Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 03:18 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,444,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Normally, Ani, you're a voice of reason. But not here. You scoff at how the atheist organization presented their reason for taking down the signs. Do you know what the reasons are? Have you seen the letters? Are you in touch with the sign company to know if they only bought the signs for a month? No, you don't know any of this, but you assume the worst from them, because you don't agree with their message.

Why does it have to be spin?

This is exactly what some people dislike about the religious crowd.
Well, maybe you didn't read what I wrote correctly.

I find it ironic that a crowd being accused of hate speech says their message was denounced using hate speech.

You gotta admit: that is ironic.

Now, as for my other statements . . . I have been in public relations and marketing for a looooooong time and I know a spin when I see one. I do not doubt a bit that they got all sorts of protests about those signs. Why someone would BOTHER to even address it is beyond me, but I know some folks felt personally assaulted (wh/ was their right).

You are going to take seriously the "reasons" given by a group that purposely, with great deliberation, put up billboards totally to get a rise out of people, openly insult them? And then you think that type of group is gonna take the billboards down cause some righteously indignant citizen wrote and told them something along the lines of . . . Imma gonna whup your arse . . . I mean . . . I am just shaking my head over this one. If they were THAT thin-skinned, they wouldnt' have put them up to begin with.

Anyway, I am sorry you are disappointed with me, b/c actually, you should be impressed b/c if you had been the atheists and had me for your PR person . .. when you ran out of money . . . I would have helped you spin the story in such a way that you end up looking martyred.

Oh wait. They didn't need my help - That is what they did! Maybe their attorney, who is having the letters fingerprinted by the FBI, advised them to take the billboards down, and plead intimidation, as he was preparing his trumped up hate speech/intimidation lawsuit.

I know - cynical, much? Hey. I can't help it. I have seen it all and I know what spin looks like.

Next Chapter: Atheists Sue Christians Over Hate Speech and Threats
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 03:39 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,213,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

I find it ironic that a crowd being accused of hate speech says their message was denounced using hate speech.

Now, as for my other statements . . . I have been in public relations and marketing for a looooooong time and I know a spin when I see one. I do not doubt a bit that they got all sorts of protests about those signs. Why someone would BOTHER to even address it is beyond me, but I know some folks felt personally assaulted (wh/ was their right).

You are going to take seriously the "reasons" given by a group that purposely, with great deliberation, put up billboards totally to get a rise out of people, openly insult them? And then you think that type of group is gonna take the billboards down cause some righteously indignant citizen wrote and told them something along the lines of . . . Imma gonna whup your arse . . . I mean . . . I am just shaking my head over this one. If they were THAT thin-skinned, they wouldnt' have put them up to begin with.

Anyway, I am sorry you are disappointed with me, b/c actually, you should be impressed b/c if you had been the atheists and had me for your PR person . .. when you ran out of money . . . I would have helped you spin the story in such a way that you end up looking martyred.

Oh wait. They didn't need my help - That is what they did! Maybe their attorney, who is having the letters fingerprinted by the FBI, advised them to take the billboards down, and plead intimidation, as he was preparing his trumped up hate speech/intimidation lawsuit.

I know - cynical, much? Hey. I can't help it. I have seen it all and I know what spin looks like.

Maybe it is all spin, and I'm cynical by nature as well, but it seems that many people (meaning people who don't agree with the atheists message) are willing to assume the worst about them at all turns. And like many believers, those people present their unsubstantiated opinions as facts, then get on their soap boxes based on those opinions. Many of the comments in this thread and the one about the signs being put up are grossly hypocritical, and that irony is not amusing.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:47 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,637,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bindibadji View Post
There is nothing as annoying as the athiest blaming all wars and evil on Christianity. When is the last time we have had a war about religion in this country. Answer? Never.

Get over it and let people believe what they want. Sometimes it is embarrasing being a non-believer because of the other ones.
We haven't. gone to war over religion but I cringe when I hear "I've prayed about it and God told me to go to war"

I wonder if God is shaking his/her/its head when we pray for victory or guidance before firing rockets....

Chris rock had a movie where he was running for president. His opponents tag line.."God Bless America and no one else"

Old 08-28-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Maybe it is all spin, and I'm cynical by nature as well, but it seems that many people (meaning people who don't agree with the atheists message) are willing to assume the worst about them at all turns. And like many believers, those people present their unsubstantiated opinions as facts, then get on their soap boxes based on those opinions. Many of the comments in this thread and the one about the signs being put up are grossly hypocritical, and that irony is not amusing.
well, my spiritual beliefs would have had me in chains and on the rack (or worse) during the Inquisition.

I respect folks right to believe and their right not to believe. I don't think it is right to disparage anyone's beliefs. But here's where I think the atheists screwed up.

If they had put up a billboard that said something along the lines of "Will you only love me if I say I love your God?" . . . then that is thought provoking. But they ATTACKED and it had a political slant - against 2 public figures - and it was definitely mocking and derisive, even tho I happen to LOL myself when someone pops up with a Mary in the Toast or Jesus in my Cheetos type thing.

There is a way to make a point without literally BEGGING others to toss a stone back.

Of course, that is where the irony comes in . . . cause I can tell ya . . . if I had been the minister in some church come Sunday morning after those Billboards went up . . . what I would have been preaching is . . . "Turn the other cheek."

Old 08-28-2012, 03:55 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,676,096 times
Quote:

It's offical...

I have appointed myself president of your fan club

Old 08-28-2012, 04:06 PM

Quote:
There is nothing as annoying as the athiest blaming all wars and evil on Christianity. When is the last time we have had a war about religion in this country. Answer? Never.

Get over it and let people believe what they want. Sometimes it is embarrasing being a non-believer because of the other ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
We haven't. gone to war over religion but I cringe when I hear "I've prayed about it and God told me to go to war"

I wonder if God is shaking his/her/its head when we pray for victory or guidance before firing rockets....

Chris rock had a movie where he was running for president. His opponents tag line.."God Bless America and no one else"
You and Bindi know there are other countries besides the US, correct? And that for many hundreds of years millions of people have been tortured and killed in the name of religion and/or a wide variety of gods, both in dozens of wars and other actions, right?

It's a bit shortsighted to think that atheists disagree only with Christianity, or that only recent wars and actions here in the US count when considering the negative affect that people using religion as a reason to torture and kill has had on the public.

Come on people, just look up religious wars. Look at the facts. I'm not here to bash religion but let's not pretend that it hasn't had a long violent history.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
It's offical...

I have appointed myself president of your fan club
But but but . . .how will that work when I am already president of yours?

Let's just declare ourselves a MAS (mutual admiration society). Open membership. No dues. No rules, except:

1. First, be nice
2. If you can't be nice, be smart
3. If you can't be nice or smart, please be amusing.
4. Love and Respect everyone, even if they are not being nice, smart, or amusing.
5. Never forget: Every dog has his day . . . and . . . what goes around, comes around

Peace <3

Old 08-28-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
well, my spiritual beliefs would have had me in chains and on the rack (or worse) during the Inquisition.

I respect folks right to believe and their right not to believe. I don't think it is right to disparage anyone's beliefs. But here's where I think the atheists screwed up.

If they had put up a billboard that said something along the lines of "Will you only love me if I say I love your God?" . . . then that is thought provoking. But they ATTACKED and it had a political slant - against 2 public figures - and it was definitely mocking and derisive, even tho I happen to LOL myself when someone pops up with a Mary in the Toast or Jesus in my Cheetos type thing.

There is a way to make a point without literally BEGGING others to toss a stone back.

Of course, that is where the irony comes in . . . cause I can tell ya . . . if I had been the minister in some church come Sunday morning after those Billboards went up . . . what I would have been preaching is . . . "Turn the other cheek."
Speaking of being attacked, I think that billions of people thinking (and being all too willing to tell me) that I'm going to hell if I don't believe in only their god trumps a couple billboards. The rest is just timing and splitting hairs, IMHO. Yes it was political, but that was the point. As Felt pointed out, it scares me when people who can affect an entire country by their decisions use religion as a basis for those decisions. That's what the atheists are trying to say, I think.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:19 PM

Quote:
You and Bindi know there are other countries besides the US, correct? And that for many hundreds of years millions of people have been tortured and killed in the name of religion and/or a wide variety of gods, both in dozens of wars and other actions, right?

It's a bit shortsighted to think that atheists disagree only with Christianity, or that only recent wars and actions here in the US count when considering the negative affect that people using religion as a reason to torture and kill has had on the public.

Come on people, just look up religious wars. Look at the facts. I'm not here to bash religion but let's not pretend that it hasn't had a long violent history.
Absolutely.

Even the Vatican has waged wars.

Look at the Muslims . . . I am no expert on this, but here is a story from the last 24 hours - anti-Shia muslims killing their fellow muslims.

“If this isn’t Shia genocide, what is?” | DAWN.COM

Some religions see anyone outside their religion as devils who should be killed and sent to hell.

But just b/c there are radicals out there killing in the name of ( insert name here) . . . that has nothing to do with spirituality. A belief in a god is not a ticket to violence. Men twist religion to use it as a tool for their own political purposes.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:34 PM
NDL

4,516 posts, read 5,641,789 times
Quote:
You assume my comment was about faith, when it was not. It was about a group bending under the pressure of another group. The rest of your post is nothing more than your opinion, which I'm sure you expect everyone else to accept, even while saying the atheists comments are laughable. Seems hypocritical, don't you think?
It was points made by the article that I referred to, which continually used the word 'hate.' It was the points made in the article that I vehemently disagreed with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte