U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 07:29 PM

4 posts, read 5,411 times

Advertisements

So, I recently moved to Charlotte around a year ago and have gotten a few tickets, one of which must have slipped my mind. I recently received a letter stating that if i did not come to the court and speak with the DA my license would be suspended by 9/9. I'm a resident of SC, and went back last week to find that my license had been suspended in that state for the SAME TICKET on 8/3.

My dilemma is I literally can not get off of work to go to see the DA. I'm wondering cost/benefit of a traffic ticket lawyer. I barely have enough to pay what i think the ticket will cost, so if a lawyer can't lower or drop points, there's no need to spend the extra money. Would I be able to get a friend to go pay the ticket for me? I tried to pay online but it would not let me. I've also tried calling SEVERAL times to no avail. I believe my out of state situation may present a problem.

Anyone with similar experience that can offer some advice would be EXTREMELY APPRECIATED. Cheers and hope everyone has an excellent weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 08:27 PM

904 posts, read 1,402,556 times
Charlotte NC Personal Injury DWI DUI Traffic Ticket Speeding Ticket Attorney Rosensteel Fleishman, PLLC Mr. Rosensteel handles traffic tickets.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:52 AM

3,185 posts, read 5,786,698 times
I hope you arent saying you have a NC and a SC license at the same time.You cant do that. It is illegal. PS you can not live here for a year and then be a resident of another state if you apply for NC license. I think you screwed up driving in SC and moved to NC and tried to get a license here ..YOU cant do that. You entire story shows we dont know the entire truth...You best go to court because the DA knows how to sort out just what is what....

Last edited by crestliner; 08-25-2012 at 01:03 AM..

Old 08-25-2012, 07:18 AM

5,885 posts, read 7,742,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
I hope you arent saying you have a NC and a SC license at the same time.You cant do that. It is illegal. PS you can not live here for a year and then be a resident of another state if you apply for NC license. I think you screwed up driving in SC and moved to NC and tried to get a license here ..YOU cant do that. You entire story shows we dont know the entire truth...You best go to court because the DA knows how to sort out just what is what....
Sounds like OP still has a permanent residence in SC and only one license...in SC.

To the OP, I would suggest to call out/take a sick day and see the DA.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:26 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,160,016 times
You need an attorney and you need one quickly. This situation is going to end with your not having a way to drive to get to work.

Call an attorney, do what can be done over the phone, but if you need to show up for a meeting. DO IT. Lying about being sick to take off time from work isn't going to get you into the amount of SH&T losing your license will.

As far as paying the ticket and the attorney, well here's the thing. You won't be able to make any money at all if you lose your ability to drive and can't get to work. So if you have to sell something, use a credit card, borrow money from friends and relatives - DO IT. You don't seem to realize what a mess you are in.

Old 08-25-2012, 04:00 PM

My work requires me to be in Charlotte, which has been approx 10 months, I don't "permanently" live here. And what would be the logic behind having two licenses? I just didn't see the hassle of switching my permanent residence for an extended assignment. I am just looking for advice on lawyers and how they handle traffic tickets in Mecklenburg county, especially for out of state drivers.

Old 08-25-2012, 04:01 PM

And the mess I am in is paying the ticket before 9/9 and paying the $100 dollar restitution fee in SC. Just thought it was odd that the state that I was speeding in gave me more time than my home state to pay the ticket.

Old 08-25-2012, 04:03 PM

Oh, and btw, when giving advice, make sure you know what the he** you're talking about. Waivers are obtainable for work, school, ect. Picked the wrong place to ask for advice, I guess, except USC and GOPHILLS.

Old 08-25-2012, 04:27 PM

3,185 posts, read 5,786,698 times
My advice is to show up for court and explain it to the judge. Then the judge will do some talking and give you some more advice and unlike the advice you get here it will NOT BE FREE.....lol

Old 08-25-2012, 05:52 PM

3,914 posts, read 3,955,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory.burriss View Post
My dilemma is I literally can not get off of work to go to see the DA. I'm wondering cost/benefit of a traffic ticket lawyer. I barely have enough to pay what i think the ticket will cost, so if a lawyer can't lower or drop points, there's no need to spend the extra money. Would I be able to get a friend to go pay the ticket for me? I tried to pay online but it would not let me. I've also tried calling SEVERAL times to no avail. I believe my out of state situation may present a problem. .....
No a friend can't resolve this for you. If you failed to show up for a court date, your problems are a lot worse than paying a fine. Not only do you have the issue with your SC license, but there may be a warrant for your arrest in NC. This is from the NC Magistrate's site:
FAILURE TO APPEAR
... A failure to appear as directed can have severe consequences that include arrest and incarceration. Any bond that may have been posted to secure your presence in court will be forfeited and may be subject to civil execution. In addition, twenty days after your failure to appear, the North Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles will suspend your driver's license and you will be subject to additional fines and penalties before your license is restored or renewed.
Out of state residents should understand that North Carolina is a member of the Nonresident Violator Compact and that a license suspension or serious violation in any member state is reflected as a suspension or violation in all member states. An out of state motorist who ignores a citation in North Carolina will likely by unable to obtain a license in another state, or even renew a license until the citation is resolved and the right to drive in North Carolina is restored.
Most states also exchange information under the North Carolina Drivers License Compact -- an agreement that triggers enforcement action on drivers who receive multiple citations in different states.
You might want to think about taking off from work to get this resolved. A number of years ago I a friend of mine who lives in SC didn't pay a NC ticket and he ended up getting a visit from a SC Deputy. My advice is you don't want to let it go that far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte