and license to boot.

I would contact George Laughrun to handle the ticket. He used to a be a DA a long time ago and is a very well known and respected defense attorney.

My personal opinion is an attorney fee saves you about 3-5 years in increased insurance rates.

Old 10-04-2007, 11:48 AM

His court date is tomorrow.

Old 10-04-2007, 11:53 AM

245 posts, read 197,227 times
Go to court. Pay the fine around $100 court cost $50 fine and the DA will probably reduce it to something like improper equipment. No biggie just time.

Old 10-04-2007, 11:57 AM

So just like that? Show up & it's typically reduced? Neither of us have ever had a ticket in our lives to know if there's any sort of "thing to say/not say" so he's just nervous.

Old 10-04-2007, 12:04 PM

1,435 posts, read 5,228,190 times
Well in that case! Ha ha tomorrow, talk about last minute.

My fiance just went through this herself. She went to court and the DA asked if anyone was there to represent themselves. She spoke with him directly before court began and he reduced her sitation to a lesser offense. Since this is his first ticket they will most likely do two things: (1) offer a reduced speed and pay a fine OR (2) he can do whats called a Prair for Judgement. This means he will pay a fee, take a 4 hour class and cannot receive another ticket for 3 years. No points, no insurance increase.

Old 10-04-2007, 12:11 PM

Yeah its real simple. It's just another way for them to get money out of you. show up early. You will have to hand your ticket in. So the later you are the lest chance you are to the front. The DA will call you up and talk with you and go from there. I had 3 tickets last year and all were reduced to improper equipment which never showed on insurance just my bank account each time I had to pay that damn fine!

Old 10-04-2007, 12:12 PM

12 posts, read 54,579 times
You have a big problem:

>>>speeding ticket for going 16mph over

"16 mph over" in NC is automatic suspension of driving privileges. There may even be jail time, etc. AND THEN there is the insurance hit you will have for the next 3 years.

You need a lawyer to finagle a way to keep your license... even it it is only for driving to and from work!

This is serious.

Old 10-04-2007, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmcswain View Post
You have a big problem:

>>>speeding ticket for going 16mph over

"16 mph over" in NC is automatic suspension of driving privileges. There may even be jail time, etc. AND THEN there is the insurance hit you will have for the next 3 years.

You need a lawyer to finagle a way to keep your license... even it it is only for driving to and from work!

This is serious.

Please I was doing 19 over last year following a State Trooper and was pulled. Please do not scare these people. If thye were going to take it they would have done it on the spot.

Old 10-04-2007, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKNArea View Post
Please I was doing 19 over last year following a State Trooper and was pulled. Please do not scare these people. If thye were going to take it they would have done it on the spot.
Did you say anything special in court to help the matter out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or