U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 09:34 AM

3,454 posts, read 3,134,336 times

Advertisements

Was the price tag $300 million? Sounds like a pipe dream to me if they're depending on private funding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 10:50 AM

277 posts, read 580,033 times
How about we leave the animals where they belong, in their natural habitat? What gives us the right to imprison them against their will?

Zoo's can be very depressing, especially when it comes to larger animals.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:10 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,711,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89quattro View Post
How about we leave the animals where they belong, in their natural habitat? What gives us the right to imprison them against their will?

Animals are better off being part of the food chain and getting eaten by other animals that are even bigger. I agree that an aquarium with a zoo would be a great crowd pleaser.

Seriously 89quattro, I do agree that some zoos are depressing. I was in the Colchester, UK. zoo last year and watched teenagers feeding elephants popcorn boxes. Pretty discusting behavior at a pretty discusting zoo. I believe that a zoo in Charlotte would be well kept and have a descent draw if in the right location. In Charlotte, it is all about location, location. I believe that the whitewater rafting center would be packed if in a better location. That would also apply to a zoo location.

Last edited by vindaloo; 08-22-2012 at 11:22 AM..

Old 08-22-2012, 11:26 AM

11,723 posts, read 9,346,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89quattro View Post

That used to be the case back in the day....

But nowadays zoo animals are living the good life. Most are injured or born in captivity and wouldn't have a clue how to survive in the wild.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:18 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,711,313 times
Charlotte used to have a zoo on Wilkinson Blvd. I guess it went down the tubes when the elephant got loose. I know that it has been mentioned before, but there is a nice petting/drive through zoo in Mooresville. I was pleasantly surprised when I visited it. Tons of wild animals that slobber all over your car. What the heck, it washes off anyway.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:56 PM

1,401 posts, read 1,704,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bindibadji View Post
Charlotte used to have a zoo on Wilkinson Blvd. I guess it went down the tubes when the elephant got loose. I know that it has been mentioned before, but there is a nice petting/drive through zoo in Mooresville. I was pleasantly surprised when I visited it. Tons of wild animals that slobber all over your car. What the heck, it washes off anyway.
That's the Lazy 5 Ranch that SunnyKayak mentioned. There's a petting zoo and other exhibits with smaller animals to walk through and a bigger area to drive through or take a horse drawn wagon. It's a great outing for the kids! It's in Rowan County east of Mooresville. North Carolina Animal Park | Lazy 5 Ranch

Old 08-23-2012, 03:42 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,746,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bindibadji View Post
bindi, I am shocked that someone else remembers the zoo on Wilkinson. It was called Airport Amusement Park, and opened in the mid 1940's. They had a zoo with an elephant named "Vickie". When the park closed in 1959, Pat Hall (founder of Carowinds) bought "Vickie", and her offspring ended up at Carowinds in 1973.

Here is a 1957 ad showing the park. It was located out Wilkinson, near where the Copal Grill was. I was not even born when Airport Amusement Park was around but have been researching old Charlotte amusements parks for some time. There were at least 5 not counting Carowinds. Playland Park was also on Wilkinson near Ashely Rd. Both parks closed in 1959.
Attached Thumbnails
Charlotte is getting a Zoological Park soon-airportpark.jpg  

Old 08-23-2012, 03:52 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,484,987 times
I love reading everyone share of Charlotte history on this forum.

The above had me thinking route they should go a mixture of an affordable amusement park & zoo.
Something a mix of Lazy Five and Dan Nicolas Park.
If the above land plot is right and its beside Catawba River they could offer kayak, canoe outfitter to go from there to the Whitewater Center.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:34 AM

9,114 posts, read 15,641,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
That used to be the case back in the day....

But nowadays zoo animals are living the good life. Most are injured or born in captivity and wouldn't have a clue how to survive in the wild.
Have you been to Riverbanks lately? The overall upkeep has gone way downhill.....

Some of the larger animals its very depressing to view them because of the small areas they have to roam and the upkeep isn't great.

Asheboro has a much better setup IMO...(seems like more areas for the animals to roam and its maintained better......)

Old 08-24-2012, 11:46 AM

11,723 posts, read 9,346,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Have you been to Riverbanks lately? The overall upkeep has gone way downhill.....

Some of the larger animals its very depressing to view them because of the small areas they have to roam and the upkeep isn't great.

Asheboro has a much better setup IMO...(seems like more areas for the animals to roam and its maintained better......)
Never been to Riverbanks or Asheboro... I went to the zoo in Columbia.

I should have clarified that I was talking about zoo's in major cities... in this day and age I think all zoos should have adequate space for the animals.

just realized Riverbanks is the zoo in Columbia..lol. I thought the upkeep and space for large animals was pretty nice IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte