Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 09:23 AM

330 posts, read 1,036,162 times

Advertisements

Not enough Gaston love on this board, so figured I would start this up. All opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect reality as you may know it.

Best steakhouse:
Old Stone Steakhouse, 23 S. Main Street, Belmont - For my money, this is not only the best steakhouse in Gaston, it is the best overall restaurant in Gaston. Potato sticks and dried cranberries on salads are addictive.

Best pizza:
Portofino's, 3736 E Franklin Blvd, Gastonia - NO contest here. All other pizza places around here are downright terrible. This place ranks up there with Hawthorne's in Charlotte as my favorite pizza in the area.

Best barbecue:
(Tie)Alfred & Charlie's BBQ House, 815 New Hope Rd, Gastonia; RO's Barbecue, 1318 Gaston Ave, Gastonia - Both excellent. I have never actually eaten inside RO's restaurant, as they have a truck that stops off at the gas station up the street from me.

Best Mexican:
La Fuente Bar & Grill, 3070 E. Franklin Blvd, Gastonia - Wife loves it here. I am not as big a fan of Mexican as she is, but the fajitas here are damn good.

Best Bar food:
Belmont Food & Beverage, 124 Main Street, Belmont - Cool little bar in downtown Belmont. If I lived closer, I would go here way more than I should.

Best burger: Five Guys Famous Burgers and Fries, 3044 E Franklin Blvd, Gastonia. - Beats the hell out of fast food fare.

Best ice cream:
Tony's Ice Cream, 604 E Franklin Blvd, Gastonia - If this place isn't famous, it sure as hell should be.

That's all I got. Would love for people to add their own favorites to this list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 01:47 PM

24 posts, read 77,014 times
I recenntly dined at Old Steak House and the following week at Morton's. IMHO, any time I want my steak "Goodbye Morton's, Old Steakhouse here I come".

Old 03-03-2008, 05:38 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,678,796 times
Anyone who lives in Gaston County who hasn't had a taste of Firehouse Fish n' Fixins (on Linwood Rd. in Gastonia) or the Shrimp Boat (the one on Broad Street in downtown Gastonia) really is missing some good local food. The Shrimp Boat on Bessemer City Rd. is okay, but just doesn't compare to its big brother. Firehouse has been featured on The Food Network, I think, for its Super Burgers. I'm a big eater and it usually takes me two sittings in order to finish this sandwich!

I also must mention Black's BBQ on 321 in Gastonia. I've not had the opportunity to eat there that much in the recent past, but the food was always delicious!

Last edited by IBrakeforTailgaters; 03-03-2008 at 05:40 PM.. Reason: Left out some pertinent info

Old 03-03-2008, 09:11 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMF View Post
Not enough Gaston love on this board, so figured I would start this up. All opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect reality as you may know it.

Best steakhouse:
Old Stone Steakhouse, 23 S. Main Street, Belmont - For my money, this is not only the best steakhouse in Gaston, it is the best overall restaurant in Gaston. Potato sticks and dried cranberries on salads are addictive.

Best pizza:
Portofino's, 3736 E Franklin Blvd, Gastonia - NO contest here. All other pizza places around here are downright terrible. This place ranks up there with Hawthorne's in Charlotte as my favorite pizza in the area.

Best barbecue:
(Tie)Alfred & Charlie's BBQ House, 815 New Hope Rd, Gastonia; RO's Barbecue, 1318 Gaston Ave, Gastonia - Both excellent. I have never actually eaten inside RO's restaurant, as they have a truck that stops off at the gas station up the street from me.

Best Mexican:
La Fuente Bar & Grill, 3070 E. Franklin Blvd, Gastonia - Wife loves it here. I am not as big a fan of Mexican as she is, but the fajitas here are damn good.

Best Bar food:
Belmont Food & Beverage, 124 Main Street, Belmont - Cool little bar in downtown Belmont. If I lived closer, I would go here way more than I should.

Best burger: Five Guys Famous Burgers and Fries, 3044 E Franklin Blvd, Gastonia. - Beats the hell out of fast food fare.

Best ice cream:
Tony's Ice Cream, 604 E Franklin Blvd, Gastonia - If this place isn't famous, it sure as hell should be.

That's all I got. Would love for people to add their own favorites to this list.
Looks like it's time for a road trip! Thanks for the tip on the Old Stone Steakhouse

Old 03-04-2008, 06:19 AM

44 posts, read 153,106 times
Default Best BBQ

Kyle Fletchers on Wilkinson Blvd. in Lowell is the BEST BB-Q in Gaston County. "Get Porked At Kyles". then Bridges in Shelby! trust me on this!!

Old 03-04-2008, 06:23 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,451,484 times
Tony's Ice cream is awesome! I think that Market Street Pizza in Cramerton is really good. Sake in Mt. Holly/Gastonia has the best "express" japanese food!

Old 03-04-2008, 11:28 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,211,245 times
Nice thread LAMF (I even tried to give you some postive reps..but to no avail....I must go share the love with others first )

..as I have been waiting for the longest time to find out how the Old Stone Steakhouse was....this is GREAT news!!

Old 03-04-2008, 11:33 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,552,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Looks like it's time for a road trip! Thanks for the tip on the Old Stone Steakhouse
You can't stop there. After the steak...you have to head down Franklin Blvd (Highway 74) towards downtown Gastonia for a stop a Tony's Ice Cream. Be prepared to wait though. Especially in warm weather & weekends.

Worth the wait!

Old 03-04-2008, 12:07 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas View Post
Nice thread LAMF (I even tried to give you some postive reps..but to no avail....I must go share the love with others first )

..as I have been waiting for the longest time to find out how the Old Stone Steakhouse was....this is GREAT news!!
Like I said - time for a ROAD TRIP!! Hope they are open for lunch

Old 03-04-2008, 12:08 PM

330 posts, read 1,036,162 times
I had really selfish reasons for posting this, as I was hoping that others would add some restaurants to this list (I am still new here, so want to find all the hidden gems this county has to offer). Thanks for coming through, and keep 'em coming!

And yes, Old Stone was such a pleasant surprise, and we have tried to make it as much a part of our routine as possible. It is worth the trip, although just strolling through downtown Belmont is worth the trip in and of itself.

Now, how can I convince my seafood hating wife to check out Firehouse ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte